TWS

IRememberJeep

When my air contacts are confirmed enemies (red diamond on the DDI), TWS never locks them, whatever I do. I can lock them only in RWS mode. Why is that???

It could be that you haven’t got them on your own radar and it is a datalink target. Check they are within your azimuth and elevation for the scan.

When my air contacts are confirmed enemies (red diamond on the DDI), TWS never locks them, whatever I do. I can lock them only in RWS mode. Why is that???
Are you sure you're getting full HAFUs, with ranks? If you can't interact with it and it has no rank, it means that's it's an off-board only contact. If it's from AWACS, it should also be smaller than a full-size HAFU symbol and not ranked.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It could be that you haven’t got them on your own radar and it is a datalink target. Check they are within your azimuth and elevation for the scan.

It might be that. How can I chech them with my azimuth and elevation?

It might be that. How can I chech them with my azimuth and elevation?

Go to the SA page and move the TDC over the contact. You'll get speed and altitude info on the HAFU and bearing and other info on the bottom right of the page. You can then adjust your radar parameters in order to make sure that the contact is within your search pattern.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a HOTAS command to enter TWS?

AFAIK there is not, which is a pretty bad design choice IMHO :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Navy HOTAS integration is weirdly sub-par, compared to AF.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Navy HOTAS integration is weirdly sub-par, compared to AF.

True, the same goes for the AV8.

There's something on Navy's way of thinking about HOTAS that doesn't really make sense to me

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

There's something on Navy's way of thinking about HOTAS that doesn't really make sense to me

I feel ya. It's the logic behind the Navy's HOTAS systems that somehow escapes me, unlike the AF HOTAS systems...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The Navy didn’t design the HOTAS, McDonnell Douglas did.

Based on Navy demands...

Tornado3 small.jpg

Is there a HOTAS command to enter TWS?

This is so incredibly simple to do:

Assign that MFD OSB button (#5 maybe?) to your HOTAS. Done...

I operate radar elevation, azimith, bar scan, range, RWS/TWS switching, etc...all from my HOTAS using this method.

For people who cry, "Not realistic!"... Until Thrustmaster provides a 1:1 scale hornet cockpit complete with all switches and knobs for under $999, we have to make compromises. :)

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

another question to TWS ...

how can i leave TWS to RWS ?

Even if i select TWS button twice, RWS appears, but all behaviours from RWS is changed to TWS ...

i.e.

- auto designate first contact

- no undesignate

- star in HAFu

- etc.

A little bit confusing. I think, that is not RWS :)

The only way for me to get pure RWS is to switch off/on the whole Radar ...

Any tipps ?

too much ...

This is so incredibly simple to do:

Assign that MFD OSB button (#5 maybe?) to your HOTAS. Done...

I operate radar elevation, azimith, bar scan, range, RWS/TWS switching, etc...all from my HOTAS using this method.

For people who cry, "Not realistic!"... Until Thrustmaster provides a 1:1 scale hornet cockpit complete with all switches and knobs for under $999, we have to make compromises. :)

Correct, for a RL pilot takes a second to extend his right arm and change the radar to TWS. For us the same requires reaching a mouse and pressing the button that can be more troublesome.

I also agree that without the permissiveness of the Navy Boeing would not have developed such a HOTAS system, or at least it would not have stayed like that for so many hornet lots and versions.

Correct, for a RL pilot takes a second to extend his right arm and change the radar to TWS. For us the same requires reaching a mouse and pressing the button that can be more troublesome.

I also agree that without the permissiveness of the Navy Boeing would not have developed such a HOTAS system, or at least it would not have stayed like that for so many hornet lots and versions.

Not 100% sure on this, BUT, I believe in the real jet, you can slew the TDC outside of the Radar display area and hover over some of the settings and depress the SCS to select it. Its not implmented in DCS though.

another question to TWS ...

how can i leave TWS to RWS ?

Even if i select TWS button twice, RWS appears, but all behaviours from RWS is changed to TWS ...

i.e.

- auto designate first contact

- no undesignate

- star in HAFu

- etc.

A little bit confusing. I think, that is not RWS :)

The only way for me to get pure RWS is to switch off/on the whole Radar ...

Any tipps ?

It's not just LTWS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.