JESTER AI

grunf

I have to say I'm kinda suprised how few responses there are in this thread. I think the development of JESTER is almost revolutionary for DCS and yet almost no one seems to care. :huh:

well. in my case, i dont really care. seems something awesome but not anything im planning to use. I have 0 interest to fly with a computer crew. perhaps this jester AI got me after trying it. since then... no reason to be alarmed :)

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

I have to say I'm kinda suprised how few responses there are in this thread. I think the development of JESTER is almost revolutionary for DCS and yet almost no one seems to care. :huh:

Well, count me in on the people who think this is will be paradigm shifting :D

• Like 1

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Would be nice if you could pre program Jester with a default sort and shot range so I dont have to mess with him on the way in. Maybe have a couple of pre-program SOP runs so I can just hit a hot key for Left side or right and Fighter or Bomber target. Then in 2 button presses a lot of it is done and can concentrate on my wingman and the attack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Very excited for this and it is next level certainly if all comes together as hoped. I think more discussion will be possible once more information is available. Currently we only have many questions it seems and only until more info is made available or a Q&A on the topic with HB all we can offer is reactions to the post. Looking forward to it for sure.

I will say this, PLEASE HB Team, PLEASE, include Pilot and RIO character models with the release. Do not leave us with empty seats as so many others have. It does make a difference for immersion. And this module I feel really warrants them to be included. As always, fingers crossed.

Well, count me in on the people who think this is will be paradigm shifting :D

Count me in too, Jester is among the features I'm most looking forward to. Hopefully one day Jester, or something similar, will be present in all multicrew planes, and AI wingmen.

The look length will be realistic.

Most of the switch flipping the RIO will be doing will be radar related, and that involves a lot of knob tweaking and staring into the DDD and TID.

Great, thanks Cobra. Probably just the way it was worded - noting that if the RIO is staring into the DDD/TID you shouldn't be in a WVR/dogfight situation that requires constant lookout anyway.

TBH, my first reaction to seeing the FB post recently was Woah, wait - they are just starting Jester now? I sort of assumed HB would have the Jester AI pretty much nailed down and proven to work well before even starting the rest of an F-14 module. Also made me think hmm not releasing any time soon then.

Of course people are excited about the idea of the Jester AI - but I think it is a case of wait and see..

Would be nice if you could pre program Jester with a default sort and shot range so I dont have to mess with him on the way in. Maybe have a couple of pre-program SOP runs so I can just hit a hot key for Left side or right and Fighter or Bomber target. Then in 2 button presses a lot of it is done and can concentrate on my wingman and the attack.

Agree - generally stuff is done in accordance with the squadrons SOP's and Tactics & Procedures manuals, and as such there are certain things you should be doing at certain times or in specific situations. I guess a bit of flexibility would be useful - hopefully it is not too hard to transfer over the commands to a Voice Attack profile.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TBH, my first reaction to seeing the FB post recently was Woah, wait - they are just starting Jester now? I sort of assumed HB would have the Jester AI pretty much nailed down and proven to work well before even starting the rest of an F-14 module.

but why? we are talking about simulation of an F-14 not simulation of a person.

I never tought developers would develop this kind of AI for anything. i mean, if you want to simulate a 2 person aircraft... you should need 2 persons to do it. :noexpression:

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

Well, how could a AI F-14 RIO be proven to work well ... without a F-14?

Well, am pretty sure you don't specifically need an F-14 to develop an AI backseater - I do believe the backseater of say the L-39 would still look around, acquire targets, actuate controls, respond to pilot requests etc etc. Yes the specifics of the F-14 controls would need to come later. Perhaps you misunderstood my statement?

I never tought developers would develop this kind of AI for anything. i mean, if you want to simulate a 2 person aircraft... you should need 2 persons to do it. :noexpression:

I don't even know what to make of that statement? Not sure what you are trying to say relating to my comment.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, am pretty sure you don't specifically need an F-14 to develop an AI backseater - I do believe the backseater of say the L-39 would still look around, acquire targets, actuate controls, respond to pilot requests etc etc. Yes the specifics of the F-14 controls would need to come later. Perhaps you misunderstood my statement?

No, I understood you correctly, I think. But I am pretty sure that the RIO will be very tightly integrated into the F-14. A F-14 RIO would be pretty useless in a L-39 as the fighting in both aircraft would be very different. The "radar" part in RIO is the keyword here...

Yes, looking outside the cockpit could be applied to both aircraft, but that probably makes "only" half of the capabilities of what the AI RIO is supposed to have.

A RIO is not a GNS430 ... ;-) Instead the AI RIO is just another component in the F-14 cockpit as any other avionics device or sensor.

Edited by Flagrum

We are talking about new AI technology, not moving the F-14 RIO into a Tigermooth.

If the technology involved in Jester AI could benefit other multicrew modules with the needed changes why should not be used?

Except everybody are very happy with how things work right now with the AI system we have to talk about.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Ok tbh I think we need to have some realistic expectations, if you take the example of a 2v2 visual merge, the pilot takes the radar and uses it to try and get an earlier shot on his target meanwhile the Rio is monitoring the second fight and will warn you if you are threatened or if you may have a shot opportunity into the other fight. This is what a real Rio does as the second fight comes into view he will tell the target is the high guy coming into view, I have even known a really good one grab u a lock as the second fight come to the nose for a fox 1 while you still fight. Anyway a Rio is a busy chap and programming it would be a nightmare personally I am happy with some Jester SOPs, but if you think it is a simple programing job dream on.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

That would seriously limit the number of potential customers for all 2 seat aircraft modules. Not everyone lives in areas that have good enough internet connectivity to fly multiplayer and there are people who don't want to fly multiplayer at all.

Some kind of AI is needed for the back seat, especially with the F-14 having the radar back there, for those who play single player.

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

No worries everyone. :) I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion once you actually use JESTER. To be quite frank and blunt; in the beginning, JESTER will probably be pretty dumb. We are laying the foundation for something that will play an integral part in many of our future modules.

Like a Tornado for example :music_whistling:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, how could a AI F-14 RIO be proven to work well ... without a F-14?

This is probably correct. The F14 needs to come first.

Any kind of backseat operator needs to have a fully functional cockpit before it can operate it properly. Whether real or artificial, it doesn't matter.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Going slightly off topic here HB but is there a chance the pilot models from an external viewpoint may be animated, as in they perform random head movements that will possibly coincide with the jester A.I movement. A bit like we see in some other simulations. A little less static?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I up the ante, what about a B-17G with 10 Jesters :D

Regards!

I'll see you're B-17G and raise you a B-36 Peacemaker with 15 Jesters. :thumbup:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

JESTER is one of the last pieces to be done for the F-14. Make no mistake, it will be very rudimentary (in terms of the total amount of available routines and total effectiveness) in the beginning. The idea is to have a solid foundation upon which we can expand and make it a very realistic and great flying companion.

Building a good AI takes a lot of time, and we'd rather release the F-14 with a Jester that can handle basic functionality and make you modestly combat effective. However, don't expect it to be anywhere near its' final form at that stage.

We'll go into more detail on this as we begin to form a solid idea of exactly how EA will look feature-wise. Right now we're still developing.

2018 will be a year of product improvement at Heatblur, as we will be focusing almost exclusively on the Viggen and Tomcat until both are perfect and content rich. Jester will be a big part of that roadmap.

Hope that clarifies a little! Hopefully we can do a JESTER video in the next few months.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thanks Cobra good info, I would take it now without Jester . Thanks for the update. A few months hmmm shouldnt we be using him by then

GTX 1080 Has its uses

JESTER is one of the last pieces to be done for the F-14. Make no mistake, it will be very rudimentary (in terms of the total amount of available routines and total effectiveness) in the beginning. The idea is to have a solid foundation upon which we can expand and make it a very realistic and great flying companion.

Building a good AI takes a lot of time, and we'd rather release the F-14 with a Jester that can handle basic functionality and make you modestly combat effective. However, don't expect it to be anywhere near its' final form at that stage.

We'll go into more detail on this as we begin to form a solid idea of exactly how EA will look feature-wise. Right now we're still developing.

2018 will be a year of product improvement at Heatblur, as we will be focusing almost exclusively on the Viggen and Tomcat until both are perfect and content rich. Jester will be a big part of that roadmap.

Hope that clarifies a little! Hopefully we can do a JESTER video in the next few months.

Thanks Cobra!

If you had to spitball estimate..just how much left is there to do with the Tomcat? I mean, that you're comfortable revealing..