Distances on Briefings

On Spring Tensions campaign, you can see in the briefing the heading and distances as fractions.

How do you calculate such distance?

I know I can just go on mission planner and use the ruler, but I don't want to see units locations.

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

I'm not sure I understand the question. Instructions on headings and distances of your waypoints would be determined from a paper map. If they aren't in the briefing of the mission you are flying the only way would be to ask the mission designer to include them.

See the attached image, it is an image avalaible in the briefing.

Along the routes you can see the heading and distance (a fraction). It's the value of the distance I can't understand

1440319098.jpg.95c7820f932e5694513622365ebb958a.jpg

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

Ah, thanks, that made that clearer. Maybe somebody else knows this for sure, but I believe these mean for example

30/8 306°

fly heading 306° for 30km at an altitude of 800m.

Almost correct.

I believe it's...

30/8 306°

fly heading 306° for 30km, ideally it will take 8 minutes, i.e. a speed of 225km/h aka 121kt.

You need to calculate your ideal speed for each leg (if you are thorough).

There are two short legs, 8km and 6km that are both suposed to take 2min. The reason is the 6km leg being a heavy climb.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

It seems to be more or less like that. The first time I tried to understand it, I didn't take into account ruler gives you that damn nm.

IMO 30/8 is 30km / 800m height of the terrain. Anyways thanks, distance was most important

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

IMO 30/8 is 30km / 800m height of the terrain.

You do realize the first leg will then be rathe high? Unreasonably high, 1600m = 5250ft. And not even above the sea, but over terrain?!

If you calculate all "fractions" you will see they are quite similar (except the climbing 6km leg). Speaks for being minutes as the "denominator".

Not a showstopper if wrong interpretation, but still.

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

It seems that there are some perpetual mysteries to the universe ...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=197364

:) :) :)

However, we are not trying to figure out the grand unification theory here, and given that somewhere, some human put those maps together and is still presumably alive, one would think an answer would be forthcoming from the mission designers/developers? Maybe a post in the Russian Belsimtek forums might be needed?

• Like 1

So, the large number next to the fraction is compas heading to be flown between waypoints. Top number in fraction is distance (in KM in this case), and the bottom number shows time required (in minutes) to fly that leg.

Note however that the distance is measured, while the time and compass heading is calculated according to wind conditions and compass errors.

That's the way VFR maps are drawn, whether in military or civil aviation.

So, the large number next to the fraction is compas heading to be flown between waypoints...

... compass heading is calculated according to wind conditions and compass errors

I would assume it's the desired track, most likely true track IRL but map (ME) track in DCS, not heading. Thus measured as well. But indeed, compass heading need to be calculated.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

compass heading need to be calculated.

Do you mean substracting 6 degrees?

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

Do you mean substracting 6 degrees?
Yes, the variation, to get magnetic heading.

To get compass heading you need to take wind into account. A lot of information on that around the net.

To be picky, the aircrafts effect on your compass (has a name I forgot) shall be included as well, but I don't know if it's modeled. In real aircrafts there shall be a placard with correction values for different magnetic headings to be used.

But I never do these calculations, except the 6 degrees. In the Mi-8 use the dopler navigation equipment.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

LOL

It was supposed to be a link to a 2016 thread asking the same question regarding the stock campaign briefings, and a note that it was explained in some of the following pages.

The image is from the Military and aviation thread...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2646016&highlight=briefing#post2646016

Ah, yes, the third poster draw the same conclusion as I. Thanks.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

LOL

It was supposed to be a link to a 2016 thread asking the same question regarding the stock campaign briefings, and a note that it was explained in some of the following pages.

The image is from the Military and aviation thread...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2646016&highlight=briefing#post2646016

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

• 3 months later...

I've just started the default mi8 campaign and had the same question about these strange fractions on the briefing map.

Well, it appears that at least on the first mission of the campaign the distances are wrong for the first two legs. The briefing says the first leg is 12km while upon measuring it on the map it is 9.5nm/17.7km. Likewise, the second leg claimed to be 8km while it really is 6.2nm/11.6km. The rest of the legs are pretty much fine.

I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong here, yet it seems that the person who made the briefing maps did not pay enough attention.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I've just started the default mi8 campaign and had the same question about these strange fractions on the briefing map.

Well, it appears that at least on the first mission of the campaign the distances are wrong for the first two legs. The briefing says the first leg is 12km while upon measuring it on the map it is 9.5nm/17.7km. Likewise, the second leg claimed to be 8km while it really is 6.2nm/11.6km. The rest of the legs are pretty much fine.

I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong here, yet it seems that the person who made the briefing maps did not pay enough attention.

The first leg, did you measure from the FARP or the SP/DP? The numbers given are from SP/DP. For the second one it do sound strange. Might have a look tomorrow.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

top number is distance in miles and bottom number is time it takes in minutes to complete that leg based on average speed reported in the latin E (summary) tab in the unit properties in the planner.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

top number is distance in miles and bottom number is time it takes in minutes to complete that leg based on average speed reported in the latin E (summary) tab in the unit properties in the planner.
Why on earth would the Russians use miles??

If my memory serves me right from when I investigated this myself, it's definitely in km. But I'll have a look tomorrow.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I've checked, and the reason for the disparity in leg lengths between ME and the briefing pictures are because WP1 and WP2 is located slightly different.

[ATTACH]183139[/ATTACH]

As you can see in the picture WP2 are supposed to be located above a bridge, specifically stated to be so, while in ME its located 3km to the east on a small hill. WP1 (FARP) should be located north of Tskhinvali, but are located abour 2.5km south on the west side of the town. If measured from the mentioned positions the distances are correct.

In that respect you are right, something is wrong. But the interpretation of the numbers are still "DISTANCE[km]"/"TIME[min]" "HEADING[true/ME]"

778181078_EN-map01CCEF46D7-66EC-4c9b-8C8D-86A1B132D949.png.6fa78b1c3047ec68b9d9eb6d4edc342d.png

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I don't know but to me those were obvious when I first time saw those as kid (didn't even read English back then, less knowing about western aircrafts using maritime navigation methods, what was already idiotic by a kid opinion) on charts.

Distance
 _____     Compass ° degree
  Time

It is again interesting how it can get confusing when it is metrics vs imperial-maritime.

And to make things simpler, you only give the minimal information:

Compass ° degree
     _____    
    Distance

As when you are not required to be on specific location at specific time, the time to complete the leg is irrelevant depending weather and flight conditions. If you are given a time, then you can calculate the speed to it, but it is very difficult really as you would need to count in all landings, take-offs, turnings etc. But you can get "good enough" if needed.

The same thing is for the altitude, it is irrelevant as it depends about weather or situation, and based to your speed you can calculate your time to distance.

http://www.softschools.com/formulas/physics/distance_speed_time_formula/75/

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.