Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

-TSP- Multigaming Discord Server

9700K @5,2GHz Watercooled | 32Gb RAM @4266 CL16 | 2 GTX 1080 TI Watercooled| HW Raid 10 (4x 960gb SSD) | Warthog HOTAS | Saitek rudder pedals | Track IR5

WW2 Assets, A-10C, AJS Viggen, Bf109, F-5E Tiger II, F/A-18C Hornet, FW190, FC3, Black Shark 2, L-39, P-51D. Gazelle, Spitfire Mk. IX, Su-25T, TF-51D, UH-1H, Christen Eagle 2, Nevada, Normandy

On The moment AMD is seriously kicking Intel in performance per buck, and in raw performance because AMD totally redesigned how to build processors with threadripper (ZEN) architecture. Intel has nothing like that and is seriously in problems for next year's until they get something next generation out.

So if looking that what a DCS can utilize in 2021-2025 period when current 1000+ € processors prices drops to 500-700€ range, then DCS basically has unlimited power to do anything.

But that seriously requires that DCS is redesigned to utilize all that by physics, AI and other calculations, as graphics doesn't require much better than there is now.

Talks about higher clock speeds etc are useless as all the performance that current 3-5 year old processors currently offers are mainly not utilized at all, like it could.

And regardless all that, DCS looks and works great to what is has.

Personally I like to see in future offering higher utilization that is directed to getting more ground units, more accurate ground units simulation (FOV, moral, courage etc) and far more heavier graphics I/O for low level flying by including lots of randomly placed ground clutter elements (instead individually placing all) for low/slow level flying. A new terrain engine to offer much higher ground height resolution so that there is places for getting units to hide in their engagements, so it ain't like a billiard table smooth.

I would be betting that many would be ready to dedicate 1-2 terabytes space for DCS, but that what is real limitation is broadband width, how much one needs to download to get DCS installed. And there 50-60 GiB is pretty high limitation, why total 500 GiB is serious drawback for many...

Why speed trees etc tech is required.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yep. I've already read that one. The next theoretical doubling of cores mentioned in it, is expected with the node shrink to 5nm. That is also expected to be when AMD's shifts to a new socket (AM5), DDR5 and PCIe 5.0. All of which is targeted for 2021.

Yep. I've already read that one. The next theoretical doubling of cores mentioned in it, is expected with the node shrink to 5nm. That is also expected to be when AMD's shifts to a new socket (AM5), DDR5 and PCIe 5.0. All of which is targeted for 2021.

I did not say 128 core CPU will launch this week. But the future will at least for a bit go into that direction.

Actually SMP wont just work out of the box, even if my grandson will play DCS with Vulkan one day. Lots of work is required. I really Wonder, If such work hast alread started...

-TSP- Multigaming Discord Server

9700K @5,2GHz Watercooled | 32Gb RAM @4266 CL16 | 2 GTX 1080 TI Watercooled| HW Raid 10 (4x 960gb SSD) | Warthog HOTAS | Saitek rudder pedals | Track IR5

WW2 Assets, A-10C, AJS Viggen, Bf109, F-5E Tiger II, F/A-18C Hornet, FW190, FC3, Black Shark 2, L-39, P-51D. Gazelle, Spitfire Mk. IX, Su-25T, TF-51D, UH-1H, Christen Eagle 2, Nevada, Normandy

I did not say 128 core CPU will launch this week. But the future will at least for a bit go into that direction.

Actually SMP wont just work out of the box, even if my grandson will play DCS with Vulkan one day. Lots of work is required. I really Wonder, If such work hast alread started...

Work on converting DCS to Vulkan API has long been underway.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Work on converting DCS to Vulkan API has long been underway.

Thats for sure but can we expect any news about the progres. I assume all the important work is going to Cross the finish Line soon?

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

In addition to making current shaders compatible with Vulkan, are new shaders being made for new FLIR and Ground mapping APIs?

It wouldn't surprise me if the ground-mapping radar mode, such as for the F/A-18, was coded originally for Vulkan... That's probably why we don't have it yet.

When/if ED gets around to releasing a version of DCS with Vulkan API then that's probably when we'll have ground radar.

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

When/if ED gets around to releasing a version of DCS with Vulkan API then that's probably when we'll have ground radar.

The JF-17 uses the ground radar API right now.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The JF-17 uses the ground radar API right now.

Interesting... I wonder why it's non-existent in ED modules so far.

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

Interesting... I wonder why it's non-existent in ED modules so far.

They prioritized other sensors (TGP) that are more important to AG warfare.

Come let's eat grandpa!

But Deka used the radar api that ED developed. So perhaps its political. IRL ground radar is so/so and hard to use. ED doesnt want to take flak feom the player base. So they let deka be test case, and di the bug fixing there. Then they add it for the viper and hornet.

As an aside the jeff tgp seems far more "real" than the magic ED pods IMO.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

In addition to making current shaders compatible with Vulkan, are new shaders being made for new FLIR and Ground mapping APIs?

I hope the flir model is more than shaders.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Abstrakt Heat maps on all objects depening on weather and time of the Day for instance.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

with Vulkan API, is there any possibility to make it work on the linux world? will it be possible to install it on ubuntu and or linux mint?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

with Vulkan API, is there any possibility to make it work on the linux world? will it be possible to install it on ubuntu and or linux mint?

It's still built with Microsofts C++ libraries, so no. There's equivalents for those under Linux, but using those necessitates a big refactoring task.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

I hope the flir model is more than shaders.

for an accurate system, all you really need is a heat map and a shader filter.

Heat Map will show where hot and cold are on an object, shaders themselves (ie explosions) will also control heat map and intensity, as well as ambient temp, sunlight etc. Not to mention the Conversion to PBR also has the ability to convert items to a heat map via Metallic Map + Heat Sources And Environment.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

What are my chances of getting DCS on Linux? Like 1 out of 100?

I'd say more like 1 out of a million

So....you're saying there is a chance! :D

But in all seriousness, there's no port for Mac. And there are a lot more Macs then there are Linux. Yes, I understand that Mac is Unix derivative from CMU's the Mach kernel. But it's not Linux.

So flight sim'ing is already a niche market. Asking them to support yet another niche market of OS would be too much, methinks.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Why ever bother? ED have their hands full already. Windows machines are the go-to universal standard for gaming.

Yes, you can get games for OS's besides Windows. Just like even if you live in North America, you can get cars that run on Diesel fuel and have manual transmissions! ;)

AD

Kit:

It's much easier and cheaper to get a Linux server hosted than a Windows machine.
Then, the dedicated server executable is what needs a linux version, right? That'd be nice to have, I guess.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

2.5.6 vulkan?

The newletter mentioned 2.5.6 being tested with the biggest feature being the revamped night lighting, which looked very good on the screenshot.

I always assumed, that the night lighting improvments would be developed for vulkan exclusively, since vulkan would probably require a substantial shader reconfiguration and developing new graphic features for directX seems wasteful in that regard.

Long story short: Will 2.5.6 come with vulkan?