Hornet vs FC3 PFM Jets

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I'm curious what people's opinions are on how the Hornet will stack up in the close in dogfight arena against the 2 Flanker variants and the F-15C.

In real life the Hornet has a reputation as an excellent close in dogfighter, but if the ED Hornet is bound by a highly realistic flight model compared to FC3 jets, won't the Hornet be at a disadvantage?

I'm curious what people's opinions are on how the Hornet will stack up in the close in dogfight arena against the 2 Flanker variants and the F-15C.

In real life the Hornet has a reputation as an excellent close in dogfighter, but if the ED Hornet is bound by a highly realistic flight model compared to FC3 jets, won't the Hornet be at a disadvantage?

The F-15C has a PFM/EFM already as I believe the SU-33/SU-27 do as well. The Mig-29 is still in the works.

The workload will be greater in the Hornet, though the capabilities with sensors will also be greater. In a turning fight, with a good pilot, the Hornet should get an advantage over the F-15C. The Su-27 should be able to leverage their HMD tracking to get first shot with off-bore IR missile launches.

That is until the Hornet gets the Aim-9X which will have a greater off-bore site launch window. If the SU-27 gets into a slow turning fight and cannot get an IR missile launch off, the Hornet pilot should be able to get his nose on the SU-27 with its nose authority and get a gun kill.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

It'll stack up the way any competently designed 4th gen fighter does.

The first pilot to make mistakes past an unrecoverable threshold dies. One big mistake, or a bunch of smaller ones, it doesn't really matter.

It's not a matter of an airplane winning, but of the pilot not losing.

I do think that the high alpha attributes of the Hornet and the Flanker family will make for some really great gun fights.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

Guest Guest
I do think that the high alpha attributes of the Hornet and the Flanker family will make for some really great gun fights.

I hope that's the case. I enjoy a good gunfight.

The Su-27 will obliterate the Hornet, they're so easy to kill in Fortress Mozdok! Of course, that's including BVR, and excluding the AIM-9X, but I still think the Flanker has the advantage.

And you call yourself a Michigander, Flankers better than a Hornet pfhh. You must be the kinda guy that says Fiat>Ford in your neck of the woods.

Hornet EA is hobbled vs. Red FC3 jets. No AMRAAM, STT only, no 9X, no JHMCS.

Yeah, I suspect it will be tough going at EA. Once the module matures though it will be pretty potent. AMRAAM, 9X, ATFLIR, full APG73 functionality, JHMCS, Link 16... tough combo to beat.

Edited by Boogieman

It might be a bit limited at first but I strongly suspect the Hornet will be the single most capable fighter and fixed wing mudmover in the game once released. The reasons are a combination of maneuverability, payload and simply the variety of payload it can carry.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

It might be a bit limited at first but I strongly suspect the Hornet will be the single most capable fighter and fixed wing mudmover in the game once released. The reasons are a combination of maneuverability, payload and simply the variety of payload it can carry.

Agreed - particularly when the JHMCS and Aim9x combo are available. That'll be a massive impact on WVR fights in the game, and the Hornet will be close to equal to the F15 so far as MRM fights with the Aim120. Plus as you said, all the a2g ord and systems as well. Hornet will reign supreme until some future a/c, perhaps the Tomcat will displace it, but not in visual range fights.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

It will overall be very competitive. Since JHCMS and AIM120 capability are not on the table for some time (maybe after TGP, Harm, A/G radar?) It will be a lot more effective on the 1980s servers until then. Short legs, lower acceleration / top speed and 7-7.5G limit will be the most major downsides of this jet.

Ill just add my subjective 2c here.

Once the Hornet gets ALL of its weapon functionality Im gonna have fun trolling enemy defences with the HARMs, Im probably gonna try some weird all AIM9X loadout for another type of trolling down in the weeds with the Flankers, as well as an all AMRAAM loadout for some Link16 fun with some fellow Hornet trollers.

With all of that said, Im gonna be spending the majority of my time in the F14, because Mach2+, no fancy fbw systems, and a buddy in the back seat to guide those long range sticks in, kind of trumps the Hornet in the cool factor by a mile ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Once the Hornet gets ALL of its weapon functionality Im gonna have fun trolling enemy defences with the HARMs, Im probably gonna try some weird all AIM9X loadout for another type of trolling down in the weeds with the Flankers, as well as an all AMRAAM loadout for some Link16 fun with some fellow Hornet trollers.

With all of that said, Im gonna be spending the majority of my time in the F14, because Mach2+, no fancy fbw systems, and a buddy in the back seat to guide those long range sticks in, kind of trumps the Hornet in the cool factor by a mile ;)

Until someone released a DCS S-400 or S-500 module, one module to troll them all! :megalol: And it woud compensate the lack of modern red force fighters. :joystick::cry:

Sorry for OT.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Yeah well the problem with SAMs is you can steer clear of them so that diminishes their effectiveness and trolling factor. You can also make them run out of missiles with relative safety.

At some point the hornet will also have the SLAM-ER which will be excellent for taking down radars.

If we ever got a MIG31 (when hell freezes over) we would truly have a true redfor powerhouse. Maybe we could settle with an updated SU-27...

Su-27S is the first production model of the Su-27 family, so it will be far less useful by avionics as by flight capabilities than what even little newer versions like Su-35 (Su-27M) and Su-27SM are and even more newer ones.

But even with being just S model, it should be able to fly around F-18 in most cases. But can it keep up as long periods with older engines?

A more modern than Su-27S can do extremely fast turns and extremely tight turns (better than any western one) and should be able climb faster and all being better. But what our Su-27S can do is totally different case.

But the F-18 will do a lot to the case as it is far far better dog fighter than F-15C there is. So probably we are talking more about F-18C vs Mirage 2000C arena.

As well when the Mig-29 comes out with PFM we get to see what can be get from it. As likely it is as well as radical flight model change as Su-27S had from BFM to PFM.

But the real limitation we have now in every dog fight etc, is that we don't have good simulation of G forces generated quickly or for moments in longer time. As now it is like ironman sitting in a cockpit and sometimes getting just some fake blackout or redout instead losing quickly the colors, seeing capability see around, incapability to turn head while in pulls, no capability to move hands from HOTAS etc.

All those are far more damaging to good air combat maneuvering as virtual pilots doesn't need to care about all that almost at all. Everyone can just keep pulling G just to keep the small center visible while looking around without problems. Operate the cockpit without problems. And recover from any maneuver in a second just by doing a slight negative G move a while.

So on us it is more about the pilot who can trick the system better than the other. Avoid doing the first small mistake and then avoid from not using the moment when other does the mistake.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Once the Hornet gets ALL of its weapon functionality Im gonna have fun trolling enemy defences with the HARMs

If the SAMs would be even 20% capable what they are in reality, your HARMS would be wasted in most cases anyways.

Im probably gonna try some weird all AIM9X loadout for another type of trolling down in the weeds with the Flankers, as well as an all AMRAAM loadout for some Link16 fun with some fellow Hornet trollers.

And if we would get a Su-27SM (2002-2003) or Su-27M (Su-35, 1986) or even Su-27SKM (1991) or we could get even the half of the weapon system features that we should have, you would be in serious problems with the Hornet.

Well... F-14 is the F-18 in steroids. F-14 only capable to go supersonic with its weaponload while F-18 is limited to subsonic speeds.

But likely the Phoenix missile gets little OP by its performance against maneuvering targets... And how everyone is loading them up like they would be AIM-9 kind missiles that cost nothing, doesn't weight anything, doesn't have any availability problems etc.

But as F-14 doesn't need to fear any real missile threats that redforces would have, it is easy to dominate the skies then...

Yeah well the problem with SAMs is you can steer clear of them so that diminishes their effectiveness and trolling factor. You can also make them run out of missiles with relative safety.

At some point the hornet will also have the SLAM-ER which will be excellent for taking down radars.

Some radars only. That can't be steered nor turned off in time. But in case of DCS, yes every radar as there is no AI logic to do correct counter-ARM actions.

Just like we have idiotic SAM crews, where they launch missile as soon as possible, without sneak attack tactics whenever possible, without networking, without even basic trapment tactics and ARM lures.

If SAM crews and systems would be even half realistic, you would very much need to work hard to get SAM sites off.

If we ever got a MIG31 (when hell freezes over) we would truly have a true redfor powerhouse. Maybe we could settle with an updated SU-27...

Why Mig-31? It is a interceptor that ain't agile. Meant to be fast, meant to cover large vast areas and launch missiles to multiple non-maneuvering targets from long ranges sneakily and then turn and burn away for a next wing to take part.

If we could get a Nordic Countries northern part and part of northern Russia. We would really see the need for Mig-31 and see the benefits of Su-27.

Barents_Sea.thumb.PNG.d07aef69d6e9f7f6ae60ce1700ce928b.PNG

Barents_Sea2.thumb.PNG.4b15dc698844e2e2c6346b610694b71d.PNG

F-18C would as well fit to that map totally great as Finland operates with F/A-18C and we could use Viggen as well there and if we in future see a F-16... We would get Norway to use it. And if we get ever a Grippen, then Sweden would be operator for that (and likely Finland as well for future missions).

True the MiG-31 can't maneuver worth anything, but it could just provide BVR cover for MiG-29Ss or Su-27Ss that could obliterate the enemy in WVR. Besides, it's just fun to shoot at enemies before they can shoot at you, I once used a mod that allowed me to use the R-24T, R-33, R-40T, and R-77 on the Su-27, and those+R-60M on Su-33 (so, I know what the R-33 is like).

And if we would get a Su-27SM (2002-2003) or Su-27M (Su-35, 1986) or even Su-27SKM (1991) or we could get even the half of the weapon system features that we should have, you would be in serious problems with the Hornet...

Not serious problems, just facing a very worthy opponent! ;-)

I personally would love to see a full fidelity Su27SM, Su30 or Mig29M/K in the game. It would really give the red team some much needed love in the mid-2000s timeframe that DCS is set in.

Edited by Boogieman