Mission Editor; Respawn AI On Death

Furballhero

I was in the middle of making a mission in the editor and I was surprised to see there is no (easy) way to have an AI unit re-spawn on death. So the feature I am requesting is basically:

On [AI] = [Killed] [Respawn] after [X] seconds.

I was attempting to create a perpetual warzone. Mostly using infantry in a city. The problem I was running into is that after 15-20 minutes most of the infantry had killed themselves and what was once a raging battle from the sky was no more than pot shots. Taking away from the feel and urgency of the mission. Also, with the re-spawn system I could use 1/4 of the ground units to get the same high intensity conflict, making the mission less taxing on the system.

Another mission I was attempting to design is 2 airfields, sending up waves of AI Fighters & Bombers of equal strength against each other, which would all re-spawn on death. Again creating never ending perpetual air war, the difference being is that it's the players who would tip the scales and slowly push the air war back towards the opposing airfield. Eventually getting close enough to bomb the opposing airfield and win the mission.

There are currently ways of faking the re-spawn type system, but as far as I know they aren't fast or simple. They involve scripting or mods.

Edited by Furballhero
  • Like 1

Also, with the re-spawn system I could use 1/4 of the ground units to get the same high intensity conflict, making the mission less taxing on the system.

Units that haven't spawned yet are stored in ram, but they don't seem to impact game performance. I built a mission with approximately 1000 units and I don't notice any frame rate hit until a bunch of them have spawned.

Anyway, without scripting you have to use this procedure:

1. Copy the unit you want to respawn

2. Paste it on the map the number of times you want it to respawn

3. Set these units to have a delayed start

4. In the mission editors create a trigger for each respawn unit.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

1. Copy the unit you want to respawn

2. Paste it on the map the number of times you want it to respawn

3. Set these units to have a delayed start

4. In the mission editors create a trigger for each respawn unit.

Yeah, I am aware of this work around, which is why I am requesting a respawn fix because when you have to do this for every single unit it becomes incredibly time consuming and it's not infinite. If I wanted to run a multiplayer server with re-spawns for each of 40 AI units and have them last long enough for 2+ hours of runtime I would have to spend far too much time creating re-spawn chains in the way your recommending, instead of a simple 2 second solution as I am requesting.

Edited by Furballhero
  • Like 1

Units that haven't spawned yet are stored in ram, but they don't seem to impact game performance. I built a mission with approximately 1000 units and I don't notice any frame rate hit until a bunch of them have spawned.

Currently if I wanted to create, what appears from the sky as a large land battle, one of the ways I could do that is place numerous dozens of units in combat, enough so that by the time the player takes off, and makes it to the war zone there are still enough units left to simulate this battle.

If we had an AI re-spawn option, I could place 1/4 of the units near each other on perpetual re-spawn and from the sky it would appear as a large battle without having to fiddle with the current time consuming work arounds, or adding a ton of units so enough survive.

Edited by Furballhero

Yeah, I agree it is tedious. Your wish is shared!

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, every group should not be unique that can't be easily spawned again if wanted. Makes more time tasking to make simple triggers that spawns copy of group after death as soon it becomes annoying to do after 3 groups.

Having a simple "respawn" option with additional options for "delay 00:00:00" and "respawn to original position / last position / waypoint X" would help many things.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.