Engine Sounds

rhinofilms

Applying sound of Griffon Spitfire(5 blade prop) to Merlin Spitfire(4 blade prop) make no sense for me anyway.

Nobody was saying that. The discussion has been about improving the sounds. Not making something unrealistic. The original post may have had a video with the incorrect engined aircraft but the point still stands that the sounds of the war birds are not as close as they could be to the real life counterparts

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Nobody was saying that. The discussion has been about improving the sounds. Not making something unrealistic. The original post may have had a video with the incorrect engined aircraft but the point still stands that the sounds of the war birds are not as close as they could be to the real life counterparts

Please use the engine sounds from this video. It would make me so happy.

this video contain sound of 2 planes griffon spit and fw190 replica

I think some one said that :)

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

this video contain sound of 2 planes griffon spit and fw190 replica

I think some one said that :)

Yes but like I said in the rest of that post that you just quoted "The original post may have had a video with the incorrect engined aircraft but the point still stands that the sounds of the war birds are not as close as they could be to the real life counterparts"

I'm not going to continue this discussion here since it is clear that we are both set in our ways and are sure in our answers. If they decided to one day update the sounds to a higher standard great. If not I will live, would've been nice is all, I'm not the only one who thinks they need improving, have discussed it many times on here and reddit with people agreeing.

Thanks anyway.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

• ED Team
Applying sound of Griffon Spitfire(5 blade prop) to Merlin Spitfire(4 blade prop) make no sense for me anyway.

Right.

And we do have a lot of sounds recorded from 4 bladed Merlin Spit IX or similar models.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
Yes but like I said in the rest of that post that you just quoted "The original post may have had a video with the incorrect engined aircraft but the point still stands that the sounds of the war birds are not as close as they could be to the real life counterparts"

I'm not going to continue this discussion here since it is clear that we are both set in our ways and are sure in our answers. If they decided to one day update the sounds to a higher standard great. If not I will live, would've been nice is all, I'm not the only one who thinks they need improving, have discussed it many times on here and reddit with people agreeing.

Thanks anyway.

As a man who listened prop planes for hundreds of hours, from few meters (including zero boost runs) to normal airshow distance, I can say that you never can feel the same as you feel the sound with your breast... Or you must have hundreds of watts and huge speakers in your room.

As it was written before, the sound in a simulation can not replicate the original sound using only original samples, because of very complicated conditions the original sound is generated in. Boost, rpm, prop pitch, prop loading, etc. That's why the original samples are disassembled and then reassembled again to make the resulting sound

a) distinctive (so, in DCS Spitfires, Mustangs and other props are absolutely recognisable with closed eyes);

b) informative - one can hear rpm and boost changes;

c) as close to the original samples as possible.

Flyby sound in DCS, I think, now is really the best, because we have implemented most speed of sound related effects.

And, finally, our sound creator, btd, I think, has a lot of live prop aircraft audition hours for reference.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

[...]That's why the original samples are disassembled and then reassembled again to make the resulting sound

a) distinctive (so, in DCS Spitfires, Mustangs and other props are absolutely recognisable with closed eyes);

[...]

Do you do this reassembly offline, or does the audio engine mix and match everything in real-time?

If you already do it in real-time, is there a chance to get granular audio feedback from engine damage?

Would be fantastic, if you could judge not only performance state, but also engine health by ear!

Apart from that, i think sound is not in a bad spot: Some aircraft have great sound, others have decent sound still, as far as i can tell.

Edited by twistking

As a man who listened prop planes for hundreds of hours, from few meters (including zero boost runs) to normal airshow distance, I can say that you never can feel the same as you feel the sound with your breast... Or you must have hundreds of watts and huge speakers in your room.

As it was written before, the sound in a simulation can not replicate the original sound using only original samples, because of very complicated conditions the original sound is generated in. Boost, rpm, prop pitch, prop loading, etc. That's why the original samples are disassembled and then reassembled again to make the resulting sound

Flyby sound in DCS, I think, now is really the best, because we have implemented most speed of sound related effects.

And, finally, our sound creator, btd, I think, has a lot of live prop aircraft audition hours for reference.

Thanks for the time to write this up yoyo. Perhaps something that could be changed unless it is an issue with the sound engine is the distance that aircraft can be heard before fading to silence and a little ambient noise?

• ED Team
Do you do this reassembly offline, or does the audio engine mix and match everything in real-time?

If you already do it in real-time, is there a chance to get granular audio feedback from engine damage?

Would be fantastic, if you could judge not only performance state, but also engine health by ear!

Apart from that, i think sound is not in a bad spot: Some aircraft have great sound, others have decent sound still, as far as i can tell.

Yes, some engine failure sounds already present and some will be added.

And yes - the sounds are assembled in real time.

There is one important thing we are missing in DCS now.

I dont how to call it but i would call it sound propagation delay,

When observer is looking at plane passing by from let say 700m, observer would notice that sound is cooming from behind plane not straight from plane (sound need time to get to the observer ears, light is doing it instantly almost) faster plane would fly and farther it would fly for mobserver sound lagg will be bigger.

But this probably would take a lot of computing power from PC

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

There is one important thing we are missing in DCS now.

I dont how to call it but i would call it sound propagation delay,

When observer is looking at plane passing by from let say 700m, observer would notice that sound is cooming from behind plane not straight from plane (sound need time to get to the observer ears, light is doing it instantly almost) faster plane would fly and farther it would fly for mobserver sound lagg will be bigger.

But this probably would take a lot of computing power from PC

You mean Doppler effect? It's modelled indeed since quite a lot of time.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

You mean Doppler effect? It's modelled indeed since quite a lot of time.

S!

No. Dopler effect is change of frequency of wave.

What i mean is difrent

It delay of incoming sound compare to incoming light.

Just immagine you are sitting at control towrer at airfield(lets assume that tower is 300m from runway), plane is passing by over runway(150m/s) , so sound and light is sent to you at the same time but sound need 1 second to get to you, by this 1 second plane is moved 150m ahead, so sound and light is moved about 150m from each other.

If plane woudl be faster like 300m/s and observer would be farther away, incoming sound daly could be the leanth of run way, so observer would have miss idea that plane is entering run way but plane would be exiting run way alredy.

It is easy noticable whne fast jests are passing by unless you have visual on them, you have no idea where are they becouse sound is coming from point where plane was 3-5 second ago and at speeds 300m/s it is afar away.

What i am talking about is subsonic speeds, didnt test supersonic speeds in dcs yet.

Edited by grafspee

No. Dopler effect is change of frequency of wave.

What i mean is difrent

It delay of incoming sound compare to incoming light.

Just immagine you are sitting at control towrer at airfield(lets assume that tower is 300m from runway), plane is passing by over runway(150m/s) , so sound and light is sent to you at the same time but sound need 1 second to get to you, by this 1 second plane is moved 150m ahead, so sound and light is moved about 150m from each other.

If plane woudl be faster like 300m/s and observer would be farther away, incoming sound daly could be the leanth of run way, so observer would have miss idea that plane is entering run way but plane would be exiting run way alredy.

It is easy noticable whne fast jests are passing by unless you have visual on them, you have no idea where are they becouse sound is coming from point where plane was 3-5 second ago and at speeds 300m/s it is afar away.

What i am talking about is subsonic speeds, didnt test supersonic speeds in dcs yet.

It is already in the sim.

Try to place the camera say 200 meters away from an explosion (a fast transient sound) and verify for yourself :thumbup:

It is already in the sim.

Try to place the camera say 200 meters away from an explosion (a fast transient sound) and verify for yourself :thumbup:

Explosions sounds delay is for quite a time but what im talking about isnt there yet

Try, watch plane flying by and notice that sound is coming exactly from the plane direction no delay at all.

But like i said simulating this from difrent angles difrent ranges difrent speed would take a lot of computing power i think.

Edited by grafspee

Well there is no real positional sound sim right now, there is a rough "quadrant" tracking.

If the sound is coming from both of your frontal quadrants, the sound is being reproduced equally in the left and right channel.

Right now there is no real cue if a sound is behind you, or in a specific position up/down, only hard left or hard right.

This is very obvious when listening from cockpit.

Well there is no real positional sound sim right now, there is a rough "quadrant" tracking.

If the sound is coming from both of your frontal quadrants, the sound is being reproduced equally in the left and right channel.

Right now there is no real cue if a sound is behind you, or in a specific position up/down, only hard left or hard right.

This is very obvious when listening from cockpit.

In my head set i can clearly hear from what direction sound is comming.

But this is not a case which i made this inquiry.

Edited by grafspee