Portable full pneumatic G-Seat VR Pit

y905

Hello DCS Fans, i want to introduce my homebuilt portable full pneumatic G-Seat who was a perfect addition to the great jetseat from Andre. It works with around 20 bladders,

10 high power servos and seatbelt and hipbelt tensioner. I use simtools and ardunio to communicate with dcs (it works also with x-plane 11 and Aerofly FS2). The G-Seat

produces pitch, roll acceleration and decelereation with the bladers and tensioners. The bladers lift and pushes you around 5 cm. The immersion in non vr is great but in vr it

was simply amazing because you are more sensitive. I want to encourage you to built your own gseat if you want to built a vr homepit in the future. If someone is interested i

can make a video of the g-seat in action and can so better understand the construction. I will thank Andre and f4l0 for the great Jestseat and Software, @xxpelle's from

simtools forum for sharing his ideas and code, feel free to ask if you have questions, i am shure i can help you if you want build your own g-seat, hope you like the pit,

greetings Volker

IMG_20190125_120207.thumb.jpg.4301b7a0c8824814e0f2c4a2bd11e36b.jpg

IMG_20190125_120242.thumb.jpg.b54faf4544f2d2842be7cbc0900da169.jpg

IMG_20190125_120625.thumb.jpg.4321f7076b97348a6e762cb7a3389e54.jpg

IMG_20190125_120222.thumb.jpg.4a65e995ed63965e2acc0a264d1e20a0.jpg

IMG_20190125_120709.thumb.jpg.ca403bce0b652209bc4b8d36160a6e50.jpg

IMG_20190125_121016.thumb.jpg.ef36b170678a4892d825a198c7c46a69.jpg

Wow, outstanding! I love this home engineering stuff. nice work my man!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hello Uli, your a10 pit project looks awesome, hello javelina,icebeat and Vampireone, thank you very much, i will make a video at the weekend and when more people are interested i can make video tutorial from start to beginning with all the hardware,software, programming, materials and so on that evereybody can built one from scratch and use is with dcs,xplane or car simultions, elite dangeous .., i think i make a mistake in describing the bladers not only lift you 5 cm and stop instead i mean the maximum range for the lift or push are 5 cm, so when you pull the stick 15 degress it lift you for example about 1,5 cm when you press the stick for a stukka manouever the bladers go down 3 cm, its very accurate and thanks to simtools i can mix all input signals, for example i use one bladder in the back only for surge and mix a little pitch to it, the effect is when you pull the stick the bladders on the leg and butt lift you and the surge blader on the back give you another pressure, so the effect was amazig,

first Video is up

Hello, i finished my first video with technical explanation how the g-seat works, when i have time tomorrow i make a video where you can see the g-seat in action with dcs, if you have questions feel free to ask, greetings volker

Hello f4l0, it would be honour for me if you try it, i live near freiburg, maybe you plan a visit to the europapark in spring with your family and combine it with a visit, i send you a email this week,hello vampirone, i will start a building tutorial next weekend with material list and prices and so on, ist this ok?, hello Salsam, sadly its not cheap but my setup is the maxiumumn what you can drive with the software, i recommend to start with a basic setup and upgrade it later if you short of money, i lost a lot of money and time during the building process, buying the wrong hardware, killing servos and so on, i will guide you with the tuts soo you dont have do the mistakes i have done, ok now prices , for my setup without the basic chair and andres jetseat you must calculate bvetween 500-700 dollar (software included)s , the basic setup with for example only butt lift start art 200 dollar with software

videos

hi uli, thank you, i know the videos are not so good at the first glance but it show a lot of things, first its very hard to make avideo without cutting and editing and very time consumuing. for the simulator side it shows lot of interesting things, my wife never tried out dcs or flight sim before she only do me a favour, i put her in the hornet and dont realize while im filming that she fly 90 percent of the time in redout, so the simulator does what he should do, nothing, you can circle the stick or push and pull like crazy, redout is redout, basta, the g-seat shows another thing, its not arcade, its not connected to the joystick it usesonly to the telemetry data from the plane so it looks boring at the first look, the third short video with the big guy (me) show i know what im doing and the servos and bladders reacts with time lag between joystick movements and movements of the servos, like the real thing, and it shows better what the g-seat can do,

henei isch kei problemle (for uli only),

Greetings volker

Hello Volker.. Impressive setup.

So, if I understand it correctly, you have two sets of bladders: One under the jetseat to lift and lower the player and a set of "container bladders" which are pumped from the start and via the servos pump the air to the corresponding bladders under the seat? Do you then pump up the container bladders with the attached hand pumps first?

Would you mind sharing the specs of the servos and also where you got them? I found the bladders.. pretty cool idea...

The servos seem to be somewhat noisy, but I guess once you have a headset on it does not matter. I could imagine a combination of building a ACES seat where the bladders, tubing and wiring is hidden and the servos enclosed would make for a very VERY cool setup and also tone down the servo noise somewhat.

Edited by VampireOne

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

Hello Vamipreone, yes you understand it correctly, we have two kinds of bladders, the "producer bladders" with the servos and the "container bladders", you need the handpump only once because its a closed system, maybe you lost a little bit air from time to time like a car tire then you can "fill" it up again, i try to explain it with examples, i have 12 (6x2) producer bladders, and 7 container bladders, 4x for leglift and butt lift, 3 for pushing roll left,right and middle for pitch,accerlation,i filled up the producer and container bladders for the leg and buttlift each with 50% of maxiimum (so the bladders can have between 0 and 100 fill), the bladders maximum lift range is 5 cm, i caliibrated the start position of the servos so the hold the position when you start, now we start on the runway with 0 percent pitch, you was lifted by the seat 2,5 cm (because filled with 50% ), now we have a 2,5 cm range to lift and dive, you start with for example 20 percent pitch then the seat lift you another 2 cm, then you go to straight flight with 0 percent pitch then the seat goes back to the 2,5 cm height. the same princip in dive when you push the stick, the back bladders are easier to understand, if you roll for example to left with 20 degrees then the right bladder pushes you 2 cm or better with 2 cm pressure feeling (max you know now 5 cm), to make it a little bit more confusing :-) thanks to the ardunio code and the simtools you can mix all and change the range to make the feeling more aggressive or smoother, it sounds a little bit confusing but in reality its very simple, yes sure i tell you everything, i would make a list and where buy at the weekend, if its urgent i look today after the work for the servo specs and where to best buy, now comes the noise, not every servo is the same quailty build, i have 8 big ones, 5 of them are very quiet and 3 of them makes a lot of them, for noise cancelling you have 3 options, first headset, second you can dissamble the noisy servos and grease it, third you can make a housing, yes the idea of using a aces replica with hidden servos wiring and tubing are great, i wish i have the space for a stationary rig, some people may ask why in hell this guy build this thing and are not able to do a accurate wiring,k tubing and housing, the answer is easy, my seat is not only portable it can be folded to use less space, greetins volker

Hello Volker

Yes what you told me is what I have been able to “spy” from your videos. ;)

Have also found the servos and the bladders online. So no need to go hunting for the specs.

Many years ago (1988) I worked briefly at an operational F16 simulator and this sim was equipped with a similar setup as it was a fixed base sim.

I am trying to evaluate your setup versus a 3DOF motion cueing system when used with VR. True Gs can not be simulated on our budget (and thank god for that. More than 7 g REALLY is uncomfortable. Believe me. I have had more than 9)

But what it will do is to allow us to fly literally by the seat of our pants.

And thanks to “Tüftlers“ like you it will me accessible to the masses, like me. Thank you for the hard work.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

Hello Vampirone, thank you for the kind words, wow 9 g are very impressive, i know g and also take a lot 35 years ago, but not from flying i, was a very good gymnastic at this time and remember very good the g-forces, oh yes the simulators from the army were intersting things, i have the chance to try out the phantom simulator a lot, but i think the f16 simulator was a lot more impressive, have you wishes for the next video? please be careful before you buy a motion sim rig, they are great but if you want to use it in vr you must solve a lot of problems, the software who help you with the tracking problems is not so good what i have read, and motion sickness can become a serious problem in vr, i can also show you how you can easy upgrade my seat with 2 dof, i have all the equipment installed and tested for additional 2 dof in the past but i stopped it very fast after the first test flight, not only motion sickness also the changing cockpit perspectives makes me sick for a whole day

@y905 - If you ever plan on making a product out of this that includes everything needed, I would certainly buy it. Are there plans for that?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com