[NOT A BUG][MERGED] HUD COMBINER COATING

FistofZen

Me and my friend analyzed the HUD purple tint after seeing the latest video of the Hornet, by Magz.

We came to the conclusion that the HUD purple tint too dark is and not very realistic.

A couple of documents below.

On the first video, when the background is bright, the purple tint is almost gone, but when the background is darker, the purple tint is a bit more present, but still not dark as in game.

Edited by FistofZen

Am I special?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top video looks like it's tinted just right. Your comparing it from an angle that isn't correct. Let's just let them come out with it before we start picking out details we think are wrong...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Yeah, the models are different, but the point is the same. With current Deferred shader, it is really dark.

http://voodoo-world.cz/hornet/info.html - On this website you can find the a picture of the HUD.

Edit - It seems that "angles" play a major role in deciding whether something is realistic or not.

Edited by FistofZen

Am I special?

I saw a video of the Blue Angles and asked why the right MFD looked different than in the sim....I was told that it was something called the strobe effect from photography. Like the guys have said....different angles make a huge difference.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Is anyone of the readers not hurt by my post?

It seems that you understood this post as a request to remove the tint, which is not what I requested and I didn't request anything at all, it is just something what we observed and I wanted to share the thoughts.

I apologize, I should have know its the angles. This is something new to add on the "list of excuses".

Am I special?

I saw a video of the Blue Angles and asked why the right MFD looked different than in the sim....I was told that it was something called the strobe effect from photography. Like the guys have said....different angles make a huge difference.

Strobo effect is when you have a strobo light that flickers very quickly.

That can happen with some very rare LCD panels that doesn't refresh whole screen same time but does the rolling update.

There are many other factors to count as well. Coatings is one of the most important ones that are wanted to be applied to all optics or surfaces. A most often you could see a polarization filter that will cut light two times darker, but you will get glare removed almost totally. Problem is that if you have other polarization filter that you rotate 90 degrees to other filter and light doesn't reflected at all or passed. And this is problem with polarization sun glasses as you can hit to that problem.

A HUD could clearly be used with polarization filter as you get enhanced contrast, but same time a UV filter would render blue stronger and remove the violet tint (ultra violet light).

What you can as well do is to use a other special anti-glare glasses that are placed on the surface of glass and it will direct the light straight front, but viewed more from angle the light doesn't reflect so glass turns black.

This is something you would want to use on the MFCD panels as the glare from surrounding light would be very minimal as it would need to shine to panel from straight front, so behind the pilot. It will increase the contrast but lowers your angle of visibility.

Then there are other challenging things like the camera framerate and shutter speed relation to refresh rate of the screen. And when you do that, you can get very fancy effects as the rolling shutter effect (sensor readout speed from bottom to top) with shutter speed doesn't keep up. With global shutter (whole sensor is read out at once) you can get other fancy effects, like this:

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Is anyone of the readers not hurt by my post?

It seems that you understood this post as a request to remove the tint, which is not what I requested and I didn't request anything at all, it is just something what we observed and I wanted to share the thoughts.

I apologize, I should have know its the angles. This is something new to add on the "list of excuses".

No man, do not take it that way! Great observation. We ALL want the sim as realistic as possible. Do not be discouraged from posting.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Looking at the videos posted, the HUD does seem to be too tinted for me. Taking the video posted by MurderOne there is a short moment where the camera is fairly in line with the HUD and still not as tinted (so it can't be angle alone, given that the tint hardly changes and the tint actually seems a bit darker at an angle in that video, not straight on).

On the other hand, does anyone have a video or photo of a real F-18 HUD being as dark as the DCS one? So far, I couldn't find any.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

From here:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/9922061650862956/

Edited by ams999
Attach photo

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

I agree, when I saw the videos, besides my jaw hitting the floor, I thought the HUD seemed a little too dark.

I was thinking DCS would get input from the real world Hornet pilots they have access to for development in order to get the HUD hue and opaqueness right.

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

I think its a pretty cool effect I wouldn't want to see it changed too much, I'm sure it would look a little different on your screen at home than on a youtube video etc.

Also I wouldn't trust photos of HUDs as the camera in question (especially if its a video cam) is probably not capturing the same effect your eyeballs would give you seeing it in person.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

These semi-transparent screens tend to have some reflections in color when the external light comes in at unfavorable angle. This has to do how the wavelength-selective mirror is done: it is quite nontransparent to the green shade used in HUD symbology, but yet is rather naturally seen through by human eye with little dimming as much as I recall. Eye is pretty sensitive to the wavelengths purportedly selected for the HUD projection, therefore noticing little dimming of the background while improving the contrast of the display. But in certain angles, HUD certainly reflects a tint, apparently as a result of the ray distance of the layers changing with the angle.

Edited by AKarhu

Also I wouldn't trust photos of HUDs as the camera in question (especially if its a video cam) is probably not capturing the same effect your eyeballs would give you seeing it in person.

^ this.

reflector tint do indeed get exaggerated by some camera sensor even when it can be barely recognized by human eye.

I agree tint is a bit too much from the videos we have seen but let’s wait and a see when it comes out! Also since when do hornets carry aim9 on any spot except wingtips.. I’ve never seen that before but i could be wrong. I know super hornets do not ever. Last request is more shake/buffet while pulling gs and at high angles of attack. It should be slightly difficult to read the hud during max performance turns.. this sim looks great so far.