Airbase Defence Mission?

imacken

Anyone know what you have to do to succeed in this mission?

Basically, I take off, get AWACS messages, head to the 2 x SU-27s and between myself and the wingman sometimes down them.

After that, the AWACS messages seem to relate to distant (>120 miles away) groups, and I end up returning to base.

Not sure what else to do here.

Any help?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

How funny, I just tried this mission for the first time last night and had a different experience (but also failed).

I used BOGEY DOPE to close on the nearest contacts, climbing towards them in maximum AB. However, AWACS didn't mention their closing speeds, so only once I was near them was it apparent they were Su-24s in full AB at 25 or 30,000 ft. They blew past us, dropped bombs on our airfield and continued away in AB, untouchable by our F-5es in rear pursuit with AIM-9s. I figured we were unlucky with the leading aircraft being Su-24s, so I turn towards the next contact. AWACS is not giving me their type, heading or speed, making it difficult to know how to position properly for an intercept. Once again, my wingman and I are caught out of position as another pair of Su-24s rocket past at maximum speed. By this point, we're getting low on gas and haven't intercepted anyone effectively. I quit the mission and decide to try again this weekend, now that I know the challenge here. I never saw any Su-27s.

Any tips on how to intercept in F-5s when the enemy is supersonic, yet AWACS is only giving current position? It seems that we need to be in exactly the right place at the right time to get AIM-9 shots off, given we're dealing with multiple waves of speedy Su-24s.

How funny, I just tried this mission for the first time last night and had a different experience (but also failed).

I used BOGEY DOPE to close on the nearest contacts, climbing towards them in maximum AB. However, AWACS didn't mention their closing speeds, so only once I was near them was it apparent they were Su-24s in full AB at 25 or 30,000 ft. They blew past us, dropped bombs on our airfield and continued away in AB, untouchable by our F-5es in rear pursuit with AIM-9s. I figured we were unlucky with the leading aircraft being Su-24s, so I turn towards the next contact. AWACS is not giving me their type, heading or speed, making it difficult to know how to position properly for an intercept. Once again, my wingman and I are caught out of position as another pair of Su-24s rocket past at maximum speed. By this point, we're getting low on gas and haven't intercepted anyone effectively. I quit the mission and decide to try again this weekend, now that I know the challenge here. I never saw any Su-27s.

Any tips on how to intercept in F-5s when the enemy is supersonic, yet AWACS is only giving current position? It seems that we need to be in exactly the right place at the right time to get AIM-9 shots off, given we're dealing with multiple waves of speedy Su-24s.

I’ve always felt this a a huge downfall of the awacs reporting. We need some kind of intercept scripting where a certain target can be tracked with updates and info like what you are asking for. Position by itself is very little help in a high speed intercept when you need to know speed and direction not only of the bogey but that you should take to get to them in the best way possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, there was a typo in my post. They are SU-24s not 27s as I previously said.

In general, I have the exact same experience as you. Occasionally, the wingman goes off and shoots them down, and once I think I was in the right place at the right time!

The SU-24s just drop their bombs and then disappear into the AB heavens. Impossible to catch.

After that, nothing. Occasional messages about remote groups, and that is all.

Is this mission all about those 2 SU-24s? I don't think so, as I'm pretty sure I have returned to base with both of them down, but I can't be sure.

Has anyone completed this mission?

How can I contact Belsimtek? They don't seem to have any contact email or support on their web site.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry, there was a typo in my post. They are SU-24s not 27s as I previously said.

In general, I have the exact same experience as you. Occasionally, the wingman goes off and shoots them down, and once I think I was in the right place at the right time!

The SU-24s just drop their bombs and then disappear into the AB heavens. Impossible to catch.

After that, nothing. Occasional messages about remote groups, and that is all.

Is this mission all about those 2 SU-24s? I don't think so, as I'm pretty sure I have returned to base with both of them down, but I can't be sure.

Has anyone completed this mission?

How can I contact Belsimtek? They don't seem to have any contact email or support on their web site.

Open the mission in the mission editor and look at the path of the aircraft. If they go over the airfield then yes

Imacken -

I completed the Airbase Defense mission on my 5th try tonight. Here's what worked for me:

* Head-on launch using AIM-9P5s at lead Su-24. First one missed, 2nd one hit.

* Order wingman to Engage Bandits after first one is going down, he's bringing up rear and downed the 2nd Su-24 before it could release.

* I then orbited and checked Wizard (AWACS), and was told of another group coming in ~290, 28 miles "hot"

* Max AB in that direction, spotted two more Su-24s coming in fast. Being down to guns I fired in a pass forcing lead to break, I then maneuvered for guns kill.

* Meanwhile my wingman was engaging the leaker in a circle fight, firing ineffectually (since he was also out of AIM-9s)

* I turned and cut the corner, entered his engagement and shot down the 4th Su-24.

* Received congratulations message saying the airbase was successfully defended, time to RTB.

* Final score 210, Mission 100.

So it can be done, and seems to require downing only 4 x Su-24s.

Imacken -

I completed the Airbase Defense mission on my 5th try tonight. Here's what worked for me:

* Head-on launch using AIM-9P5s at lead Su-24. First one missed, 2nd one hit.

* Order wingman to Engage Bandits after first one is going down, he's bringing up rear and downed the 2nd Su-24 before it could release.

* I then orbited and checked Wizard (AWACS), and was told of another group coming in ~290, 28 miles "hot"

* Max AB in that direction, spotted two more Su-24s coming in fast. Being down to guns I fired in a pass forcing lead to break, I then maneuvered for guns kill.

* Meanwhile my wingman was engaging the leaker in a circle fight, firing ineffectually (since he was also out of AIM-9s)

* I turned and cut the corner, entered his engagement and shot down the 4th Su-24.

* Received congratulations message saying the airbase was successfully defended, time to RTB.

* Final score 210, Mission 100.

So it can be done, and seems to require downing only 4 x Su-24s.

Excellent! Well done! Now we know. I’ll give it a try later.

Have you tried the other missions yet? One of them, can’t remember which, is not possible in 2.5 because of the night lighting bug, but they look interesting. However, again, it is not clear what the victory conditions are.

So, I managed to down the first group OK, but then nothing from AWACS about another nearby group.

I circle around, get a RTB message and then nothing happens. Even if I re-arm and go back up, nothing happens.

Hmmm...

Strange. There seems to be some trigger that's not firing. I did receive the RTB message previously, but only when one of the Su-24s was able to drop on my base. I still shot them down, but it seems that you have to prevent any damage whatsoever. If you shot both Su-24s down before they could even release, not sure how to explain it.

As for other missions, I experienced the same issue with the bugged night mission, but that was a user-created mission. One of the standout experiences I've had so far is the "Hercules" mission that comes with the module. Definitely give that a go.

I've PM'd Belsimtek about the victory conditions, so we'll see if I get a reply.

Yes, I tried the Hercules mission a few days ago. Really great! I'm going back to it very soon!

Any ideas on the victory conditions there?

Edit: by the way, it’s not the night mission that’s bugged, it’s DCS 2.5. The issue has been widely reported in these forums.

Edited by imacken

So I was lucky and beat the Hercules mission on the first try, but it was pretty stressful. The victory conditions are straightforwards: find the Turkish C-130 and shoot it down. I'll give a hint that the AWACS call that seems to point you towards 345 degrees is confusing. It's not referring to relative bearing from your plane, but instead to the C-130s heading. I thought it didn't sound right and ended up searching someplace else and found the Herk. I'll let you discover that for yourself :).

Sorry, when I said I'd tried that, I was mistaken. That was the one I can't even start! Pitch black, and floundering around with the flashlight, I can manage to get the engines started.

However, when I switch on the taxi lights, they go off whenever I move forward and only come back on when I cut the throttle completely. No idea where I am going as I don't show up on the F10 map and F2 external view must be disabled somehow.

So, I gave up on that, loaded the mission into ME, changed the start time to 0855 rather than 0455, took off got up to 30,000 feet and then nothing.

I guess the Herc has some sort of trigger relating to the original start time. I don't know how to view this or edit that stuff in ME.

So, this one is a total non-starter for me. How did you manage it?

I'm playing in VR (HTC Vive), so I was able to do much of the initial startup by feel. I know where the buttons are to get the left engine started, and once it's up and running, you can turn on internal lighting and finish the rest.

As for the landing light, I've noticed the same thing in multiple missions. Seems to be a bug with the F-5E module. The landing light cuts out during throttle transitions. I was able to taxi to the runway using the blue taxiway lighting and occasionally slowing to idle.

Once you're up and running, it's a cool mission. Definitely keep at it.

Nope, can't get it to work.

I'm literally flying in the dark. I've noticed that VR players don't seem to suffer the 'night bug'. See attached - me at 30,000 ft. Flying purely by instrument!

Issues are:

- taxi lights don't work at all sometimes, and at others go off with any throttle movement

- F10 map comes up, but my plane is not shown, which makes it impossible to see whether I'm near the restricted border

- F2 external view doesn't work

- can't get TACAN info from 31X

- impossible to know what setting TACAN and radio are on. Dial doesn't seem to move in usual way.

Various other issues. I think I'll try the ME route again to alter the start time to 0800.

Nope, can't get it to work.

I'm literally flying in the dark. I've noticed that VR players don't seem to suffer the 'night bug'. See attached - me at 30,000 ft. Flying purely by instrument!

I use a conventional monitor and track IR on 2.5, your screenshot looks just like mine does in mission -- you are heading straight out to sea before dawn, it is going to be dark. It would be much safer in this case to stay on instruments like you are doing anyway, night VFR over water has claimed more than a few digital (and RL pilots) due to the lack of a discernible horizon.

- taxi lights don't work at all sometimes, and at others go off with any throttle movement

This bug is reported, once Belsimtek gets their portion of the F18 done they will start paring down the F5 bugs again. A little throttle manipulation and you can find your way to 27.

The 476th has been gracious enough to release their pubs here. You start on the southwest ramp. If you don't want to taxi full length you have plenty of runway remaining at D intersection if you use the default load.

- F10 map comes up, but my plane is not shown, which makes it impossible to see whether I'm near the restricted border

- F2 external view doesn't work

The mission creator can lock out these options and override your settings. (F10 own ship and F2 external views). Lots of multiplayer servers (including recently ACG Cold War) do this. Once you figure out your TACAN issues you won't need the F10 map anyway.

- can't get TACAN info from 31X

- impossible to know what setting TACAN and radio are on. Dial doesn't seem to move in usual way.

TACAN is working fine in T/R on this end. In your screenshot something might be set wrong, I would guess the mode switch, as your DME and TO/FROM indicator are flagged on the HSI. Can you hear the Morse identifier?

Starting from the beginning, if you don't have things needed to start the engines mapped I would just ask for ground power- once the power cart is plugged in you will have access to all the cockpit lighting to help you find your switches.

Once airborne just fly the profile provided in the briefing-- 250 radial outbound at FL300. The briefing depicts this out to the 130 DME but you shouldn't make it that far. Wizard will start to call out the target for you, you get a message advising not to use radar but it won't hurt anything if you do and frankly could be quite difficult without it. You don't need the F10 map to stay inside the "border," just don't cross north of the 280 radial (again as depicted on the briefing chart) and you'll be fine. It has been since probably the first week of early release on the F5 since I last tried this mission but I believe if the Herc makes it much north of that radial you fail anyway, although I might be wrong on that. Once you have taken care of the C130 intercept the 280 inbound and head home, they have this depicted on the brief too- I believe around the 30 DME you move over to the 268 radial and take it until you contact the tower, they will clear you for a visual back to 27.

Like Istari said, it is a good mission, well crafted and makes you work on your instrument scan a bit...

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Thanks a lot for that.

I changed the start time to 0655 in ME, and the mission played out OK but I could actually see something!

I managed to see the Herc on the radar, just followed it, let a missile go and boom! It was down!

Tried to get back to base, just managed to land with the fuel I had left, but then... BOOM! I was hit by a Mig missile when on the runway!!!

I'll give it another go later.

Gotcha. Even on 1.5 the mission was dark, it is supposed to be basically an instrument intercept, but whatever works for you.

Thanks a lot for that.

Tried to get back to base, just managed to land with the fuel I had left...

Where did all your gas go? You have three 150gal bags on, as I recall I barely got into my internal fuel.

Multiplayer as Variable

Where did all your gas go? You have three 150gal bags on, as I recall I barely got into my internal fuel.

Too much AB I guess on the outward journey.

I made it back, but that Mig???? I could have screamed, no, in fact, I did scream!

I could have screamed, no, in fact, I did scream!

Been there, done that haha. You might want to check your pylon switches to make sure you are drawing out of your drop tanks, even in your screenshot above you are well into your internal fuel already, that means you burned far in excess of 450 gallons to reach FL300. Something seems off there.

Multiplayer as Variable

Thanks Tom, the screenshot was from a test really. I wasn't using the external tanks.

Ok, so I'm happy with that mission now. I set the start time to 30 mins later than default so I could just see some daylight. Downed the Herc, landed back at base and got 100 points ok.

Good mission, but there are a couple of weird calls from AWACS as mentioned by Istari6 that have to be ignored. There is one about the target and one about the RTB heading (around 289 I think) which are confusing.

Now, it could make sense the RTB heading if that was a radial from the base. Not quite sure how one is supposed to know that.

Also, a side point, if F2 is disabled and there is nothing in the briefing notes, how are you supposed to know what external fuel tanks you are carrying?

Yes, this ended up being one of my favorite missions because it really forced me to stretch with the skills I'd learned flying the F-5E. I'd never flown a night intercept, never flown without F2 or F10, etc. Was great fun to solve those problems on the fly using what I already knew about the jet. For example, I smiled when I remembered there was a light switch on the backup manual compass. I'd read that in the manual, but never used it. Sure enough, reached over and flipped it on to cross-check my instrument scan as I headed over the Black Sea.

Anyway, I had the same questions about the tanks when I started. Without F2, how do I know what I'm carrying? I could look behind me and see the underwing tanks, but was I carrying a centerline "bag" as well? Then on my climb, I realized I could simply try switching on the centerline tank in isolation. Sure enough, I immediately received an EXT TANK EMPTY caution light, so I assumed I wasn't carrying a centerline tank at all.

As for the Hercules, I'd assumed that the caution about using radar might be tied into the victory conditions. So I was flying about trying to spot it visually, very difficult with a grey-painted C-130 with just the hint of dawn light. I was lucky and spotted it passing over me, closed in and shot it down and AB home before "other things" could happen. Trying to avoid spoilers here for anyone who hasn't played it yet.

Yes, it is fun. However, it seems crazy that we have to work out ways of checking the payload. I mean, obviously, in real life you would know what you were carrying before you entered the plane!

What about the confusing bearing references from AWACS I mentioned? Do you reckon they are radials from base rather than your plane?

Also, radar on doesn’t affect victory conditions. I scored 100 with it on.

Check your playload in the mission planner before the mission starts

Thanks but, I can't see anything about payload in Mission Planner. Any help on that?