Printable map of current Caucasus map?

Stratos

I am so waiting to get a good 2.5 Caucasus vector map, as close as possible to the KA-50 ABRIS map (because it is so clear to read and easy to understand) as I am going to order a A0 size print from it with a plastic sheeting, that allows me to use a water-dilutable pen for drawing to it, to design missions on table/wall, and then translate it to the Mission Editor for digital purpose.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your wallet allows it, you'll be able to print my Caucasus map on a 2A0 sheet. I think it could even reach 4A0 once I'll smooth the vector polygons (sea/lakes, urban and vegetation areas).

I did the maths using a definition >250 dpi, which should be OK for such a map.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I've just discovered a Quantum GIS function that will greatly help me draw all those bridges! It creates points wherever lines from a layer cross lines from another layer. I still need to figure out how to rotate the bridge symbol accordingly to the road/railroad direction, though.

Talking about roads, I tought maybe I could use some scripting to get coordinates from AI vehicles roaming all over the Caucasus road network. That would spare me a lot of hand drawing... I'll see if that can be done.

Talking about roads, I tought maybe I could use some scripting to get coordinates from AI vehicles roaming all over the Caucasus road network. That would spare me a lot of hand drawing... I'll see if that can be done.

Hardcard did the trick. Thanks to him, I'm able to trace roads as fast as a MiG-25 chased by a pair of F-14!

roads.png

• 4 weeks later...

Here's November update. :smilewink:

CF-nov2018.jpg

I'm still working on tracing the roads thanks to my loyal Humvees and Hardcard's script. As you can see, the Russian network is almost complete. My goal is to map every single street, even though the actual version of CombatFlite cannot display streets (it cannot handle huge pictures yet).

Then I'll finish the river work, and start drawing all the bridges.

@Stratos....

I could not find a map for you. I thought it was an easy exercise to find a printable map on Georgia... Unfortunately I was wrong... There are hundreds of links to the state of Georgia, but not to the country of Georgia, and no quality links to maps of Georgia as a country, at least that was my experience.

I am on roaming, only have mobile at the moment. After 20 minutes I gave up.

My comment "google it" was not meant to be unkind at all. In fact I was trying to help.

No maps of the country Georgia, cause that's where all the missile silos are, including the abandoned ones....:smilewink:

Incredible work Flappie. Big fan here! I hope Viper39 will figure out a way to handle large pictures and big zoom levels for CF.
As CombatFlite already handles online map services like Google's and Bing's, the easiest and better way to do it would be to upload my vector map on one of those map services. This way, it could also be used for the BlueFlag Caucasus map, for instance.

I plan to do it as soon as my map is finished.

• 3 weeks later...
Incredible work Flappie. Big fan here! I hope Viper39 will figure out a way to handle large pictures and big zoom levels for CF.
Viper's just found a better way to display maps in CombatFlite. This means his software will soon get a larger version of my Caucasus map. :)

In the meantime, I'm still busy tracing the road network. Zugdidi, here I come!

• 1 month later...

Hi and happy new year. :)

Version 0.2 of my map in CF1.3 was a JPEG75 (25% compressed).

The MBtiles compatibility of CF1.4 allowed me to provide an uncompressed, larger version, with small adjustments. This is the current version 0.21

I need to complete the data layers in order to provide an even larger version. I'm currently finishing the road network. My Humvees did cross the whole land, but avoided many streets in the process (Mineralnye Vody, Cherkessk, Majkop, Krasnodar, Sukhumi... there are some pretty big cities in the Caucasus).

I'm now going back to those cities to trace every little street. This weekend, I was able to do the whole Tbilissi zone, Cherkessk, Mineralnye Vody and some other cities.

As soon as the road network is done, I'll give a new map to Viper. Then I'll finish the river network (65% done).

Edited by Flappie

Quick update: the Humvees trip has come to an end! :thumbup: Took them ~3 months. The roads are so precise now that I need to redo the railroad network I had previously hand-drawn. I need to tweak Hardcard's script to be able to automatically trace those railroad tracks. Once that is done, I'll update the CombatFlite version of the map.

Work in progress

Rivers : 65% (manual tracing)

Railroads : 0% (to be redone thanks to Hardcard's script)

What still has to be done

Bridges : 0%

Airbases : 0%

Beacons : 0% (lua file to be converted into GeoJSON) Elaborated MGRS grid : 0%

Elaborated geo grid : 0%

Polygon smoothing (vegetation, urban areas and sea/lakes) : 0 %

What's done

Elevation : 100% (as a raster - slightly different from the game's map)

Relief shadows : 100% (as a raster - slightly different from the game's map)

ISO lines : 100% (slightly different from the game's map)

Base MGRS grid : 100%

Base geo grid : 100%

Town names : 100 %

Power lines : 100 %

Sea, lakes and large rivers : 100 % (to be smoothed later on)

Vegetation : 100 % (to be smoothed later on)

Urban areas : 100 % (to be smoothed later on)

Roads : 100%

Well done ! I admire your courage and fortitude !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 3 weeks later...

@davidp57: Thank you. :)

The railroad work is in progress. Hardcard and I were unable to stop those stubborn trains at the end of their lines, thus forcing me to change my tracing procedure. I've also started the urban/vegetation/water polygons smoothing!

Only one thing is now stopping me from making even larger maps: the poor resolution of relief shades (made from SRTM elevation data). I need to find a way to vectorize those relief shades so they don't look ugly when one zooms in.

Work in progress

Railroads : 20% (very small segments are excluded for now)

Polygon smoothing (vegetation, urban areas and sea/lakes) : 50 %

Beacons : 0% (lua file to be converted into GeoJSON)

Elaborated MGRS grid : 0%

What's done

ISO lines : 100% (slightly different from the game's map)

Sea, lakes and large rivers : 100 %

Vegetation : 100 %

Urban areas : 100 %

Elaborated geo grid : 100%

Edited by Flappie

This is amazing work! I cant wait for the finish line!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

v0.3 incoming! :yes:

Changelog:

- Brand new roads

- Brand new railroads

- Smoothed polygons

- Fixed a few lakes and large rivers

- Small changes in stylesheet (isolines, power lines, geo grid, town names)

- Now a 1900dpi map (previously 1800)

fe96b6302ae57b1ebe96129fa0fa32de.md.png

Work in progress

Beacons : 0% (lua file to be converted into GeoJSON)

Elaborated MGRS grid : 0%

What's done

Isolines : 100% (slightly different from the game's map)

Sea, lakes and large rivers : 100 %

Vegetation : 100 %

Urban areas : 100 %

Elaborated geo grid : 100%

Railroads : 100%

Woohoo ! Well done Flappie, hang in there !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !