4790K to 9700K ?

Not a 4790, but I recently moved from a 2500k @3.9Ghz to a 9700 and saw roughly a 50% increase in fps.

My 9700 is typically running @4.6Ghz, which accounts for probably 20% of the improvement, so don't expect big fps improvements.

What I did see was a big reduction of "troughs" or frame rate drops, which I'm assuming is down to moving from DDR3 to DDR4, an NVME2 SSD and general enhancements to board design.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I'd expect about a 15% to 20% increase in fps assuming your gpu is not tapped out.

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

Went from a 4790K (4.9ghz) to 9700K (5.1ghz), nice bump on my Pimax 5K+. Also went to a new motherboard and from 16GB to 32GB of RAM at the same time though, so hard to really decipher any clear details on what caused what.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

this is highly dependent on what display type and resolution you want to use as well as what GPU you have. if you're gpu limited a faster cpu probably won't give you gains. If you're cpu limited a faster CPU will give you a performance bump up until the point you're GPU limited.

telling us your monitor resolution, or what vr headset you might be using, as well as what GPU you intend to use or currently are using would give more to work with.. but you can also download some hardware monitoring software and see what your bottlenecks are.

Specifically by looking at cpu usage per core, if any of those are pegging at 99% while you fly a cpu upgrade will get you some gains, if your gpu is at 99% usage at all times, gpu upgrade will net you gains, which, anything 1080Ti/2080 or better is likely going to run into cpu limitations below 4k resolution even with the fastest processors out at the moment.

Most important question is - are you happy with your performance now? I'd guess not since you're asking, but it's not as simple as comparing one component of your pc to everyone else. Chasing performance has a few more variables than that. Need more details, but with a little googling on what to look for with cpu/gpu bottlenecks and how to find them you could pretty easily determine what works best for you on your own. :)

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

this is highly dependent on what display type and resolution you want to use as well as what GPU you have. if you're gpu limited a faster cpu probably won't give you gains. If you're cpu limited a faster CPU will give you a performance bump up until the point you're GPU limited.

telling us your monitor resolution, or what vr headset you might be using, as well as what GPU you intend to use or currently are using would give more to work with.. but you can also download some hardware monitoring software and see what your bottlenecks are.

Specifically by looking at cpu usage per core, if any of those are pegging at 99% while you fly a cpu upgrade will get you some gains, if your gpu is at 99% usage at all times, gpu upgrade will net you gains, which, anything 1080Ti/2080 or better is likely going to run into cpu limitations below 4k resolution even with the fastest processors out at the moment.

Most important question is - are you happy with your performance now? I'd guess not since you're asking, but it's not as simple as comparing one component of your pc to everyone else. Chasing performance has a few more variables than that. Need more details, but with a little googling on what to look for with cpu/gpu bottlenecks and how to find them you could pretty easily determine what works best for you on your own. :)

+1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X