How to Create a Dedicated Server. 10 Easy Steps

• 3 months later...

Hi! I dont know if this is the right forum to ask this but I cannot setup a werver on my computer...

I tried to make a simple mission with a few AC as clients and , in DCS multiplayer, I clicked NEW SERVER and made one with my new mission (which I tested on my side and it works fine, but friends cannot see it outside...

I checked my IP with the website whatismyipaddress.com and it tells me it is static (a good start)... I checked and in DCS the server I try to make is giving the right IP address...

I did specify the port 10308 in inbound in windows Firewall (as explained by BIGNEWY) but I suspect that between the actual windows firewall that is actually probably overridden by my Norton antivirus and my ASUS router, there might be something I dont know how to setup... can you help me?

thanks!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Wow, thanks that is a very precise and detailed answer.

I did make a static IP address for my gaming comp as explained and I did allow port 10308 in my ASUS router as explained... Now I dont have anybody to test it but will try later, thanks so much!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

do you have a way to check if my thing is working and if I make a home made server it shows on the public list?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

do you have a way to check if my thing is working and if I make a home made server it shows on the public list?

Yes. Search google for "Port Checker, A simple tool to check for open ports on your computer." Then fill inn your IP address and 10308 and press "check"

Hi HiJack

Thanks for the help.

I am sure I did what is necessary in the Router configuration to have the Port 10308 open (for both protocols) and I know that in my Norton Antivirus, DCS is expressly authorized... still, port checker says that 10308 is closed... any other idea?

sorry to bother, I would like this to work so much!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window Firewall maybe?

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

ok will check as well.

I didnt touch it because it says that it is being managed by an external program (Norton antivirus)... but will check

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok here is a bit of info that is interesting: after having configured to my best port forwarding for port 10308 for both FTP and UDP Protocols, both in Windows firewall, Norton antivirus AND my router, when I used portchecker.co it always said that my port 10308 was closed... I thought of something and tried: I fired up DCS , multiplayer, made a NEW NETWORK, started it, and then checked portchecker and LO! My port 10308 was OPEN!!!!! great.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi again and thanks for your patience... I did all what I consider necessary to host a server and open all the relevant ports and still, I just tried with my buddy and it didnt work... Question: He is on DCS open beta 2.5.1 and I am on DCS release 2.5.0 ... is it possible that this would be the reason for him not seeing my server? The funny thing is that his servers list in the multiplayer module is totally different than my server list in mine... ???? Thanks again for your help!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok that is what I thought... Can I run both 2.5.0 and beta 2.5.1 on the same machine just for that purpose? are the missions compatible?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are they dedicated servers for private/public use in the sw USA? What do the normally run

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

By the way, HiJack, if you dont mind me asking, I have a question about Multiplayer. I have played SP since LOMAC 2004! But multiplayer is fairly recent : are there good multiplayer campaigns (or collections of multiplayer missions) that I could play with my buddy? and how to host them ?

where to look for these? (I am not talking about a live server but rather campaigns like Bear Trap or other but that I could play with my friend?

thanks

JF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not HiJack but when you go to the Multiplayer server list there may be a vague description in the mission title. If not there, click on the server and there will usually be a description of the mission near the bottom of the screen. There are so many servers/missions out there but you can sort any of the columns to narrow down your choices.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

thanks for your answer sslechta.

I didnt mean on the multiplayer platform but rather campaigns with a series of missions (like the SP campaigns) but playable for 2 people, for practicing... ??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2. Login to your (virtual) dedicated server, download, and install the game on it.

Q: Should I purchase different DCS modules for my server's account too, if I want to host a mission with them?

A: No. You do not need to purchase any modules for the server's account. You can run any mission on your dedicated server, with no modules installed.

It's this valid also for the Terrains? I've recently downloaded a nice Nevada mission that I would like to use on my server, but it's seams doesn't work on my server ( using a server account with no modules ), while is running fine on my flying machine with my "personal" account where I have all my modules, and OFC my Nevada Map.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

It's this valid also for the Terrains? I've recently downloaded a nice Nevada mission that I would like to use on my server, but it's seams doesn't work on my server ( using a server account with no modules ), while is running fine on my flying machine with my "personal" account where I have all my modules, and OFC my Nevada Map.

You need to buy terrains but modules is not needed.