VR IMPROVEMENTS

javipamp

I think he wants to write down the coords on a sheet of paper before he enters them in his nav-system.

Ah ok, that makes sense.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse my ignorance, but why can’t you input coords in VR?

in one mission you get 3 target locations in a single radio call.

That's not doable without a scratch pad. But sometimes I don't even manage a single coord, when it's not somehow announced beforehand. Mix up 37T and 38T and you're completely borked without notes.

Those are the examples of complex missions not properly doable in VR for me.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

A VR knee pad would be so cool.

Yep, that would be excellent. How would we input to the kneepad though?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Maybe something like a clearance recorder utility would do it? It could record incoming radio transmissions and you could hit a button to play them back when you need them.

There is a good kneeboard in VR in DCS. It would be awesome if it had a page in it that could accept dynamic input. Maybe text that could go along with the voice transmission.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Ironically, a physical kneepad would work best, I would think. When sitting, you can see through the nose of the bridge, no?

An auto cut-n-paste would be nice though.

Or an auto kneeboard that keeps track of 9 Line's automatically.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

There is a good kneeboard in VR in DCS. It would be awesome if it had a page in it that could accept dynamic input. Maybe text that could go along with the voice transmission.

An auto cut-n-paste would be nice though.

Or an auto kneeboard that keeps track of 9 Line's automatically.

Yes and yes.

Maybe something like a clearance recorder utility would do it? It could record incoming radio transmissions and you could hit a button to play them back when you need them.

You just hit the bullseye.

That's exactly what the Aviation Industry needs in real life. With all the computer technology out there, the governent and public transportation electronic infrastructure is absolutely horrible in comparison.

All official airways voice communications at the ATC ground facility that are currently archived, yes archived, because they aren't accessible in real-time by the operators, they can't play back any of the stuff at moments notice, only the investigators when they open archive they can access it, so it's all offline storage. You could do the same thing on the airplane, in addition to a black box, you would have a "COMMS BUFFER" where you would be able to go 24 hours back and replay the comms, browse by frequency, etc, the airplane would simply have less storage available because it has space/cost/energy constraints, this kind of a think can probably be an addon, it would just plug in whatever outputs those radios have, or a splitter in the middle before it goes to the headphone, however the method of just dumping aduio would be limited to the frequency being set at the time that's output to that port, and you wouldn't be able to search by frequency or anything else, only time.

There is also oppositon to going to digital, they want to keep analog signals for a number of reasons which I don't remember now. In analog only one person can talk at one time on one frequency, otherwise things get blocked as we know, which can be deadly and I think did lead to real disasters.

With digital, all the involved get their own voice channel, and the ATC/radio system could record everything on the whole AirVoice band if necessary, then the ATC/pilots would have a control panel selecting which freqs/voice-channels they would be actively listening, let's say I want to have frequency 135.5 in left ear, and frequency 134.7 in right ear, and that pilot from Cessna AB460 was annoying so that's let's just mute that voice-channel that's on 134.7, and with the live recording/buffering and replaying feature, they would be able to go back and isolate the voice-channel from everything else (Solo Mode) and hear it clearly this time around.

This may be very helpful in some kind of emergencies, but most importantly for investigators, if the comms reached the ATC ground station, incase blackbox and bufferbox are destroyed.

What is the FAA doing anyway.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Many of the new audio panels coming out, even for GA aircraft have an automatic clearance recorder built into them. I've installed a few of those, and playing back a radio transmission is as easy as pushing a button on the yoke.

To overcome the radio congestion problem, there's CPDLC, which is already being mandated for aircraft that want to fly in certain areas. Just finally got some exposure to it with a class I took for the Honeywell Primus 2000 system in the Falcon 900 aircraft. Pretty cool stuff.

Here's an article for anybody who wants to read a little bit about what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller%E2%80%93pilot_data_link_communications

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Many of the new audio panels coming out, even for GA aircraft have an automatic clearance recorder built into them. I've installed a few of those, and playing back a radio transmission is as easy as pushing a button on the yoke.

To overcome the radio congestion problem, there's CPDLC, which is already being mandated for aircraft that want to fly in certain areas. Just finally got some exposure to it with a class I took for the Honeywell Primus 2000 system in the Falcon 900 aircraft. Pretty cool stuff.

Here's an article for anybody who wants to read a little bit about what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller%E2%80%93pilot_data_link_communications

Many marine radios also have last message playback. I know I had a Cobra marine set with this feature maybe 8 years ago.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

there is no new VR tech “just around the corner”. if there was, everyone would be talking about it already.

if you are interested in VR, just pull the trigger and enjoy it. you can always sell it on ebay in two years when the new stuff comes out.

Foveated rendering is the most important development for VR performance and immersion.

Especially since it has already been announced, it would be a bad idea to buy a current gen display.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Foveated rendering is the most important development for VR performance and immersion.

Especially since it has already been announced, it would be a bad idea to buy a current gen display.

Unfortunately, they said the game developers need to code the game to use it. With that said, its going to be quite a long while until DCS can adapt it. So buying a current gen should be just fine.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Has anyone apart from HTC announced any headsets that support foveated rendering? In any case, the Vive Pro Eye is going to cost in excess of the Vive Pro when it is released later this year. Now, although I didn't mind paying £1299 for my Vive Pro kit, I doubt very much if many gamers will be OK with paying £1500(?) to play DCS.

Buying something like the Rift now for a few hundred seems like a no brainer, and as said before, sell it on eBay when something else better comes along.

Go for the now!

Unfortunately, they said the game developers need to code the game to use it. With that said, its going to be quite a long while until DCS can adapt it. So buying a current gen should be just fine.

Yeah, this was my logic when buying the Rift. I wanted something that was supported fairly well and had a good chance of working well out of the box, especially for my first VR. Yes, I could have gone for a VivePro or Oddesy+ but based on everything I read there seemed to more support for the Rift at this point in time. Plus my system is low end so pushing extra pixels seemed like a bad idea. I'll probably upgrade the rift at the end of the year if something seems like its worth it, currently the Oddesey+ seems to be best VR headset from a clarity/resolution/SDE standpoint which are the main things I'm looking for in DCS.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, this was my logic when buying the Rift. I wanted something that was supported fairly well and had a good chance of working well out of the box, especially for my first VR. Yes, I could have gone for a VivePro or Oddesy+ but based on everything I read there seemed to more support for the Rift at this point in time. Plus my system is low end so pushing extra pixels seemed like a bad idea. I'll probably upgrade the rift at the end of the year if something seems like its worth it, currently the Oddesey+ seems to be best VR headset from a clarity/resolution/SDE standpoint which are the main things I'm looking for in DCS.

All I can say is that I enjoyed my Rift when I had it, but the Vive Pro was definitely a step up in every way.

The price? Now that's another topic all together!

Yes , i am getting the Rift for same reasons .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Has anyone apart from HTC announced any headsets that support foveated rendering?

Pimax 5K+ and 8K will have an eye tracking modul already presented at the CES 2019 and also the XTAL Gaming Edition should have eye tracking (but no exact news on that). Besides that, I am pretty sure, that all next gen headsets will provide that technique.

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

All I can say is that I enjoyed my Rift when I had it, but the Vive Pro was definitely a step up in every way.

The price? Now that's another topic all together!

yeah, it you are just using DCS in VR, the Odyssey+ takes the cake over the Vive Pro / Odyssey. Other companies really need to adopt or come up with their own anti-SDE as there is just no going back after i switched.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Pimax 5K+ and 8K will have an eye tracking modul already presented at the CES 2019 and also the XTAL Gaming Edition should have eye tracking (but no exact news on that). Besides that, I am pretty sure, that all next gen headsets will provide that technique.

There are a number of horror stories going around in relation to the quality of the Pimax products atm. Personally I would avoid, I feel they are just trying to exploit the stage before the big boys come back with the next gen and wipe them out. Best avoided I think.

I am still hanging my hat on (and waiting) on Oculus.

Love my Rift as well as a lot of other VR games that have Touch support.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

yeah, it you are just using DCS in VR, the Odyssey+ takes the cake over the Vive Pro / Odyssey. Other companies really need to adopt or come up with their own anti-SDE as there is just no going back after i switched.

How would you say the clarity of the oddesy + is relative to other headsets you've used. I know they use a 1200ppi figure due to the way the "blend" the pixels to get rid of the SDE, but I'm wondering what that does to clarity/scene resolution. I'm debating getting one later this year depending on when I get a better computer that or a Pimax. Till then my Rift works well enough.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).