Multiplayer in 2.5

jejsus

What will 2.5 bring into multiplayer? Didn't find ED officials say anything about MP engine upgrade (if I missed it please point me), just high expectations from suffering users. I'm keeping my hands off any new future modules if it's gonna degrade performancewise, laggwise like it currently does, PERIOD.

I believe dedicated servers were mentioned by Wags sometime in the past (can't remember 100% for certain, have heard a lot of things "in the works" at this point), but haven't heard anything recently. I wouldn't expect anything with 2.5, but maybe we will have a pleasant surprise.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Right now the 2.2 is awful, takes about 8-10 minutes to get into a server with 25+ players, the game crash after that time, and maybe is possible that you can play in the next time, but is not for sure! Yesterday I was unable to play in the 99th server, and I tried more than three times to connect, but was futile

• 1 month later...

I am surprised that there are no dedicated servers support yet, are we still living in the 90´s?

There must be a reason for why they are still sticking around with having to have the full installation + dx11 capable cards to even be able to host a server.

And as most servers online runs very slow, sluggish and have to be restarted frequently id love to see and update for the future plans.

Most people here play online anyways!

ED! please give us some good news!

i7 6700k | 16GB DDR4 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 960 EVO | HTC Vive

I am surprised that there are no dedicated servers support yet, are we still living in the 90´s?

There must be a reason for why they are still sticking around with having to have the full installation + dx11 capable cards to even be able to host a server.

And as most servers online runs very slow, sluggish and have to be restarted frequently id love to see and update for the future plans.

Most people here play online anyways!

ED! please give us some good news!

The assumption you have that most people play online isn't true. Most of the DCS World player base is in the single player realm. Us in the multiplayer space just assume that most of the player community is in the multiplayer arena because that is what we do and how we play, but its not the case. There was poll done late last year or sometime this year that asked what type of game play you take part in in DCS and the majority actually said single player.

On the statement of why the servers need to be restarted... That's actually not that uncommon for simulations that have smaller developer bases. ArmA is the same way. It requires server restarts every 3-4 hours which is very similar to DCS. Im not saying what we have is correct, but its not all that uncommon in other games.

Outside of the connect/disconnect/skin changing/loading new plane lag (do these actions REALLY need to halt the runtime of the entire server?????) - I gotten my server to hum the best of all of them(pretty much) with any type of substance on it (units, etc), if there is a better way of running a server I'll figure it out(the hard way, process of elimination), just hope they accept my bug reports for 2.5 because they will be professional and straight to the point (prob in private at first as a respectful move).

That being said, I WISH they would stop this nonsense with not designing the game engine AROUND multiplayer, this focus on campaigns is ridiculous, well I am putting my boots to the floor, over 7 months developing DDCS game engine and its up in a slightly buggy form right now(bugs getting squashed daily!) - I WILL prove that MP is the way to go, STOP TREATING MULTIPLAYER AS THE RED HEADED STEPCHILD, MP is the future, there is no way around that lol

-Drex

Developer of DDCS Cloud Dynamic Engine for DCS, Dynamic Caucasus server (first of many)

P.S. The new backend engine and server is hosted on BRAND NEW HARDWARE, i7-7700k, 32 gigs of DDR4, m.2 onboard SSD. I am ready for 2.5, hosted on a 1 GB Fiber Connection, BRING IT!

Edited by Drexx

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

There was poll done late last year or sometime this year that asked what type of game play you take part in in DCS and the majority actually said single player.

The poll is wrong - poll was probably only filled out by specific type of players, I will show and prove this! Single Player is predictable and boring(if it isn't initially, it will be, items in the same place all the time, same events..), seriously (unless people like to fly by themselves and have a sub par experience - I wouldnt of put as much work into my recent engine if I didn't fully believe this.)

Edited by Drexx

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

The poll is wrong - poll was probably only filled out by specific type of players, I will show and prove this! Single Player is predictable and boring(if it isn't initially, it will be, items in the same place all the time, same events..), seriously (unless people like to fly by themselves and have a sub par experience - I wouldnt of put as much work into my recent engine if I didn't fully believe this.)

Much like polls of the last U.S. Election. A campaign is not going to motivate me to buy a module but a multiplayer campaign would. Also top corporate management and deciders can always find an analysis that supports their own views. Example is blockbuster thinking it was fine because people liked to read the back of DVD boxes and buy popcorn from them rather than use Netflix. Look at the industry and you'll see multiplayer is the long term money maker.

The assumption you have that most people play online isn't true. Most of the DCS World player base is in the single player realm. Us in the multiplayer space just assume that most of the player community is in the multiplayer arena because that is what we do and how we play, but its not the case. There was poll done late last year or sometime this year that asked what type of game play you take part in in DCS and the majority actually said single player.

On the statement of why the servers need to be restarted... That's actually not that uncommon for simulations that have smaller developer bases. ArmA is the same way. It requires server restarts every 3-4 hours which is very similar to DCS. Im not saying what we have is correct, but its not all that uncommon in other games.

I have two words: garbage collectors. The programmers should know better, but my feeling is that.. they don't :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

When DCS 2.5 comes out will DX11 be mandatory or will people still be able to use DX9? Will server owners have to update their servers with a DX11 card?

DX11 became mandatory already with the new graphic engine (EDGE) that was introduced with DCS 1.5.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Disclaimer: I do not mean this as a bash, just painting a picture of the reality.

It's a catch 22. Many people are not interested in MP because of how bad it has been and how many problems it still has. I remember the days of 1.2.4 where the server crashed every 20 minutes if more than 5 people were flying. If you had more than 10 guys on the 51st or the 104th server and it didn't crash in an hour you considered yourself lucky.

It has been somewhat steadily improving but there are still ways to go. The other end of the problem is that since the vast majority of people are not interested in MP (either because they simply don't care, or the afforementioned issues put them off) it appears to the developers that this is a low priority issue. And then the loop is closed..

Fortunately due to heavy community involvement now we have some more emphasis put on MP and it definitely had a big impact on how it is. Hopefully this will continue :)

Based on previous updates I'd expect 2.5 MP to be a rough start but I'm sure they'll make it work. Screw it, who cares anyway, to hell with those triangle mountains. :megalol:

You are all aware I am sure that ED has already said a dedicated server is coming. I'm still waiting for any evidence you have to support your utterly spurious claims about multiplayer.

As the last poster said, things are improving, and with the release of 2.5 taking priority for very obvious reasons, with it released, and stable, we can expect movement on other issues - including multiplayer functionality.

Some of us have been flying multiplayer missions for years. It works. But yes, we would welcome the overhaul that has been promised. But what's with the bull about it being what DCS World is all about? For a small minority it might be. Please, stop trying to twist indisputable facts to strengthen your argument. All you are doing is wrecking your credibility.

Unless of course you have this non-existent evidence?

• ED Team

Multiplayer improvements are not part of 2.5.

When ED have more info to share about Multiplayer they will.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I really don't think the poll was "wrong" per se, it did collect some good data, and while one could say the majority voted for singleplayer, that assumption is plain wrong. There were three options: SP, MP PvE and MP PvP. SP did get the most votes, but both MP added together were quite a bunch more than pure SP.

Anyway, I am certain it is save to assume, that if we had the promised rewritten netcode and dedicated server already, plus more properly coded dynamic MP missions as they are popping up more and more, we would have a LOT more people in MP.

Currently including myself, many people have opted out of MP, as the frustration-level is just way too high (being dead serious here).

Having a bit of software background I do understand the trouble ED is having with it, and their decision to focus on 2.5 before they touch anythign else. Well with 2.5 just being hours away, my expectations on ED to finally and properly touch MP are through the roof.

You are all aware I am sure that ED has already said a dedicated server is coming.

Are you sure? All I know of is ED "plans to release a dedicated server" and "everything is subject to change". Would be great if we had a definitive commitment.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Yeah he is getting a little excited.

ED said they have 'plans' for a Dedicated Server, that doesn't mean anything other than they 'plan' to introduce it one day.

They never said when,

They never said how,

They just said they plan to do it.

@Drexx

While I admire your enthusiasm I'm afraid your facts are a little misplaced.

SP totally blows MP out of the water in DCS.

The difference is astronomical between the amount of people that fly online vs the amount of people that play DCS in SP.

You shouldn't take too much from the poll that was conducted on the forum, the vast majority of DCS users have no account on the forums so it's not an accurate way of gauging how the community is set up.

DCS MP has a big future, especially with all the community content creators, but it will be something that has to be grown over time. We have already come a long way since the first days of DCS with FC3 introduced.

This time in 5 years I am sure the MP scene will be transformed and hopefully will be more akin to other popular online games such as Arma3 etc in terms of the number of clients actually playing it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

that is quite sad to read,

one one hand we have only basic MP and on the other hand AI that is...improvable (doesnt make mistakes, all seeing or blind)...

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

;3371881']

This time in 5 years I am sure the MP scene will be transformed and hopefully will be more akin to other popular online games such as Arma3 etc in terms of the number of clients actually playing it.

Half-Life 3 confirmed! :megalol:

Yes. the DCS benefit now has been that hardware has come cheaper to run it well. And we have got in few years far more modules than just FC3 + BS2 + WH. So there is far more to everyone to fly.

But if the ED manages to come up with a MP server binaries that can be placed to run on closet server, it will be big big thing for many.

If it just would be so easy to "don't render anything" but it ain't :(

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...