Performance hit with the new cockpit

Hardcard

have you tried disabling the mirrors?

(also try the usual suspects: delete mods, verify/repair dcs, check drivers, delete metashaders/fxo)

reverting back is only possible if you revert back to stable branch, which still has the old cockpit.

I’m not noticing any mentionable hit with the mirrors flipped down.. VR user.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

@twistking

I always play without mirrors and delete fxo & metashaders folders after each update... those aren't the cause.

Same mission, same locations, everything is the same but the cockpit... performance is consistently down by ~20fps when compared to the old cockpit.

Also, the rest of my FF modules perform within expected parameters (40-60+ fps, depending on object count around me).

Seems like this new A10C cockpit has optimization problems, at least with AMD cards.

Edited by Hardcard

If only our hardwarez would allow us to put another graphics card in there for teh mirrorz :(

... oh look there's another XMAS present left unopened ...

But anyway, let me think about that one, since multi-gpu setups faded as the benefits were limited and it hit all kinds of technical hurdles, there's something going on with checkered rendering method, and as DCS will be using and already is a lot more views, it's going to benefit from such a thing one that hopefully, it's not like only DCS has mirrors, but the idea I had here was kinda interesting if another GPU would for example help render the TGP and other views and it would be kinda feeded into the main GPU as passthru , if that's even possible without HW support and API (doubt it), and if it's not ready it would just send previous frame, but 1 frame of a mismatch is nothing and you would never tell the difference if your airplane is 10 meters closer to a target 5 miles away than the TGP view is showing it, and there be no those common multi-gpu issues of tearing and desync because it's another monitor inside the monitor, so whether it's out of sync or not wouldn't matter, except perhaps you might in some extreme case not see a missile early because it was 1 frame later on the mirror, again, it wouldn't matter at that point it's too close.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I would love to hear more feedback to confirm or deny this. I am A-10 only with a custom pit, so Im kinda committed but Im terrified to take the update based on feedback like this. ED forced it, acknowledges some issues (hud), but left no path to a resolution. Scary!!

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

I'm also getting a massive performance hit. I don't have a particularly strong setup but I was able to run the old cockpit without issue at certain settings, and even better with lowered ones. Now, even those lowered settings don't stop constant stuttering for me. Kind of aggravating given I was expecting better performance instead of worse with the model being optimized.

Edited by LittleTimmy

@LittleTimmy

Thanks for confirming the issue. Do you have an AMD gpu as well?

I hope ED sorts this one out, or at least provides a way for us to revert back to the old cockpit.

@Puma

I know I won't be flying the warthog while this problem exists... and it's one of my favourite modules.

Edited by Hardcard

I've noticed a performance dip as well - but not certain exactly what it is. Used to hold solid 45 FPS (VR user and only fly the A10C and F/A-18C), but now seem to be hovering around 20-30. Still manageable, as it doesn't get into "slide show" territory by any means, but certainly notice a decline now. That being said, my computer specs aren't "mega" by any means and the graphics card certainly is pulling more than it's fair share of weight. When I tested without the VR, was well above 90 FPS though - so can't really imagine what the struggle would be outside of a heavy environment and VR combo.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Tbh i quite expected a performance drop. The new Cockpit was made from scratch with new HD textures to match current standards. Maybe there will be some optimization going on in the future since this was a first release but i think that a performance decrease compared to the old pit is inevitable

HardCard have ya tried Alt Enter to make sure you're in full screen mode? Check out this thread and see if it helps.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4139901&postcount=1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

@Sierra99

Thanks, I had already applied that registry change before starting this thread, I hoped that would solve the issue, but it made no difference.

Hopefully the new cockpit will be optimized in the future, if not, I hope ED provides an option to revert back to the old cockpit... otherwise they just made a perfectly fine module unplayable for me.

Definitely see a performance hit with new cockpit....still working on how to make adjustments. I used to get in excess of 60fps and now it's flipping between 28 to 35. I can get +50 if I stare outside at the ocean on some missions :lol:

F/A-18 still rumbling at +/-60 most the time.

Whereas it appears that VR flyers appreciate the new cockpit AND I do appreciate all the effort by DCS to give us this new texture, I wish we cold have the option to retain the old one. I kinda like the 'worn in' effect.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Preferences aside, this much of a hit needs to be made a clear bug for ED. Knowing the hornet cockpit which is also new gen model does not have the fps hit associated means this is not simply an issue of more complexity impacting mid&low end machines, something is wrong.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

No performance hit here, solid 60FPS.

Only problem is the insufficient night lightning.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

No performance hit here, solid 60FPS.

Have you disabled sync, let DCS run at max fps and then compared performance between the two cockpits?

If your pc is capable of running DCS at 100+fps and the new A10C cockpit runs at 60+fps, you're actually experiencing a pretty significant performance hit... without realizing it.

@Dr_Arrow

I have the same processor and an equivalent AMD card (R9 290), it's strange.

Also, I repeat, I have no problems with the rest of FF modules I own, including the tomcat... this is A10C specific and it started happening when the new cockpit was introduced.

@SkateZilla

I haven't posted my specs before because I wanted to avoid "garbage" comments.

Like I said, the rest of modules perform as expected, including the tomcat and the A10C before the cockpit update.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz

16GB DDR3-1600

R9 290

SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (System SSD)

SSD OCZ Vector 120GB (DCS SSD)

Toshiba DT01AA300 3TB

I've been monitoring data from the DCS service info (upper left corner) and the results are puzzling.

The fps hit doesn't seem to be related to object count, as one would assume.

If I look outside the cockpit (let's say to the right), get a boost of ~30fps, even though the object count is higher out there.

If I then simply close the canopy (still looking to the right), performance starts getting affected, I lose 10+fps just for that.

Also, If I zoom in when looking inside the cockpit, fps go back to normal.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the problem has to do with the new textures / effects / layers used in the new A10C cockpit.

Edited by Hardcard

Ok, looks like I've managed to salvage ~20fps by doing some gymnastics (note that no other module has ever required me to do all this).

General changes

1- Shadows off (this new cockpit is way too shady... pun intended, but still true)

2- Cockpit global illumination off

AMD specific changes

3- Delete any existing DCS profile and create a new one

4- Texture Filtering Quality -> Performance

5- Surface Format Optimization -> On

6- Radeon Anti-Lag -> On

Edited by Hardcard

I noticed a massive VR performance drop inside the A10 cockpit as well. All other modules (except the Farmer) running fine. Trying to follow the suggestions above.

Win10 Pro, Intel i9 9700k @5GHz, GeForce RTX 2080 TI, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 @3200MHz RAM, MSI z390 Gaming Plus, HP Reverb Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD Base, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (for DCS), Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (for Win10), Philips PHL 274E