P51 not fun due to so many problems.

Snapage

As requested, my opinion/thoughts on the subject:

a) re. WEP - can't comment, as I don't have enough experience with it;

b) re crash landing - it's been a while since I last belly landed the Pony, but I don't recall my pilot ever getting killed if only I did it as slowly and smoothly as possible, flaps down, nose up, mags, mixture and fuel off. That's only in single player mode, though, I don't do MP at all so I'm not sure if this aspect is wonky over there;

c) re. guns effectiveness - when I started playing DCS 5 years ago, being warbird-oriented I immediately noted it's damage modelling was uhm... rudimentary to put it mildly, compared to other 2 WWII offerings on the market (even 3 actually if we count in the old famous one). More suited for modern missile combat than oldschool gunnery. So... I've been just playing and enjoying DCS strictly as civilian flying simulator ever since. What's the point in banging the head against the wall when you know some things are just not implemened yet? Don't use the tool for the job it's not designed for - that's my policy. I've got 2 other dedicated tools for that, published by 1C Software Company.

Of course, when the new damage model brings DCS to the competition level (or hopefully surpasses them) I'll surely start playing the game as a fully fledged combat sim. Until then, although I understand some people are desperate to try to make WWII combat work in DCS, I consider it being excercise in masochism;

d) re. loosing wings - with stick force gradient in pitch channel of 6 lbf per G (and lower with rear tank filled) plus structural failure limit of 12 G (figures as in DCS manual), Mustang is similar to Spit i.e. pilot is more than capable of tearing his wings off when pulling too hard at any high speed. It's exacerbated by the general change in philosophy of stick force modelling introduced by Yo-Yo 2 or 3 years ago, switching from virtual stick gradually "stiffening" under force method (employed by other simulators and DCS long ago) to virtual stick displacement matchinig physical stick displacement with force-limit cutoff point. Both implementation methods have their advantages and disadvantages - it's true that in "ours" loosing wings is unfortunately easier as we don't have much of a G feedback apart form the G-meter in cockpit (or nothing at all in the Spitfire) and greyout/blackout sometimes doesn't come soon enough to warn you.

I guess one has to learn by trial and error what kind of high-G turns and maneuvers are too risky in DCS, though I wouldn't mind having some more visual/audible clues about G-buildup if we can't feel it sitting in front of the computer anyway.

Cheers for the info. Very i interesting. If the high G and speed performance is accurate then I have no problem with it. Maybe cockpit rattling or some kind of audible que to give you the impression of high speeds would be realistic and helpful. Regardless it's more of a nice to have not a need to have.

I tested the WEP once yesterday and had no engine trouble so maybe it has been changed. I flew 4 minutes WEP and then at max continuous for one hour and 15 minutes without any failure. I don't know for sure though. I need to test it a few times It's very time consuming because it's so random.

The gear up landing pilot death is easily reproduced. Just try landing with gear up. Sometimes you can pull it off without pilot death but you have to be super gentle. Landing in a grass field probably shows it even better. The FW190 also kind of suffers from it but not as bad. It could possibly effect all the aircraft but because the spits, and 109s flaps keep the fuselage off the ground for the most part it isn't so obvious.

In regard to the damage model, a lot of people I know have done what you did and went to other Sims. I have tried out other SIMs to but for me after experiencing the flight models DCS has to offer it's hard to go elsewhere.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of video of P-51 online that do not match your description of this plane. For example:

P-51 guns are a bit different thing in comparison to German. They are wing mounted, and the best pattern is 200-350 m distance. If the target is closer or farther you have to remember how the projectile fly actually.

Here is a video which I show what I am talking about in regards to the effectiveness of the P51Ds guns on enemy aircraft, particularly from behind:

You can see in the video there are several issues like no reduction in performance from damage and the smoke effect completely obstructs the view of the enemy plane. They only go down if you kill the pilot, shoot the engine from an large angle or shoot a part of the plane enough so that it completely comes. Because you cant really get direct hits on the engine or the pilot from behind you have to shoot them enough so the tail comes off.

Edited by Snapage

Here is a video which I show what I am talking about in regards to the effectiveness of the P51Ds guns on enemy aircraft, particularly from behind:

You can see in the video there are several issues like no reduction in performance from damage and the smoke effect completely obstructs the view of the enemy plane. They only go down if you kill the pilot, shoot the engine from an large angle or shoot a part of the plane enough so that it completely comes. Because you cant really get direct hits on the engine or the pilot from behind you have to shoot them enough so the tail comes off.

ED already said that those effect are time limited placeholders for now, and i hope that new DM will bring deterioration of flight characteristics upon taken damage

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

ED already said that those effect are time limited placeholders for now, and i hope that new DM will bring deterioration of flight characteristics upon taken damage

I know, I have made that video to help people who don't fly the must very often a good idea of what I am talking about. Hopefully it is helpful.

Edited by Snapage

12G structural limit, i think i have lost wing at 10g last time :P

Very much possible. It's loadout dependent in Spit, so must be here as well. I just quoted the rated 8 x 1,5 safety factor figure from manual to have a ballpark number.

We also have to remember that apparently since a couple of patches ago, taking the plane close to the G limit time after time gradually "weakens" the structure. Adds more to the challenge of flying the thing!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Very much possible. It's loadout dependent in Spit, so must be here as well. I just quoted the rated 8 x 1,5 safety factor figure from manual to have a ballpark number.

We also have to remember that apparently since a couple of patches ago, taking the plane close to the G limit time after time gradually "weakens" the structure. Adds more to the challenge of flying the thing!

Safety factor for WEP is 67" x 0.9 heh :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

If the 12.7 bullets hit empty fuselage or wings - what performance parameters must gone?

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I did some testing on my own last night in both the spit and p51 against 109.

My observations 109 has an error with damage model currently as multiple hits in engine compartment and 109 billowing black smoke it was still out performing and shooting down my ai wingman. But it can be 50/50 sometimes they lose performance other times not the case.

Observing the 109 via f2 view it was clear that many rounds hat hit engine compartment but yet still fully operational at times.

But in a separate instance in the spit I had emptied my guns taking one 109 down then working on second 109 ran out of Ammo. 109 was hit multiple times in engine area according to observation via f2. But with the spit at full combat power and roughly 500 ft I was able to outrun the 109 to a friendly airfield. So some performance degradation was apparent in this engagement.

I unfortunately did not take screenshots of the affair. But used the instant action Normandy mission in the spit for that case.

One possibility currently is that the visual damage on the 109 does not match the actual bullet termination points.?

Also take note it’s been six months since flying warbirds so airmanship and marksmanship is rusty

Edited by Sniper175

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

If the 12.7 bullets hit empty fuselage or wings - what performance parameters must gone?
Loss of lift and/or increase of drag is what first comes to mind

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How could lots of bullets though the fuselage and wings not effect performance? Would you not have increased drag and a negative effect on the airfoil?

• ED Team
Loss of lift and/or increase of drag is what first comes to mind

I have to say, that this effect (common for the games) is seriously exagerrated. To have noticable effect the area of the holes must be much more than an area from several bullets.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I have to say, that this effect (common for the games) is seriously exagerrated. To have noticable effect the area of the holes must be much more than an area from several bullets.

So at no point between the time you start firing on an enemy plane and the time a part like the tail or wing comes off completely is there enough damage to effect lift and speed?

So at no point between the time you start firing on an enemy plane and the time a part like the tail or wing comes off completely is there enough damage to effect lift and speed?

That’s not what he is saying. If it’s just bullet holes I agree it won’t do much as far as drag goes, if it’s a big gaping whole from flak or a canon shot different story. I watched the YouTube video, I also think it was obviously bullet sponge.

But again today nineline on discord said damage model will fix all this, until then we get frustrated with obvious some bugs and errors. Also .50cal which I’ve used allot of in real life on the ground is a penetrator, so we should see the beauty of that in new damage model. Getting deep into critical system’s.

Ps dogfight ai is awesome now keep up those improvements

Edited by Sniper175

That’s not what he is saying. If it’s just bullet holes I agree it won’t do much as far as drag goes, if it’s a big gaping whole from flak or a canon shot different story. I watched the YouTube video, I also think it was obviously bullet sponge.

But again today nineline on discord said damage model will fix all this, until then we get frustrated with obvious some bugs and errors. Also .50cal which I’ve used allot of in real life on the ground is a penetrator, so we should see the beauty of that in new damage model. Getting deep into critical system’s.

Ps dogfight ai is awesome now keep up those improvements

I think that AP round form 50cal is capable of penetrating rear armor plate in bf109

I think that AP round form 50cal is capable of penetrating rear armor plate in bf109

If it’s quarter inch to half inch plate it should, depends on what else the round flew through to get to the plate too. Looking at the data of this new damage model, it seems to take all that into consideration.

Would be nice if we had a full.suite of realistic & historical ammo choices for the Warbirds like Ball, Armor Piercing, Incendiary, and Armor Piecing Incendiary rounds. There is a a reason that German planes exploded into fireballs when struck by mere 50 caliber ammo when the burning bullets hit the fuel tanks and wings.

Would be nice if we had a full.suite of realistic & historical ammo choices for the Warbirds like Ball, Armor Piercing, Incendiary, and Armor Piecing Incendiary rounds. There is a a reason that German planes exploded into fireballs when struck by mere 50 caliber ammo when the burning bullets hit the fuel tanks and wings.

Maby not 100% free choice, but at least ammo belts for aerial combat and ground attack ammo belt setups

No, manual says only that pilot is risking engine damage when wep is used longer then 5 minutes.

5 minute mark is only guarantee from manufacture.

i've read after action reports where pilots were claming that they run WEP for much longer then 5 minute with no damage to the engine.

I've seen the same, but I'd imagine that when a guy resorts to WEP, there's a good chance that keeping time is the least of his concerns.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

• ED Team
So am I assuming right, that the effectiveness of 50cals in areal combat roots in a higher likelihood of hitting critical parts?

-

Yes, as any bullets, if they have no HE. By the way, once I saw MDZ Soviet/Russian HE filled bullet 12.7 mm effect on thin aluminium plate - it was a hole about 300 mm diameter.

-

Yes, as any bullets, if they have no HE. By the way, once I saw MDZ Soviet/Russian HE filled bullet 12.7 mm effect on thin aluminium plate - it was a hole about 300 mm diameter.

Imagine what a 3cm shell would do.. Hope to see that realistically implemented in DCS.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

The us navy and army actually wanted 20mm autocannon to replace the .50 back in 1941 before Peral harbour.

and the US went to some lengths to produce a copy of the British Hispano mkI. which itself was a copy of the French Hispano-Suiza HS. 404.

but they could not get it working reliably

this was the A/N M1 20mm

in 1942 the British sent them the Hispano mkII and the US created the A/N m2 20mm

but it still had reliability issues. the British refused to buy it. even though they needed more Hispano.

the US had stockpiled 40million 20mm rounds by this point.

the A/N m2 20mm was finally used in the p-38 but because of those reliability issues, that was it.

late in the war they produce the A/N m3 20mm which saw some service on the f4uc but the marines preferred the .50 for the obsolete Japanese planes. and it was still unreliable.

finally after the war a reliable version the m23 went into service.

here is the manual for the m1 and m2

https://archive.org/details/20mmautomaticgun00unit

apparently it had a larger chamber than the French or British guns and was prone to light strikes and stoppages and needed some form of cocking system to clear the duds.

the british didn't use it because they didn't want the weight of a cocking system

the hispano on british planes were cocked before takeoff by ground crew.

a cocking system, like a tail wheel lock was unnecessary weight.

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Two quick questions: Is the 150 octane in development, or planned?

Also, I recall there being a thermodynamic update of the engines and their cooling systems. Is this still in development, or just planned?

Thx

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]