BUILDING NEW PC SEEKING OPINIONS

I am building a NEW PC but I am unfamiliar with some of the new tech and am a bit over whelmed by the options available to me.

Someone recommended I get a Threadripper CPU so I have built a system around that processor.

Opinions I am seeking are compatibility issues, better alternatives, and warnings against anything that might be overkill.

I also had a question. The Threadripper 2950X CPU lists DDR4 2933 under memory types. Does this mean I can only use 2933 RAM? Is that good by today's standards? Would an i7 or i9 be a better alternative.

Another question I have is if the 2080ti is really much better than the 1080ti? Seems the 2080ti's are having some quality issues. At any rate here is my build.

CPU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113542&Description=threadripper&cm_re=threadripper-_-19-113-542-_-Product

AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper 2950X, 16-Core, 32-Thread, 4.4 GHz Max Boost (3.5 GHz Base), Socket sTR4 180W YD295XA8AFWOF Desktop Processor

$869.99

MOTHERBOARD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145044

GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX (rev. 1.0) sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard

$379.99

RAM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232652

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2933 (PC4 23400) Desktop Memory Model F4-2933C14D-16GTZRX

$194.99

HARD DRIVE (WILL ONLY BE USED TO STORE DCS OPERATING SYSTEM IS ON SSD)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820147690

SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E500BW

$169.99

GRAPHICS CARD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814126263

ASUS ROG GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING 11GB 352-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

$1,399.99

POWER SUPPLY

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438134

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-1000-X1

$159.99

CPU FAN

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103273&Description=threadripper%20cooling%20fan&cm_re=threadripper_cooling_fan-_-35-103-273-_-Product

AMD Wraith Ripper by Cooler Master, Seven Heatpipe, Dual Heatsink, Designed for The Threadripper

$119.99

PC CASE

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7TD77B2979

anidees AI-CRYSTAL-AR EATX/ATX Tower Tempered Glass Gaming Case with 4 x AI-Aureola RGB Fans - Black RGB version

$149.90

TOTAL COST $3,444.83 If you can beat this price and get the same performance or make it much better for a bit more that would be great. Obviously I want to get the best value possible.

THIS THREAD WILL BE DELETED POST PC BUILD.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am building a NEW PC but I am unfamiliar with some of the new tech and am a bit over whelmed by the options available to me.

Someone recommended I get a Threadripper CPU so I have built a system around that processor.

That is a Server processor ... not the most cost-efficient way to run DCS, may I suggest instead an Intel Core i5 8700K that cost only 350 US$ and has a higher single core performance?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

That is a Server processor ... not the most cost-efficient way to run DCS, may I suggest instead an Intel Core i5 8700K that cost only 350 US$ and has a higher single core performance?

Agreed, CPU and PSU are ridiculous and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Such as 32gb of RAM. I often exceed 20bg RAM usage when playing MP.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Is this going to run VR?

Multi-monitor?

Resolution?

I agree with Rudel_chw about that CPU, unless you have some non-DCS reason for wanting 12 cores.

As an example, here's an off the shelf for half the price that I would argue, could run DCS as well as your spec.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/511665/g432-desktop-computer

Not pushing this machine or company. Just as an example.

Edited by Paganus
add link

Agree with above posts .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

So to clarify the processor is really for servers and not for gaming? It is inappropriate for the job I am using it for?

So the CPU is a waste of money?

Is it that the CPU is "too much" for my application or is it that it is a bad fit for my needs.

Can you clarify your reasoning a bit more.

The application for this computer will be as follows. I have 2 monitors hooked up to the PC through a HDMI switcher. So only one monitor is active at a time. One goes to a 40 inch 1080 that I will most likely use for other games, internet browsing, and general computer use. The other will go to a 4K that I will use for racing and flight simulators. They will probably both eventually be upgraded to 4K but again, only one in use at a time. I may or may not do VR.

To recap, I do appreciate the suggestion but I guess at the end of the day is it that the Threadripper is too much CPU and costly or that it's inappropriate for my application?

Sorry to sound like a broken record I am just trying to spend my money wisely you know?

Any thoughts on anything else besides the CPU?

Also,

I also had a question. The Threadripper 2950X CPU lists DDR4 2933 under memory types. Does this mean I can only use 2933 RAM?

and

Another question I have is if the 2080ti is really much better than the 1080ti? Seems the 2080ti's are having some quality issues. At any rate here is my build.

Thank you for your answers and time. :)

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Agreed, CPU and PSU are ridiculous and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Such as 32gb of RAM. I often exceed 20bg RAM usage when playing MP.

Can you suggest a PSU?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is this going to run VR?

I am waiting for the next generation to hopefully get rid of most of the "screen door" effect. So the answer is yes, eventually.

Multi-monitor?
Not exactly. It will have 2 monitors (actually a 40 inch 1080 and 55 inch 4k) but not at the same time.

Resolution?
4K. I have considered experimenting with an 8K projector eventually. :)

I agree with Rudel_chw about that CPU, unless you have some non-DCS reason for wanting 12 cores.
I will use it for all PC tasks but I am mostly building it with DCS in mind.

As an example, here's an off the shelf for half the price that I would argue, could run DCS as well as your spec.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/511665/g432-desktop-computer

Not pushing this machine or company. Just as an example.

Thank you for your suggestion. That WOULD save me a ton of space bucks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After some feedback on this thread I will delete this thread and come out with version 2.0 with an adjusted build and ask for some guidance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes you should start with what you want the PC for.

There is no problem using thread ripper ist's just overkill and for DCS especially core clock rates currently are the deciding factor for CPU.

The case looks nice in deed I just finished my first glass both sides case build and it was more challenging then I expected neat enough doesn't cut it when it's in a window presentation to my handy work. ;)

If you want AMD wait till the Ryzen 3000's come out might be worth it perhaps a 2700 now although I don't know how well they clock.

Currently

Probably Z390 it will run 8th gen CPU's

32GB fast RAM helps FPS especially in VR

2080Ti as much as I hate to say it but it gets you 11GB VRAM I regularly use 10GB plus VRAM usage on servers which also means the R VII with 16GB HBM2 might be an alternative we are eagerly awaiting someone to buy one and report back. :P

I've just finished a 9600K build haven't OC'ed it yet but it's proving to be great bang for the bucks.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Having just built a new PC myself last month, I can give some insight.

For Threadripper, if you don't know if you need it or not, you don't. DCS only runs on two threads, one main thread and another for audio processing, so more cores won't give you any benefit; what you really need is the highest clock speed you're willing to get. The 2950X is way overkill for just playing DCS, and you would be much better served by an i9 series chip like the i9 9700K that can hit 5.0 GHz easily, which right now seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to price vs speed.

For RAM, you're going to want 32GB for DCS World. The speed doesn't really matter, just pick up whatever is within your price range. If you're on the fence, get 3200 MHz RAM. It's not that much more expensive than 2400 MHz, and there's a large selection out there.

The 970 Evo is a good choice for a SSD.

The EVGA 1000W PSU is way too overkill. Modern day computers don't use that many watts, and 1000W PSU's are fairly long, which can cause compatibility issues depending on which case you get. Stick with something around 600W or so. Even with everything overclocked and running straight-up benchmarks on both the CPU and GPU simultaneously, you're going to have trouble getting past 500W. A 600W PSU will give you a 100W head room in the unrealistic case that both your CPU and GPU are taxed 100%.

For the CPU fan, if you don't want to get an AIO water cooler, I recommend either the Noctua NH-D15 or the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT. They're huge heatsinks, but they're also the best of the best air coolers, matching the AIO coolers in performance.

And here's where I come to the part that may sound rude, but I feel that it needs to be said. It sounds like your experience with computer hardware is very limited, and whoever is telling you that you need to buy X and Y either does not know what they're talking about, or is trying to rip you off by selling hardware that you won't even get close to the limit of. I strongly, strongly recommend that you do some research into computer hardware and read posts either here or on reddit.com/r/hoggit and see what others have asked and have recommended. Things get a bit subjective once you start to zero in on exactly what you want, but right now your requirement is that you want to get to the grocery store by riding a space shuttle.

Any thoughts on anything else besides the CPU?

How important is bang for the buck for you?

If a lot then build a Ryzen system with probably a AMD card and overclock it.

If not a lot but still build the usual X370 or X390 chipset with 8700K/9700K, maybe 9600K or 9900K and overclock it.

If you want best performance and money isn't really a concern for you for this setup then build a X299 Intel machine, get a second card for SLI and overclock it aswell.

Which is it? Also the Pimax 5K+ and Pimax 8K are really worth looking into, Rift and similar are getting obsolete.

I also had a question. The Threadripper 2950X CPU lists DDR4 2933 under memory types. Does this mean I can only use 2933 RAM?

Not 100% sure if it's different from the usual situation with Threadripper but with the current Intel for example they are declared as supporting 2666 Mhz but can run higher clocked kits once XMP is turned on in the BIOS. This on the other hand overclocks the memory controller of the CPU. But they can run higher clocks.

Depends on the application you are testing it in but on average it's 25% stronger. Say 15 to 35% or rarely 40%.

Edited by Der Hirte

So to clarify the processor is really for servers and not for gaming? It is inappropriate for the job I am using it for?

Yes and yes

So the CPU is a waste of money?

It depends on your needs ... if you want a Server for running multiple virtual machines at the same time, its ideal and more cost effective than an Intel Server processor of comparable performance. If you want to run a game that uses mostly a single core, then yes, it is a waste of money.

Can you clarify your reasoning a bit more.

There was a time when desktop processors just had a single core, that was used for all the processes that your PC was running. A game had to share that single core with the operating system, so a game never achieved its maximum performance.

Then, on 2005 Intel released the first dual core processor, the Pentium D ... it was nothing more than two full processors on a single chip ... thus at that time they didnt use the term dual-core, but dual processor. AMD released little after its own dual core, the Athlon 64 x2

Of course, the dual core chips were a success, as now the games could use a single core to full capacity without cempeting with Windows processes .. so there was a very real performance increase.

At about the same time, each core's performance began to reach limits that were hard or expensive to surpass each year while customer expectations were a bit unreasonable, being used to big increases every year.

Thus appeared the quad cores processors ... now the term core had more sense, as the chips were no more two processors on a single chip, but some processor components began to be shared among all the cores: the memory controller, parts of the cache memory, the graphics controller, etc ... so only the processing units were quadrupled.

The real performance of each core didnt increase much, but as there were 4 of them, the manufacturers began to use benchmarks that highlighted the 4 cores, giving the impression that the new chips were double the speed of the previous 2 cores ... when actually the speed of each core had a much lower increase.

So, now, you are considering a 16 core processor ... these multicore benchmarks give a score almost 16 times higher than a single core ... but you try to run DCS on them and realize that you are not getting 16 times the performance ... that's because DCS is using just a single core (actually two, but the second used just for sound, not being a really big performance improvement).

Thats why I suggested that you focus a bit more on single core performance ... tough the chip you will purchase will most likely still have 4 cores so that DCS will not be competing with the operating system.

Keep in mind that single core performance increases are hard to get, so try to avoid spending 100% more on a processor that will give just a 20% increase, you can use the Single Core Passmark rating for comparison between processors:

Intel 9900K has a single core passmark of 2900, but costs US$ 520

Intel 8700K has a SC passmark of 2700, but costs only US$ 360

best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

OK based on the info here I am going to revise my build and submit BUILDING NEW PC SEEKING OPINIONS 2.0.

I might do a 3.0 based on feedback then delete the threads so my threads do not trash up our cherished forums.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How important is bang for the buck for you?

If a lot then build a Ryzen system with probably a AMD card and overclock it.

If not a lot but still build the usual X370 or X390 chipset with 8700K/9700K, maybe 9600K or 9900K and overclock it.

If you want best performance and money isn't really a concern for you for this setup then build a X299 Intel machine, get a second card for SLI and overclock it aswell.

I wanted the best performing PC I could build for $4,000 or under. However I do not want more PC than I need.

Basically I play PC games (DCS, First Person Shooters, Racing Games), run 1 virtual machine (only used for web browsing) and that's about it.

Which is it? Also the Pimax 5K+ and Pimax 8K are really worth looking into, Rift and similar are getting obsolete.
I will eventually get a VR headset. I am thinking the 8K. I know VR is demanding however and I am wondering if my PC build will run DCS on a Pimax 8K.

Not 100% sure if it's different from the usual situation with Threadripper but with the current Intel for example they are declared as supporting 2666 Mhz but can run higher clocked kits once XMP is turned on in the BIOS. This on the other hand overclocks the memory controller of the CPU. But they can run higher clocks.

Depends on the application you are testing it in but on average it's 25% stronger. Say 15 to 35% or rarely 40%.

I probably will not OC it as the 9 series already runs hot. Last think I want to do is smoke thousands of dollars of parts because I don't know what I am doing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XXXXXXXXXXX

CPU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117957

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I99900K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

$529.99

XXXXXXXXXXX

CPU COOLING

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146065&Description=NZXT%20Kraken%20X72%20&cm_re=NZXT_Kraken_X72-_-35-146-065-_-Product

NZXT Kraken X72 360mm - All-In-One RGB CPU Liquid Cooler - CAM-Powered - Infinity Mirror Design - Performance Engineered Pump - Reinforced Extended Tubing - Aer P120mm Radiator Fan (3 Included)

$180.33

XXXXXXXXXXX

MOTHERBOARD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119150&ignorebbr=1

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Onboard 802.11ac

$304.00

XXXXXXXXXXX

RAM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8N26HK2544

HyperX Predator 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2666MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL13 1.35V Black DIMM (288-pin) HX426C13PB3K2/32 (Intel XMP)

$280.19

XXXXXXXXXXX

HARD DRIVE (WILL ONLY BE USED TO STORE DCS OPERATING SYSTEM IS STORED ON SEPARATE SSD)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147742&Description=MZ-V7S500B%2fAM&cm_re=MZ-V7S500B%2fAM-_-20-147-742-_-Product

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500GB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S500B/AM

$127.99

XXXXXXXXXXX

POWER SUPPLY

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP8DU2658

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 PQ, 80 Plus PLATINUM 750W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-PQ-0750-X1

$138.99

XXXXXXXXXXX

GRAPHICS CARD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814126263

ASUS ROG GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING 11GB 352-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

$1,399.99

XXXXXXXXXXX

PC CASE

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7TD77B2979

anidees AI-CRYSTAL-AR EATX/ATX Tower Tempered Glass Gaming Case with 4 x AI-Aureola RGB Fans - Black RGB version

$149.90

New Build Total: $3,111.38

$333.45 cheaper. You guys are already saving me money :D

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:thumbup:

Looking good!

I am loving my i9 9900k, got all 8 cores running at 5.1 GHz rock solid.

They do run warm so good to get a good cooler for sure.

Suggest you consider upping the ram to say 3200 MHz modules if you have room in the budget.

Also suggest upping the Power Supply to 1000w if you can - those 2080 Ti's can eat some power.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

:thumbup:

Looking good!

I am loving my i9 9900k, got all 8 cores running at 5.1 GHz rock solid.

They do run warm so good to get a good cooler for sure.

I am a bit afraid of smoking a processor. How do you overclock a CPU anyway?

Suggest you consider upping the ram to say 3200 MHz modules if you have room in the budget.

Also suggest upping the Power Supply to 1000w if you can - those 2080 Ti's can eat some power.

The CPU is stated to have memory of 2666?

Memory Types

DDR4 2666

Wouldn't getting 3200 be wasted?

I had a 1000W power supply before but several people on here stated it was "overkill"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dont believe that more than 750 W is actually necessary.. on Anandtech tests the total equipment consumption never went over 450w: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13346/the-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-and-2080-founders-edition-review/16

I am a bit afraid of smoking a processor. How do you overclock a CPU anyway?

Pretty easy actually. Set the overclock to manual, and adjust the multiplier up. I have my 8 cores with a 51 multiplier to give me 5.1 GHz across each of them. And upped the voltage (vcore) to get it stable. Voltage is where you need to be careful and core temps.

Memory Types

DDR4 2666

Not as long as your motherboard supports it, should be a ram compatibility list on the motherboard mfg website. I can tell you VR likes faster ram. I run 3200 MHz CL14. But again if budget it concern I am sure you would be fine with your selection.

I had a 1000W power supply before but several people on here stated it was "overkill"

I myself like having some extra headroom, had considered a 1200w but decided 1000w should be fine. With a 2080Ti I would be a little leary of 750w, but that is just me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I dont believe that more than 750 W is actually necessary.. on Anandtech tests the total equipment consumption never went over 450w: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13346/the-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-and-2080-founders-edition-review/16
Got an opinion regarding RAM?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The GPU alone can pull around 300w.

Don B

I wanted the best performing PC I could build for $4,000 or under.

That would be a proper X370/X390 chipset board with a 9700K/9900K, 32 GB RAM and a 2080TI, the cooling scales upward depending on how much cooling you want (overclocking or not and if yes how far?).

I will eventually get a VR headset. I am thinking the 8K. I know VR is demanding however and I am wondering if my PC build will run DCS on a Pimax 8K.

You can run it with a machine under 4000$, could be better though (SLI setup). Will not be ideal but Pimax also has Brainwarp which makes it possible. Get the 5k+ over the 8K with only a single 2080TI, the 8K only outshines the 5k+ if you have the machine for it. There's really not much difference between them, but there is one.

... Machine build ...

If you decide to not overclock your CPU then you can take a 280 or 240 radiator instead. If you decide on a 280 one get the EVGA CLC 280, this is what I'd buy. The ASUS Z390 boards don't seem to be the best this generation and pricerange because of its fake 8 phase VRM on the board. Look into a Gigabyte, MSI or ASRock equivalent. You only need 240/256GB of storage for a DCS-only plate, it doesn't fill up as of now even with a lot or all of the modules. If you're one of those getting every module and every map then stick to the 500GB, who knows how much space the new maps will take?

Memory Types

DDR4 2666

You can actually install 3200 Mhz or even higher if the board supports it but you automatically overclock the memory controller on the CPU if you enable XMP (which activates the 3200 Mhz) which translates into more heat and likely also more voltage on the CPU = less overclock potential. If you don't aim for a high overclock it doesn't matter much in any case.

Around 850W high quality PSU is good for this if you don't plan to have the possibility to build a SLI machine with it, 9900K pulls some power, the 2080TI also. A bit of headroom on these do rarely hurt.

Not as long as your motherboard supports it, should be a ram compatibility list on the motherboard mfg website. I can tell you VR likes faster ram. I run 3200 MHz CL14. But again if budget it concern I am sure you would be fine with your selection.

Taking faster RAM than the CPU is "designed" for puts more strain on the memory controller of the CPU and reduces overclock potential a bit. They can run higher RAM clocks than specified though.

Edited by Der Hirte

Got an opinion regarding RAM?

For DCS 16 GB is the minimum, if you can get 32 GB, particularly if you like Multiplayer.

The RAM frequency isnt really that significant (in spite of what the memory makers want people to believe) ... the reason being that most games are actually more GPU bound than Memory bound. Here a chap tested 25 games comparing DDR4 of 2133 MHz with DDR4 of 3000 MHz (with similar latencies):

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-ddr4-2133-mhz-vs-ddr4-3000-mhz-core-i7-6700k.231776/

Most games did not show more than 5% extra FPS with the faster memory, tough there were a couple that showed an important increase.

So, get the highest frequency you can, but without paying a premium for it :)