Rudder pedals recommendation/advice

And since that time only the "cessna" style pedals are being made, the combat style pedals are discontinued unfortunately.

In true even "Cessna" style pedals was discontinued by Logitech, remaining only the old PRO pedals - Saitek first model, in production.

Saitek Combat (discontinued): https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Scb432020002-02-Flight-Combat/dp/B00YBSX82O

Saitek Cessna (discontinued): https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight-Cessna-CES432070002-02/dp/B0058FADEA

Saitek PRO (old but receive "upgrade" in price :) ): https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B000H67DDY

To be fair they are the same pedal (base and electronics), only differ in foot rest.

Edited by Sokol1_br

They are the same but the combat pedal design was more suitable to what, most of us, are using them for.

Btw, I have a set that I am willing to sell but shipping cost will not be pretty.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I have both an old set of Ch pedals and a relatively new set of the TM TFRP. After using both sets, I have gone back to CH. Just better control and feel.

And based on this I bought the CH Pro pedals. Thank you sobe :)

...I also bought the Warthog :thumbup:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

Phil73805

when you get the CH pedals, let me know and I will give you some tips on using them. BTW, you do not need the CH manager to get them to work.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Phil73805

when you get the CH pedals, let me know and I will give you some tips on using them. BTW, you do not need the CH manager to get them to work.

I've got 'em. :)

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

Phil73805

We can talk on TS 199.0.207.222 when you have a chance. I am on the west coast of the USA Pst.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Phil73805

We can talk on TS 199.0.207.222 when you have a chance. I am on the west coast of the USA Pst.

Will do. I have to say that so far I'm loving the pedals! They work brilliantly! I laugh in the face of crosswind landings and pour ice cubes down the vest of...other things.

Semi philosophical post. I'm regretting so hard throwing away my Thrustmaster RCS (and FCS) three years ago. If you have them and want rid of them, for the love of <insert deity of your choice> sell them on eBay instead of throwing them away.

zMrCJNJ.jpg

(not my pic, stole and rehosted it)

In my 'defense', I bought them 1996 and used them to 2001, but haven't played any games since. No computer had had a 15 pin gameport for 15 years, they took up space and I was tired of glitchy potentiometers. I figured if the mood came on, I would just get new and better gear. The spring had broken twice but I preferred no spring, no artificial 'wind pressure' by then. Now my decision hurts in the soul for the unnecessary waste.

Now, after researching, I've realized how very limited of quality products the market for this kind of stuff is. I realized how good (wide and sturdy) the RCS frame aluminum was/is. Almost every new pedal set on offer is narrow (which I hate) and done with cheap plastic components and still quite expensive. Noticing the quality of the RCS frame prevented me from throwing them away earlier but having no interest in gaming and having done no research I labored under the misconception I would have to make my own gameport-to-USB-adapter and make my own Hall-effect-modification, not realizing there was ready made gameport and Hall effect mods available already in the early 2000's.

Do I feel better stumbling across a two year old ad selling an RCS for just 30 dollar? Not really, today on eBay they go for between 50-200 dollar + shipping and fees.

If I hadn't decided to go upscale I would have gotten an old Thrustmaster RCS from eBay, gotten an gameport to USB adapter (Rockfire RM-203U, good link for someone needing this, read all of it) and tried to find an Hall effect mod (they existed). I would've bought TM RCS rudders off eBay with broken springs, cosmetic flaws and crappy potentiometer just to get the frame before buying anything new of the shelf (my plan until yesterday).

If I don't want narrow pedals and don't want crappy mechanisms there's not a lot to choose from.

"Thrustmaster TPR: Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder" are probably very good but butt ugly and hideously expensive. But those are the only new Thrustmaster pedals I would consider. Thrustmaster TFRP or Thrustmaster Elite, to narrow, to plastic.

Slaw Device pedals, beautiful, very solid all metal design (overly complicated?) but very expensive and difficult to buy, similar with Baur (BRD?). Without having tried them, I don't like the idea of the VKB-Sim mechanism and since I'm going upscale I want the full monty, toebrakes.

I think I'm going with MFG Crosswind. I gained the impression of a thorough design process (creator debugged them for years and made them very adjustable) and not as expensive as Thrustmaster TPR or Slaw pedals.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

The only good thing I can say about RCS is their look, frame are flimsy, their low weight and strong spring make slip around in floor, spring system is bad - what make centralization less than ideal, use a not so good pot, and (for many the most important feature in rudder pedals) don't have ... brakes. :D

I have one in what install an new pot and an DIY USB controller (cost ~$15), but don't use anymore.

Well I have and used all three extensively and the Saiteks remain on my main rig (with many years of use), so its no joke. The crosswinds are fine too IMO but the extra money wont help you fly any better. I have two full flying cockpits. The guy asked an opinion, I'm in a position to give one on all three pedals. If he wants to throw money at some crosswinds it will turn out fine for him. But if money is an issue the Saiteks will give him no less a good experience. Better to spend the cash on a better hotas.

"You must be jokng. Crosswinds are another dimension from plastic crap of CH and saitek. Not only in durability, feeling and precision but in customization also."