Left handed stick recomendation please

imk

With the current hype on Space-Sims, there are quite some good alternatives for lefties coming up. It depends a lot, though, on how much you want to spend:

https://virpil.com/en/shop/sticks/vpc-mongoost-50-lh-flightstick-vpc#vina-tab

AFAIK the grip also fits on the TM Warthog-Base:

https://virpil.com/en/shop/grips/vpc-mongoost-50-lh-grip-vpc

IIRC the Saitek Cyborg Flight Stick also was suited for lefties. I don't know, if it is still being produced, though.

oh man what a resurrect we made here lol

• Like 1

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

oh man what a resurrect we made here lol

True. A Frankenthread at it's finest. :D

I felt it worth a note, though, since the market for left-handed joysticks really changed a lot since then.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I've used Logitech extreme 3d and MS Sidewinder FFB2, regular righty versions with my left hand, for many many years. They really aren't all that uncomfortable. As a bonus, I can always have my right hand on the mouse, and use it to do clicky things, or to look around.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

DIY

I much prefer to fly with my left hand on the stick so decided to make my own HOTAS setup via mods.

I use a MSFFB2 stick with the grip changed for a CH flightstick pro grip ie neutral handed, to which I have added 2 extra 4 way hats. I use a Saitek throttle quadrant with homemade handles made from plastic pill containers into which I have mounted 3 5 way switches for use with the DCS A-10. All switches controlled via a Leo Bodnar card. I've also made a right hand collective which is great for Helicopters - love the Huey.

All works great and is much preferable to flying with my Right hand. Also adapting the controls has been very interesting to do.

silver

If someone is truly interested in flying then they should bite the bullet and learn to fly with their right hand. Military combat aircraft don't come with left hand sticks.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If someone is truly interested in flying then they should bite the bullet and learn to fly with their right hand. Military combat aircraft don't come with left hand sticks.

And civilian aircraft often don't come with right hand sticks. At least not for the man sitting on the left side.

You use what's available, in the end it's not much different.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You do realise that we are talking about simulated flying of simulated planes, for fun, and that most of us have absolutely no expectations of ever flying real military planes/helicopters? So why would you want to insist that we compromise our enjoyment and flying experience by using our non-dominant hand which feels wrong and awkward. Left handed people tend to have better developed visio-spatial ability which I am sure they/we would compromise if not using our natural dominant hand.

In order for my flying experience to be as realistic as I could make it, my priority was on the real dynamics of flight and control feedback so I decided that a force feedback system was an absolute priority and it adds a great deal to the experience of flying warbirds, GA planes and helicopters. You seem to have compromised your experience by missing out on one of the most fundamental aspects of flying but tell others to lessen the quality of their experience and enjoyment by conforming to a standard that is unnecessary in the simulated world.

While I agree it is much easier to buy a standard HOTAS to give fingertip control of military jets that is a limited view of flying and its experiences. If you are truly interested in flying try flying a P51 or a Huey with your Warthog setup and tell me that you are not losing out a great deal compared to a more realistic setup with force feedback.

Its all about suitability for your needs and priorities and the individual enjoying the experience as much as possible and for me that naturally involves flying with my left hand.

Edited by silvergh0st

"You have to learn flying right handed for realism" is a non-argument.

Yeah, sure, if I join some airforce anytime soon, I may consider switching my dominant hand for 30-odd years, but unless that happens I see no reason to ;).

Even IRL, most commercial aircraft with a side by side arrangement, one of the pilots have to fly left handed, the concept isn't all that strange :).

Unless someone flies with as many replica control setups as existing modules, you aren't mimicking the exact control setup realism anyway, and in that case, sacrificing the use of your more dextrous hand doesn't really contribute enough to realism to make up for loss of ability.

In a real aircraft, only option is to train your other hand, but here we have the choice, and trying to adapt the right hand just for the sake of pure "realism" is going to be a diminishing return at best.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

And civilian aircraft often don't come with right hand sticks. At least not for the man sitting on the left side.

You use what's available, in the end it's not much different.

This really, think about it this way your in a RH biased world. If you ever get the option to fly real world well that's the way it is. Biasedness is just how we approach the world. :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

but here we have the choice, and trying to adapt the right hand just for the sake of pure "realism" is going to be a diminishing return at best.

We don't though.

Want a Warhog, or X55/56? Or infact, any high end PC hardware?

You have to adapt.

I pretty much now only write+do very fine precision finger work with my left.

Mice, joysticks, guitar...etc, all used right handed.

Glad I put the effort in as well, as a whole massive market was opened up for me.

I'm another lefty who learned how to fly right handed when Thrustmaster hit the scene with the FCS and WCS Mk I. As others have said, you can find an ambidextrous stick, but good luck finding an ambidextrous throttle.

Anyway, it took me a couple of weeks to learn how to use a light touch with my right hand, and then I stopped thinking about it. Learning how to fly right handed also really helped in flight school (for obvious reasons). I don't think I could fly better left handed than I do now with my right.

I say bite the bullet and learn it. It pays off, and there's no long-term downside at all.

• 3 weeks later...
"You have to learn flying right handed for realism" is a non-argument.

Yeah, sure, if I join some airforce anytime soon, I may consider switching my dominant hand for 30-odd years, but unless that happens I see no reason to ;).

Even IRL, most commercial aircraft with a side by side arrangement, one of the pilots have to fly left handed, the concept isn't all that strange :).

Unless someone flies with as many replica control setups as existing modules, you aren't mimicking the exact control setup realism anyway, and in that case, sacrificing the use of your more dextrous hand doesn't really contribute enough to realism to make up for loss of ability.

In a real aircraft, only option is to train your other hand, but here we have the choice, and trying to adapt the right hand just for the sake of pure "realism" is going to be a diminishing return at best.

or as some would call it, lazy. this is a sim, do it right...

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

You do realise that we are talking about simulated flying of simulated planes, for fun, and that most of us have absolutely no expectations of ever flying real military planes/helicopters? So why would you want to insist that we compromise our enjoyment and flying experience by using our non-dominant hand which feels wrong and awkward. Left handed people tend to have better developed visio-spatial ability which I am sure they/we would compromise if not using our natural dominant hand.

In order for my flying experience to be as realistic as I could make it, my priority was on the real dynamics of flight and control feedback so I decided that a force feedback system was an absolute priority and it adds a great deal to the experience of flying warbirds, GA planes and helicopters. You seem to have compromised your experience by missing out on one of the most fundamental aspects of flying but tell others to lessen the quality of their experience and enjoyment by conforming to a standard that is unnecessary in the simulated world.

While I agree it is much easier to buy a standard HOTAS to give fingertip control of military jets that is a limited view of flying and its experiences. If you are truly interested in flying try flying a P51 or a Huey with your Warthog setup and tell me that you are not losing out a great deal compared to a more realistic setup with force feedback.

Its all about suitability for your needs and priorities and the individual enjoying the experience as much as possible and for me that naturally involves flying with my left hand.

Given your logic, you may as well just use the keyboard

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

True, but who flies in that position has nothing to do with which person is left hand dominant. It is far more likely, from a statistical perspective, that the person flying left handed is right hand dominant. So the norm is to learn to fly with your non-dominant hand when the situation arises.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes..virpil t50 has laft hand option ..russian su27 style stick

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Considering that only ten percent of the population is left handed, there is a good reason why no air force has ever developed a left handed aircraft.

Considering that only ten percent of the population is left handed, there is a good reason why no air force has ever developed a left handed aircraft.

Though that said, a higher percentage of lefties are aviators than represent the general population.

I remember reading in "Chickenhawk" where Robert Mason is a lefty and his instructor was telling him how screwed he was. After he made it through flight school, he went back to the instructor and asked him about the comment. The instructor laughed, then asked the room of instructors "who here is left handed?" and about half of the instructors raised their hands.

Though that said, a higher percentage of lefties are aviators than represent the general population.

While that might be true. One example, which might, or might not, be the result of a bit of artistic license, is little more than statistical noise without a much larger sample. One could just as easily say that the statistic only applies to Army aviators and be, apparently, equally correct.

25 percent of the early astronauts were lefties as well.

I don't have the statistics for the military or professional civil aviators, but if not common knowledge it is generally accepted that lefties are more representative in aviation when compared to the percentage in the general population. My theory is that being right brained helps with the spacial orientation and processing (being more visually oriented than numbers oriented). I know I could eyeball a bearing within a few degrees.

Of course, I was the exception: a leftie back-seater. I would be better served as a number cruncher, but such is life...

It's time to teach your right hand some new tricks!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 5 weeks later...

Most civilian airplanes use wheels or yokes, and the pilot flies with his left hand, right hand on the throttle(s). Co-pilots fly with their right hands on the yoke/wheel, left on the throttles. Cessna, Airbus, Boeing, Piper; you learn to fly with either hand - no big deal.

Most military jets and helicopters use a stick and you fly with the right hand, using the left on the throttle/collective.

B-29s had the reverse, throttles were outboard, so pilot had right hand on wheel, left on throttles; co-pilot reverse.

Many smaller side-by-side lightplanes have sticks and a central throttle, so again pilot in left seat has left hand on stick and right on throttle, pilot on right the reverse

Personally, IRL when I fly a plane with a wheel, I prefer to use my left hand on the wheel and control the throttle with my right hand. Planes and gliders with a stick, I much prefer stick in right hand and throttle/air brakes in the left.

So - no big deal. Real pilot do it from day one, and no-one thinks about it. Try a wheel instead of a stick if you are a serious lefty - with a throttle quadrant on the right. But it will look odd in a jet fighter or helo! And if DCS ever gets a P-38, the wheel is held in the right hand and the throttles are on the left!

Vulture