HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Seems like 1080 is a minimum for the reverb. Arstechnia mentions here you can use a 1070 card but resolution/effects automatically get down sampled.

"If you'd like to occasionally connect a high-res Reverb to a lower-than-recommended GPU, we think that's OK. Our use of a notebook-grade GTX 1070 worked in a range of popular games, but most of these automatically downgraded their resolution, anti-aliasing, or super-sampling settings. Some apps don't play as nicely, and trying to push "normal" settings in a visually rich game like Moss resulted in the kind of frame rate stutters that we wouldn't dream of recommending. But if that kind of lower-powered PC is your only option, we suggest more caution."

This je what HP said in its requirements for the headset: GTX 1080 minimum. :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

DCS 200% SS Textures High 47 FPS on a 1080 TI per MRTV

His rig

Asus Rog Strix Z370-F Gaming Mainboard

Intel Core i7 8700k Processor

32GB DDR4 Ram (G.Skill Ripjaws)

1 TB Samsung SSD NVMe

4TB Seagate HDD

Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Case

Seasonice 850W Focus Plus Power Supply

be quiet! Dark Rock 4 cooler

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

MRTV's reviewer using 200% SS got 47FPS average in DCS using a 1080ti/8700k. That's without knowing other settings (in game/etc), but that's encouraging IMO, on a 1080ti and before ED/DCS's upcoming VR optimization.

Sorry Naruto- posted same minute.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/a-tale-of-two-inside-out-vr-headsets-the-400-oculus-rift-s-600-hp-reverb/

Reverb has issues and is not for everyone. Think hard before purchasing.:thumbup:

Useless nerd review.

All new consumer headset switched from pentile Oled to RGB LCD screen, including the Valve Index. => better fill factor, reduced SDE.

He should get over it.

120Hz screen: I don't care. Very limited interest if FPS can't match refresh rate. It's scalable, but we pay for a feature of limited use.

Mura effect: ok, noted on WMR virtual desk. Not visible so far on through the lens shot (which are not full scale). Waiting for more in game review.

Contrary to what this review says, you can unscrew the earphone like on CV1.

Very limited return on in game experience here.

Comfort is very subjective. Other people blame the Rift S solid strap. Some like it. Dame for the Reverb...hard to tell before trying !

Price is the price. You won't get a 2x6000x3000p 144Hz RGB Oled display with foveal tracking and super sharp and uniform lens at 300$...

And mostly: I don't ate who the headset is marketed to if it's in my price range and fit my use. It isn't my concern, I'm sick to read it again and again...

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Useless nerd review.

All new consumer headset switched from pentile Oled to RGB LCD screen, including the Valve Index. => better fill factor, reduced SDE.

He should get over it.

120Hz screen: I don't care. Very limited interest if FPS can't match refresh rate. It's scalable, but we pay for a feature of limited use.

Mura effect: ok, noted on WMR virtual desk. Not visible so far on through the lens shot (which are not full scale). Waiting for more in game review.

Very limited return on in game experience here.

Comfort is very subjective. Other people blame the Rift S solid strap. Some like it. Dame for the Reverb...hard to tell before trying !

Price is the price. You won't get a 2x6000x3000p 144Hz RGB Oled display with foveal tracking and super sharp and uniform lens at 300$...

And mostly: I don't ate who the headset is marketed to if it's in my price range and fit my use. It isn't my concern, I'm sick to read it again and again...

MRTV said the mura is very apparent in single color views like the Steam cliffhouse and thought it was the doom of the HMD until he played games and its gone in games.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I don't quite believe him getting 47fps avg running 200% SS with that panel resolution. At least for me steamVR SS settings had no impact on DCS when using WMR devices. He was most likely running the default 1.0 PD, which means those results are at 100% SS in reality. Still, doesn't sound too bad, unless he is running some weird settings like he was on the first through the lens photos.

He mentioned lowest settings. I know he does honest reviews. I follow him from the start of his YouTube channel. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

The Reverb is definitely worth a try when it arrives on Amazon. With 30 day hassle free returns as an option, it`s a no brainer. I would like now for Acer to get the finger out and provide us with another high spec option to choose from. I think simmers can more or less bin the rest of the field of gen 1.5 HMD`s as of the Reverb`s release.

MRTV's reviewer using 200% SS got 47FPS average in DCS using a 1080ti/8700k. That's without knowing other settings (in game/etc), but that's encouraging IMO, on a 1080ti and before ED/DCS's upcoming VR optimization.

Sorry Naruto- posted same minute.

Well that's encouraging. I'm shocked at 200% SS and those frame rates thought. I wonder if he has trees and shadows on... And yeah this basically confirms if you have a high enough spec rig you in theory can run DCS today with a reverb.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

He mentioned lowest settings. I know he does honest reviews. I follow him from the start of his YouTube channel. :D

Good to know, perhaps we can prod him to post the actual settings for DCS. If its the VR standard ones I'm good with that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That same link was already posted in this thread yesterday, and if you read it carefully, you can see that the reviewer engages in a lot of "in this situation it would probably---" speculation on things he hasn't even tested. At various points throughout that article, he also appears to be confused about which of the two headsets he is writing about. For example, he mentions the "Reverb's flip-up functionality feels flimsy and bumps into your head". The Reverb does not have the halo-mounted flip-up feature, but the Rift S does.

He also claims that the headphones on the Reverb feel cheap and cannot be removed. Yet, he mentions the 3.5mm jack on the headset. What does he think HP put that jack there for? HP, and several reviewers that actually know what they're talking about, not only say that the phones are completely removable, they even show you how its done. Those other reviewers also comment on the surprisingly excellent sound quality of the built-in phones.

Was it all just typos and poor editing? Possibly. I must say though that its a little baffling to see that a few people have posted here saying that they have already written the Reverb off, based on that obviously erroneous review that seems like it was written by someone who didn't actually even have either headset in their hands.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Same link as previously (thanks) but integrated into forum. :thumbup:

Watched this one last night when it went live. I was really happy to see that he didn't forget us simmers in his testing. Looks like I made the right choice in placing my pre-order with Amazon yesterday. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I must say though that its a little baffling to see that a few people have posted here saying that they have already written the Reverb off, based on that obviously erroneous review that seems like it was written by someone who didn't actually even have either headset in their hands.

Speaking for myself, my comment about ‘keeping my Vive Pro a little longer’ was very much tongue-in-cheek!

Let’s see what DCS users have to say as well as some proper in-depth reviews.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Speaking for myself, my comment about ‘keeping my Vive Pro a little longer’ was very much tongue-in-cheek!

Let’s see what DCS users have to say as well as some proper in-depth reviews.

Yeah same here, I already have a Rift S coming and may get the Reverb as well, but want to see what actual users in here have to say about it.

If it is very positive I will get the Reverb for flight simming and use my Rift S for all my Oculus Touch games.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Being low maintenance has its benefits here. My only interest in VR is sim related so I really don't care about controllers/behind the head tracking, or super dark screens for horror games. The mura effect seems to be something of a non issue once you're immersed in the game of choice. Still, it's worth hanging back to see what the index is like.

A small pie is soon eaten

Same link as previously (thanks) but integrated into forum. :thumbup:

Top image, top sound, top confort .... If a had a better graphics card, that would be my choice.

I guess I'll upgrade in 1-2 years, if nothing better arises, I'll go with Reverb.

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-release-date-delay-slip-out-of-stock/

Seems HP has gone quiet on the subject of "when"...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yep Don. I am hunting longer then a week to get one. Mail, phonecall. Nothing yet. I am going for this one! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

OMG! Hope they fixed it soon! Or... it's gonna be another headset! :D