What to do with this module?

imacken

A couple of basic questions for you, guys.

I have dipped my toes into B-skies a few times today, and although I know this is largely a dogfight server, I just wondered about the target aspect of this.

I suppose, as I am flying during the UK daytime, that most people won't be around, but there are usually only 2 or 3 other planes, so I have managed to avoid (if that is the right term!) any fighting so far.

So, I decided to try and have a look at the set targets 1-3. Even though I passed over where the symbols are in the briefing graphic, I couldn't really see what the target was supposed to be. Should it be obvious?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, it is pretty obvious what the ground targets are.

Just fly over them at low altitude and they should be shooting at you. ;-)

If you can't still find them, check out the saved track either in tacview or mission editor.

Do you have tacview installed? If not, check it out.

The saved track should be saved in C:\Users\[user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Tracks\Multiplayer

and for the BS server mission it should be named something like NORMANDY1944_ANTICIPATION-[date]-[time].trk

You can check it on tacview or you can rename it to .miz and look at it on the mission editor in game.

If I remember correctly, the BS server exports only current player data, so you can not really review aerial battles from BS server in tacview at the moment (as you see only your own aircraft), but there are other servers that save all the planes including opponents (mostly with 10 minute delay to avoid cheating). That is a great way after a mission to analyse what went wrong or what was well done during a mission.

As indicated earlier by others, just jump on the TS of the online server you are logging in to and talk to people there. Mostly people are very helpful and friendly.

If you feel you still struggle too much with multiplayer for your liking, play around a bit with the DCS mission editor. Check a youtube video or two on the mission editor and after couple of hours you should be able to setup simple missions your self or for example play a multiplayer online mission alone attacking ground targets or AI units if you rename the .trk to .miz as I wrote above in the first chapter.

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

It takes a long, long time when playing full-realism online to learn to spot aircraft. My advice is to prioritise your looking in the area of sky behind and above. Think about protecting your ass as your first job. "Hunting" as an aggressor is secondary.

Phil, I'm having real problems with spotting. Even in your videos!

If we take 'By the skin....' video (

) and go to 18:10 when you say 'here we go', I can't see the plane. I can only see it at 18:14, and that is briefly when it just seems to 'appear'! Fully visible from 18:16.

I thought that part of this for me was a screen res thing, as when I reduced my res from 1440p to 720p, I felt that the planes in Instant Action Dogfighting were easier to see from a distance, but now that I even struggle on some of your videos, I'm not so sure.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Please remember that youtube videos are highly compressed. You will not necessarily see the dot in a youtube video that the player himself did see on the screen while playing.

What kind of monitor are you using? resolution and refresh rate?

What are your game settings.

I find that for the best spotting and target tracking you should run native monitor resolution with;

MSAA x2 or x4 (off, is even better for spotting, but looks too ugly for me)

Anistrophic Filtering x2 or x4

HDR, Depth of Field & Lens effects off.

removing clutter/grass and low trees visibility can help on spotting against ground

as a last resort for spotting the dot, you can try running the game at a resolution lower than your monitor native resolution, i.e. if you have a 2560x1440 monitor, try it at 1920x1080.

It makes it look very ugly, but you might see the one pixel dot now easier as it is scaled up to several pixels on your 2560x1440 screen.

Remember, spotting and target tracking is a skill that you develop over the time. You learn to spot the dot and you learn to anticipate aircraft movement and know where to look for the enemy as you improve your skills.

It might help in the beginning to pratice spotting in single player with labels changed to just red dots (instead of black/gray dots as in BS server).

Edit your labels.lua file for that under C:\Users\[user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

Spotting planes really depends on the contrast behind it. If you are both level to each other, you should be able to easily see him (no terrain behind him). If he's above or below, it will be harder, except against the spit, where the prop is really visible at the moment, but it still requires some skill to see it's prop.

For multiplayer, depends on which altitude you are, you will find either a lot or no one. (make sure you read the briefing and not fly in the wrong direction)

I don't usually fly multiplayer, so I can't give much help there, but in terms of single player missions, there should be a few that were included with the aircraft, in addition to the Instant Action missions, I would think. I don't have the Spitfire, so I can't confirm this personally, but most other modules do have missions included.

Looking through the user created missions that have been uploaded to the DCS website, it looks like most of them are for the Nevada map (apparently to mimic the North Africa campaign in WWII, I believe), but there is at least one mission that has been uploaded for the Caucasus map:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2380303/

I'm sorry that there aren't more single player missions available, I suspect that this is because it is a relatively new module. However, there appear to be 20 or so missions that have been created and uploaded for the P-51D. As the aircraft are similar, it may be possible to download on of these missions, open up the mission editor, find the plane that is set to Player, and change it from the P-51D to the Spitfire.

The P-51D missions can be found here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?PER_PAGE=20&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=1&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=85&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

There are also 33 multiplayer missions for the P-51D, and it is possible that some of these missions might be playable as a single player mission. Similar to the single player mission, you would need to open up the multiplayer mission in the mission editor and change one (or more) of the planes that are set to Client to be a Spitfire instead of a P-51D.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?PER_PAGE=20&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=2&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=85&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

And of course, after playing around with the mission editor to switch these missions from the P-51D to the Spitfire, this might also help you learn about the mission editor and how it can be used to edit or create new missions. It takes a little bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it, it should not be too difficult.

Please remember that youtube videos are highly compressed. You will not necessarily see the dot in a youtube video that the player himself did see on the screen while playing.

What kind of monitor are you using? resolution and refresh rate?

What are your game settings.

I find that for the best spotting and target tracking you should run native monitor resolution with;

MSAA x2 or x4 (off, is even better for spotting, but looks too ugly for me)

Anistrophic Filtering x2 or x4

HDR, Depth of Field & Lens effects off.

removing clutter/grass and low trees visibility can help on spotting against ground

as a last resort for spotting the dot, you can try running the game at a resolution lower than your monitor native resolution, i.e. if you have a 2560x1440 monitor, try it at 1920x1080.

It makes it look very ugly, but you might see the one pixel dot now easier as it is scaled up to several pixels on your 2560x1440 screen.

Remember, spotting and target tracking is a skill that you develop over the time. You learn to spot the dot and you learn to anticipate aircraft movement and know where to look for the enemy as you improve your skills.

It might help in the beginning to pratice spotting in single player with labels changed to just red dots (instead of black/gray dots as in BS server).

Edit your labels.lua file for that under C:\Users\[user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View

Thanks a lot. My monitor is 2880p, but, as I said above, I run all games including DCS at 1440p and I tried at 720p earlier to see if it made a difference. I think it helped, but monitor res is not the whole issue.

I run with MSAA at x2, and same for Anistrophic filtering. I always have HDR and DOF switched off, but tend to keep Lens Effects on.

I'm going to do some practice over the weekend and see how that goes. I practice in Instant Action Dogfighting, and try with labels off, but it's a struggle!

Excellent Advice

So It takes a long, long time when playing full-realism online to learn to spot aircraft. My advice is to prioritize your looking in the area of sky behind and above. Think about protecting your ass as your first job. "Hunting" as an aggressor is secondary.

:lol::megalol::pilotfly:

I couldn't help but to laugh when I read this remark because it is Sooooo True.

That's good advice for everyone actually. Regardless of current skill level.

SnowTiger:joystick:

@imacken

BTW - If you don't already have it, I recommend you download and install TeamSpeak (or your preference of Voiceware Software).

TS is used on "most" multiplayer servers.

It's much easier than typing, especially whilst flying. That Texting can Kill You !

SnowTiger:joystick:

I don't usually fly multiplayer, so I can't give much help there, but in terms of single player missions, there should be a few that were included with the aircraft, in addition to the Instant Action missions, I would think. I don't have the Spitfire, so I can't confirm this personally, but most other modules do have missions included.

Looking through the user created missions that have been uploaded to the DCS website, it looks like most of them are for the Nevada map (apparently to mimic the North Africa campaign in WWII, I believe), but there is at least one mission that has been uploaded for the Caucasus map:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2380303/

I'm sorry that there aren't more single player missions available, I suspect that this is because it is a relatively new module. However, there appear to be 20 or so missions that have been created and uploaded for the P-51D. As the aircraft are similar, it may be possible to download on of these missions, open up the mission editor, find the plane that is set to Player, and change it from the P-51D to the Spitfire.

The P-51D missions can be found here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?PER_PAGE=20&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=1&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=85&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

There are also 33 multiplayer missions for the P-51D, and it is possible that some of these missions might be playable as a single player mission. Similar to the single player mission, you would need to open up the multiplayer mission in the mission editor and change one (or more) of the planes that are set to Client to be a Spitfire instead of a P-51D.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?PER_PAGE=20&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=2&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=85&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

And of course, after playing around with the mission editor to switch these missions from the P-51D to the Spitfire, this might also help you learn about the mission editor and how it can be used to edit or create new missions. It takes a little bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it, it should not be too difficult.

Thanks Hyperion. That all looks like useful advice. I'll give the Caucasus one a go, as the version 2 ones require mods, and that I think causes an issue on Burning Skies server. I had to mess around uninstalling mods before to get on there, so I'll give them a miss!

I convert missions to WWII versions all the time. Just change all the aircraft to warbirds and SAMs to AAA. Convert any modern helos to hueys and MI-8's to shoot at for fun. You can kill the the APC's and AAA's with your Spit cannon but you will need the P-51 rockets for the tanks.

slyfly

you shouldnt fear multiplayer. you should embrace it more than singleplayer.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I convert missions to WWII versions all the time. Just change all the aircraft to warbirds and SAMs to AAA. Convert any modern helos to hueys and MI-8's to shoot at for fun. You can kill the the APC's and AAA's with your Spit cannon but you will need the P-51 rockets for the tanks.

slyfly

That is a great idea! Just dipped my toes into the Mission Editor, so I'll give that a go.

you shouldnt fear multiplayer. you should embrace it more than singleplayer.

I don't 'fear' multiplayer. After all, it's not like I'm really going to die 100 times in a day! :)

Over the many years I have spent gaming - flight sims, racing sims and RPG mainly - I have avoided multiplayer. This is largely for 2 reasons:

1) you often get total idiots playing which spoil things for everyone else. This is particularly true of racing sims when there is always, and I mean always, some guy who decides that it is fun to crash into every other car on the circuit. Also, the guys who decide in action games to start shooting at his comrades. In my opinion, this made playing MP games online a waste of time.

2) there always seemed to me to be a lack of objective in the MP experience. Sure, it was fun getting up in a plane with a couple of mates and seeking out the enemy planes to shoot down, but, in the end, there seemed very little point in that. Just something to dip into from time to time. Personally, I like the aspect of the SP games that allows you to see a strategic goal, mission objectives with particular targets to achieve, being part of a larger campaign. And, if the mission fails, then try again with a different approach to the same problem.

For me, it is more satisfying beating the AI than humans of very different skill levels. There is a huge caveat attached however, and that is the programming skills of the devs in their AI abilities.

I have not really experienced the MP aspect of DCS, so I can't comment on it specifically, but maybe from what you guys are saying it is very different, and 'the way to go', so after some more practice, I will certainly give it a go!

1) you often get total idiots playing which spoil things for everyone else. This is particularly true of racing sims when there is always, and I mean always, some guy who decides that it is fun to crash into every other car on the circuit. Also, the guys who decide in action games to start shooting at his comrades. In my opinion, this made playing MP games online a waste of time.

Gotta say, you almost never (OK very rarely) see this in real flight sims like DCS and Cliffs. On the contrary, you'll often see people offer help before asked, and a lot of "jump on TS and I'll help".

Edited by Perfesser

2) there always seemed to me to be a lack of objective in the MP experience. Sure, it was fun getting up in a plane with a couple of mates and seeking out the enemy planes to shoot down, but, in the end, there seemed very little point in that. Just something to dip into from time to time. Personally, I like the aspect of the SP games that allows you to see a strategic goal, mission objectives with particular targets to achieve, being part of a larger campaign. And, if the mission fails, then try again with a different approach to the same problem.

I hope some of the server guru's setup a Normandy server that has real mission objective that will reset say every two hours, not sure how popular this would be tho? I guess if you really want that type of immersion in MP you might be better joining a group thats organised to do these mission, would be nice if I had the time to join.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link