Flight Manual Startup Error?

This seems like an error on Page 137

“Engine warmup

• After successful engine startup, pull back the idle cut.off control to its rearmost position.”

This will stop the engine. So why is it in the startup procedure?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Good question, +1

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Or you can dig for original spit IX manual, works too.

Shame that ED pass over part about need of priming until engine start running smoothYIq9QCA.png

Pp5TSRx.png,qIE0qXE.png

1uE4q3g.png

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Or you can dig for original spit IX manual, works too.

Shame that ED pass over part about need of priming until engine start running smoothYIq9QCA.png

Pp5TSRx.png,qIE0qXE.png

1uE4q3g.png

That is for Merlin 61 and 63 engines. Our Spitfire has a Merlin 66 engine. It actually says in your screenshots between the parentheses.

And that's a pilot's notes manual. A little different from a normal flight manual, not as specific and covers more important or notable items.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is for Merlin 61 and 63 engines. Our Spitfire has a Merlin 66 engine. It actually says in your screenshots between the parentheses.

And that's a pilot's notes manual. A little different from a normal flight manual, not as specific and covers more important or notable items.

read it again, there is part for merlin 66 too.

This cover all important things to fly plane

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

read it again, there is part for merlin 66 too.

This cover all important things to fly plane

Ah, you're right!

Have you tried this method? Releasing the starter button when the engine fires, but holding the booster, etc etc?

Can't try it myself right now.

Edited by Magic Zach

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah, you're right!

Have you tried this method? Releasing the starter button when the engine fires, but holding the booster, etc etc?

Can't try it myself right now.

Its not modeled in DCS engine will start regardless, normaly you keep booster on to help magnetos with ignition since magnetos arent doing well at low rpm

I mean not perfect start up,booster coil is working you should be able to start engien w/o magnetos by using booster coil only

Edited by grafspee

• 1 month later...

The DCS aeroplane doesn't start following the procedure in the original pilot's notes. The notes say to move the cut off control forward into the RUN position before hitting the booster coil and starter, then pump away at the primer until the engine runs smoothly. This procedure doesn't work on the DCS aeroplane as the engine never catches.

This video shows MH434 (which is the aircraft modelled by DCS) being started as per the pilot's notes (ignore the commentary. The narrator gets it wrong - the cut off is clearly fully forward):

The DCS aeroplane doesn't start following the procedure in the original pilot's notes. The notes say to move the cut off control forward into the RUN position before hitting the booster coil and starter, then pump away at the primer until the engine runs smoothly. This procedure doesn't work on the DCS aeroplane as the engine never catches.

This video shows MH434 (which is the aircraft modelled by DCS) being started as per the pilot's notes (ignore the commentary. The narrator gets it wrong - the cut off is clearly fully forward):

I will say that in those kind of clips,error may have happen too.

Start up in warbirds in DCS are simplified,there is no in depth start up logic or anything implemented, you just start engine that's it like in car.

I linked scans from spit pilot manual,

Mixture controll fully aft it says before start up.

DCS spit is missing need of keeping booster and using primer to keep it going until engine will work fine.

Edited by grafspee

Does the real mixture lever function as an idle cutoff like in the DCS Spit? One thing that hasn't made sense to me is that it's called a mixture control lever, with full forward being "rich." That would imply that full aft is "lean," and that the lever could be positioned anywhere between rich and lean for a specific fuel mixture. Not an idle cutoff as we have it in the sim.

Does the real mixture lever function as an idle cutoff like in the DCS Spit? One thing that hasn't made sense to me is that it's called a mixture control lever, with full forward being "rich." That would imply that full aft is "lean," and that the lever could be positioned anywhere between rich and lean for a specific fuel mixture. Not an idle cutoff as we have it in the sim.

It used to work that way but when merlin 66 come in with automatic carburettor, function of this was reduced to cut off/run switch.

It was standard ammong top fighters in WW2 to have automatic carbs. So pilot dont need to pay attention.

Early p-51 and p-47 used 3 stage mixture control cut-off/lean/rich/ but all of those dont incorporate linear transitions between. it work like switch.(4th stage was emergency full rich position).

During war planes got lots of changes upgrades etc etc. We have very late war planes, all of them incorporate latest stuff.

If we would get something like f4f or Zero or yak-1 or even early spit / hurricane etc that we would get manual mixture control

Edited by grafspee

Mixture controll fully aft it says before start up.

... and in the next step it says to move it to "run" position before priming and cranking.

When one tries to do it in DCS Spit though, the system gets depressurized and the rest of the startup as per manual is impossible.

Some of us have been pointing out this discrepancy since the module release, without devs reply, however. I suspect part of the system modelling logic might have been just copy-pasted from the Mustang when the Spit was being developed.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

... and in the next step it says to move it to "run" position before priming and cranking.

When one tries to do it in DCS Spit though, the system gets depressurized and the rest of the startup as per manual is impossible.

Some of us have been pointing out this discrepancy since the module release, without devs reply, however. I suspect part of the system modelling logic might have been just copy-pasted from the Mustang when the Spit was being developed.

oh Yes, you are right.

Even priming in p-51 s broken becouse priming works only before you start cranking, while cranking priming has no effect and it should have had it.

Edited by grafspee

• 3 weeks later...

i am extremely disappointed with the Spitfire manual as i was delving deep into it lately.... it seems that the big focus is on wikipedia and national geographic style history while they go quickly over the procedures and in a contradictory way sometimes...