HUD glass tint too dark top half...and a couple of other questions

I have a few questions:

1. I find myself in the evening and night moving my head to see around the HUD due to its dark tint,...any way to get the top half of the HUD untinted like the bottom half of the HUD? Why do they have it tinted 50/50 upper/lower, because of the sun glare?
  2. In the F18 is the VOR the only NAV assistance that uses the ADF w/radio?
  3. In the Persian Gulf the tower doesn't use the format 123.000, it uses as an example 123.45 . How do you input this format so it's ***.***, I've tried 123.450 didn't work.

Thank you.

I have a few questions:

1. I find myself in the evening and night moving my head to see around the HUD due to its dark tint,...any way to get the top half of the HUD untinted like the bottom half of the HUD? Why do they have it tinted 50/50 upper/lower, because of the sun glare?
  2. In the F18 is the VOR the only NAV assistance that uses the ADF w/radio?
  3. In the Persian Gulf the tower doesn't use the format 123.000, it uses as an example 123.45 . How do you input this format so it's ***.***, I've tried 123.450 didn't work.

Thank you.

1. They felt that players wouldn't be able to see the HUD symbology during the day if the HUD wasn't tinted. It's not a realistic tint...but that's what they did.

2. The F-18 doesn't use VOR. It uses TACAN. ADF is a completely separate thing.

3. What exactly doesn't work?

1. They felt that players wouldn't be able to see the HUD symbology during the day if the HUD wasn't tinted. It's not a realistic tint...but that's what they did.

My friend has removed the tint completely and there is no problem during day.

QykIET2.png

Edited by FistofZen

Am I special?

Just a reminder folks, the tint

.. Perhaps the darkness is slightly exaggerated, but the tint is an attempt for realism. Haven't seen it anywhere mentioned that the tint was for the players to "be able to see the HUD symbology during the day". If the real hornet drivers had to cope with HUD darkness, then I want to have the same limitation since I'm trying to simulate the real deal, otherwise I'd be flying 'jets' in battlefield.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

Thanks for the reply.

2. TACAN and waypoints are not what I'm referring to here. VOR is an omnidirectional signal used via radio and ADF enabled.

3.There seems to be only 5 digit frequencies for Air Traffic in the PG towers but you need to input 6 digits.

Just a reminder folks, the tint
.. Perhaps the darkness is slightly exaggerated, but the tint is an attempt for realism. Haven't seen it anywhere mentioned that the tint was for the players to "be able to see the HUD symbology during the day". If the real hornet drivers had to cope with HUD darkness, then I want to have the same limitation since I'm trying to simulate the real deal, otherwise I'd be flying 'jets' in battlefield.

Yeah, except that tint is like 20% as strong as the in game one at best. The one in game is far stronger, to the point of making it very hard, if not impossible to see a ground target in anything more than medium overcast, let alone rain/snow. Hell of a design flaw for an "all-weather" multi-role jet, and as shown by that vid, not one the real Hornet has. AFAIK the real one is supposedly only apparent in bright light, a bit like a transitions lens.

Hud_on_the_cat.jpg

Edited by OxideMako

Actually the bottom half of the HUD has no tint only the top half. However you have symbology on both the top half [tinted] and the bottom half [untinted].

In the Persian Gulf the tower doesn't use the format 123.000, it uses as an example 123.45 . How do you input this format so it's ***.***, I've tried 123.450 didn't work.

Looks and works normal on my end.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Looks and works normal on my end.

I probably made a mistake, I'm still trying to sort out the differences between what the VOR, TACAN, Waypoint, ILS, ATC etc. freq. numbers look like.

Where did you get the info sheet you posted?

... to the point of making it very hard, if not impossible to see a ground target...

+1

I'm using VR, and this is a real problem for me.

If the real hornet drivers had to cope with HUD darkness, then I want to have the same limitation since I'm trying to simulate the real deal, otherwise I'd be flying 'jets' in battlefield.

Real hornet drivers aren't sitting in front of a computer monitor (or using a Rift) playing a computer game. You are much more limited to begin with, why add even more limtations?

Thanks for posting the mod. I'll be trying it out later. *EDIT* Works great - thanks again.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I think the issue with the tint might have to do with how they implemented the effect...it seems to be just a texture color that in computer graphics simply tint EVERYTHING at any given time instead of doing a full "behaviour" effect which CHANGES according to different parameters as in real life...maybe its not worth the work tbh and just a slight tint strenght reduction would do the job...anyway it IS realistic in the hornet, of course.

Take a look at my MODS here

No way is the HUD tinted in real life like in dcs and the color in dcs is wrong. On the pictures of the real HUD it is more pink than purple, but in dcs it is purple. And the HUD darkness limits the visibility so much, which makes me wonder if "real" pilots confirmed it's like it in real life.

Am I special?

This is one of those things where a sim should allow itsself to get a little creative artisticly.

If plastering tinted textures and putting one glas behind another gives degraded sight pictures and hard horizontal lines and a HUD slashed in half where IRL it would be nowhere as much of a hindrance, then don't do it.

Find a way to replicate the functionality IRL, we are already limited enough with our pixelated monitors and lack of depth perception.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

Actually the bottom half of the HUD has no tint only the top half. However you have symbology on both the top half [tinted] and the bottom half [untinted].

The Entire HUD is tinted, top half appears more because you are looking through 2 pcs of glass.

No way is the HUD tinted in real life like in dcs and the color in dcs is wrong. On the pictures of the real HUD it is more pink than purple, but in dcs it is purple. And the HUD darkness limits the visibility so much, which makes me wonder if "real" pilots confirmed it's like it in real life.

The Glass Polarization causes the Purple Effect in real life, Not all of the Earlier Lot F/A-18Cs (let Alone the A/B/A+'s) had the Polarized HUD.

It Varies depending on Light and Shadows as well as angle in real life,

In DCS it can appear darker due to Gamma / Total Color/Light output of a LED/LCD Screen being no where near true to life.

j-5007-swiss-air-force-mcdonnell-douglas-fa-18c-hornet_PlanespottersNet_660975_965fef5eec.jpg

US_Navy_110623-N-GO535-024_Lt._Cmdr._Matthew_Muggs_Maloney_secures_his_safety_harness_in_the_cockpit_of_an_F-A-18_Hornet_before_a_mission_during_No.jpg

US_Navy_040406-N-6213R-338_Lt._Cmdr._James_Logsdon%2C_of_Roanoke_Rapids%2C_N.C.%2C_straps_into_the_cockpit_of_an_F-A-18C_Hornet.jpg

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Where did you get the info sheet you posted?

It's just a quick copy and paste of 3 airfields, you find these info via the F10 map, just click on an airfield symbol.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

has anyone every considert that maybe...playability is more important that 100% realism. Especialy when it comes to optics? the real eye can deal with problems that simply dont work on a computer screen. so why try, and basicly force us to use Mods so you dont get eyestrain?!

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

The Entire HUD is tinted, top half appears more because you are looking through 2 pcs of glass.

The Glass Polarization causes the Purple Effect in real life, Not all of the Earlier Lot F/A-18Cs (let Alone the A/B/A+'s) had the Polarized HUD.

It Varies depending on Light and Shadows as well as angle in real life,

In DCS it can appear darker due to Gamma / Total Color/Light output of a LED/LCD Screen being no where near true to life.

It looks like 2 pieces of glass are both the same length...why would only one be 1/2 the length since the HUD takes up the whole length.

It looks like 2 pieces of glass are both the same length...why would only one be 1/2 the length since the HUD takes up the whole length.

They are not the same length

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

There's a reason for 2 planes of combiner glass, I will let someone else explain, to refrain from explaining it wrong.

Using two combiners allows you to increase the vertical field of view, if the HUD was a single panel we would only get a single circular projection per eye.

As for exactly how this is achieved I will also defer to someone with a deeper knowledge.

Harrier projection area as an example, same principles would apply to the F-18.

0gFFqg3.png