Looking To Upgrade My X-55

So, I want to upgrade to a different HOTAS, I am still very new to the whole DCS hardcore sim when it comes to just doing basics, but with the harrier, hopefully the F-4 and others.... I want to learn with a better Stick and throttle. Any suggestions? :joystick:

If you have the budget go for a TM Warthog Throttle and Stick.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Be sure to check out the VPC MongoosT-50 Flightstick. Stick with your X55 throttle for the time being until the VPC throttle is available ;)

If you have any questions, let me know.

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

So time to upgrade again, the x-55 was well till the springs got taught. I bought the Thrustmaster warthog+ the tf pedals, was this a good or bad choice, my main issue was Saitech BS setup where I had to constantly change the SAITECH software profile with a specific curve to match the same or close to on DCS, which makes me wanna puke, I was told mostly you can get profiles for aircraft, but software is not needed.

Did I make a good choice, any hints tips, or suggestions since never used pedals for flight and this supposedly(cause I will not but any Saitech product again, and those Saitech pedals were another 300+) one of the best setups. my specs are listed below...

1. CPU: I7 4790k OC to 3.8-4.0 GHz with an CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler

• GPU:ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS

• Window 10 64-bit

• RAM: 16GB of "Boutique Performance RAM" at 1600MHz DDR3

• MSI Z97-Gaming 7 Motherboard

• 34 Inch 21:9 Ultra wide Curved ACER 2560x1080 Monitor(It's the non $4k ROG one but still has 144hz)

• HDD:SDD:M.2/M.3: 1 Samsung 250GB SSD and a 2TB WD HDD. *m.2/m.3 question after.*

I believe I need to upgrade the RAM to GDDR5(If you know what some reliable good brands are I would love to know) and I can fit a M.2/M.3 SSD on my MB but I am not sure how faster DCS would be with that. Also any info on difference or + vs - of m.2 vs m.3 would help. Last thing is some people said don't use those m.X slots for SSD, and lastly thank you I hope I spread this out enough and I am happy to say goodbye to the x-55. It was amazing in 2014, but time for change!

I have no idea what you are talking about with matching Saitek curves with DCS curves. You only need to set the curve in 1 place if you want a curve at all. There should be 0 curve set in the joystick software and you adjust the curve you want on a game by game or even aircraft to aircraft basis. The only reason you would use the joystick software for that is if you can't make curves in a game, or you know you always want a certain amount. Deadzone on the other hand is good to set once to be used for all programs.

The G in GDDR stands for graphics, it's whats on GPUs. You can't buy GDDR. And you can't use memory on your motherboard if it is not supported. Z97 only supports DDR3 IIRC.

m.3 is just a bigger m.2 stick to hold more memory for businesses that need it. Unless you want to shell out $5000 per stick for more capacity, and I don't think consumers can buy them yet but I could be wrong, then there's no point.

Being m.2 does not make an SSD fast, it only potentially gives it access to more PCIe lanes which allows faster bandwidth. Whether it can actually use that bandwidth is a different matter.

DCS will not load significantly faster from a fast m.2 SSD than it will a normal 2.5" SSD (if at all). The CPU and memory can only work so fast given how something is coded. My main SSD is roughly 37 times faster than a typical HDD from just a couple years ago (3GB/s vs ~80MB/s). I guaranty nothing loads 37 times faster. So going from a standard SATA3 SSD to m.2 will not make any difference. What makes an SSD so much faster than an HDD is the amount of IO/s, something like 100,000/s vs 100/s. So if it has to read from 1000s of small files the SSD is much faster.

Whoever is telling you not to use m.2 slots for SSDs has no idea what they are talking about or leaving out the details. It is possible on some MBs that using the m.2 slot will disable the last PCIe port because it uses those PCIe lanes. Again, MB specific.

In my experience I have had trouble with DCS not being on the C drive (fresh DCS install). It was on a RAID0 at the time so maybe that somehow had something to do with it, but it really shouldn't. If you aren't having trouble then don't worry about it, but otherwise install it on the C drive.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.