Persian Gulf Map Discussion

Slipp

Hi folks,

From the map that Wags has posted I assume the airfields shown are the ones we‘re getting, at least in the initial release. Question: If so, is there a specific point in time that the map will be based on?

To avoid any confusion and be as transparent as possible, this image shows most of the map.

The general operations area for the carrier groups would be in the Arabian Sea.

The reason why I am asking is because I am looking for navigation and ground charts of the airfields in question and the time is important to find the appropriate charts in terms of magnetic runway bearings (which change over time as you know).

Now I noticed that none of the bearings shown there for the localizer beams correspond to current magnetic values (most of them off by 1 or 2 degrees). They also do not correspond to the true bearings either.

Examples:

Sharjah Intl (OMSJ):

123° as per Wags screenshot

120.57° (~121°) magnetic/122.37° true as per OM AIP 30-MAR-2017 (MagVar 1.8°E, est. 2012)

Al Maktoum Intl (OMDW):

122° as per Wags screenshot

119° magnetic/121° true as per OM AIP 30-MAR-2017 (MagVar 2°E, est. 2017)

This one is a good benchmark since the airport is relatively new, being published in AIP for the first time in 2011, back then with a MagVar of 1.6°E (MagVar established in 2008 )

Bandar Abbass Intl (OIKB):

208° as per Wags screenshot

206° magnetic/207.77° true as per OI AIP 15-SEP-2016 (MagVar 2°E, est. 2014)

Here "Wags bearing" nearly resembles the official true bearing.

Maybe it is way to early to ask this detail question but I assume at least the true bearings of the runways in DCS SOH map will match the real true bearings, so it is all just a question of which magnetic variation applies.

Sorry for this long story about a short question. Looking for appropriate aeronautical charts for the SoH map is just my humble way of bridging the time gap until it's going to be released :smilewink:

Cheers,

Christian

SoHArea.thumb.jpg.d0bd545f6db151998a46baf001b7bd04.jpg

Edited by Hog_No32

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question to the testers in case they know and are at liberty to answer. If i am not mistaken, ED's map building tools and techniques are in constant development and thus each new map should be more detailed and advanced than the ones that came before. So i reckon the new Caucasus will be better on various fronts than NTTR in its current iteration. SoH would then be even better than the 2.5 Caucasus version.

Now, NTTR looks realy amazing overall. For helicopter pilots though, hovering over the ground at a couple of feet, the terrains flatness and close up low texture quality really shows.

First, do you have any info whether SoH will be build with new techniques or engine enhancements that give more grainularity to the ground (small rocks, holes, cracks etc. generally more uneven/rugged surface) including HD textures when looking from 2-1 meters height?

If that is the case, might we see this transferred over to NTTR at some later point as well?

Maybe it is way to early to ask this detail question but I assume at least the true bearings of the runways in DCS SOH map will match the real true bearings, so it is all just a question of which magnetic variation applies.
From your data, I think they build the map so runway bearings will match RL next year or may be in a couple. That's planning ahead IMO :D .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• ED Team

Caucasus 2.5 is an extensive upgrade of the existing map. Unlike NTTR, Normandy and the upcoming SoH maps, it was not created from scratch, so while it will be much better than the old 1.5 map, it doesnt use everything the other new maps might.

A question to the testers in case they know and are at liberty to answer. If i am not mistaken, ED's map building tools and techniques are in constant development and thus each new map should be more detailed and advanced than the ones that came before. So i reckon the new Caucasus will be better on various fronts than NTTR in its current iteration. SoH would then be even better than the 2.5 Caucasus version.

Now, NTTR looks realy amazing overall. For helicopter pilots though, hovering over the ground at a couple of feet, the terrains flatness and close up low texture quality really shows.

First, do you have any info whether SoH will be build with new techniques or engine enhancements that give more grainularity to the ground (small rocks, holes, cracks etc. generally more uneven/rugged surface) including HD textures when looking from 2-1 meters height?

If that is the case, might we see this transferred over to NTTR at some later point as well?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 3 weeks later...
Until now we have seen the modern Gulf state cities, and oil refineries, harbours and bases, my request is, can we see small towns and villages?
+1 rarely will we see attacks and bomb runs on the Burj-el-Arab or Dubai in general.

The interesting part is the rural areas, that resemble "actual" conflict zones.

We crave for anything like Iraq, Kuwait, Iran, Syria, Afghanistan, Jemen, Libya/Egypt, Mali or maybe just Balkans, Falklands, Panama, or even Vietnam...

As nice as SoH is, some 500km to the north and west, would have been bulls-eye!

Is there a reason to absolutely omit any real life conflict zones?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

+1 rarely will we see attacks and bomb runs on the Burj-el-Arab or Dubai in general.

We crave for anything like Iraq, Kuwait, Iran, Syria, Afghanistan, Jemen, Libya/Egypt, Mali or maybe just Balkans, Falklands, Panama, or even Vietnam...

DCS is a "sandbox" (no SOH pun intended)

It's GI Joe with wings and rotors. Aside from "-ish" locations, there's nothing entirely accurate about anything in DCS. I personally think that's one of the really cool things about it.

Mustangs over Nevada? Ok...

MiGs and Eagles over Normandy? Sure...

I think SOH is going to be an awesome playground.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

DCS is a "sandbox" (no SOH pun intended)

It's GI Joe with wings and rotors. Aside from "-ish" locations, there's nothing entirely accurate about anything in DCS. I personally think that's one of the really cool things about it.

Mustangs over Nevada? Ok...

MiGs and Eagles over Normandy? Sure...

I think SOH is going to be an awesome playground.

Yes, no problem with that. But could you imagine the sales for a Syria map? Or Iraq/Iran/Kuwait? Or a Vietnam map?

No problem with flying Bf.109 over Iran or MiG-29 against Mustangs over Vietnam...

Just that a lot of people would be gladly setting up a Gulf War scenario with Iraq and Kuwait on the map than Dubai and Abu-Dabi, a COIN scenario may come easier and more convincing on an Afghanistan map, than Nevada and Normandy.

And Jungle warfare in Normandy or Caucasus lacks a bit compared to Vietnam as a setting for my sandbox.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy for every map we get, yet I can't always follow the decision process on the exact area... Especially with Strait of Hormuz as it would have been so great to have Iraq/Kuwait border with the AV-8B and F-18C naval ops coming...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I second that, +1

I don't want to enter in a discussion about SOH being relevant or not, ED made a decision and thats what we will get, I simply want pictures of the rural areas, villages, towns, the roads that connect those villages, crop fields and orchards, etc...

Please post such pictures ED, Is Christmas eve today!

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Yes, no problem with that. But could you imagine the sales for a Syria map? Or Iraq/Iran/Kuwait? ...

Some may call that war profetering, a country may also be less forgiving in allowing such modelling if it's also dealing with an active civil war. ED wisely tries to stay out of politics (also for their ties with various government (sponsored) companies.

It's been said in this thread dozens of times that the Straight of Hormuz has always been a hotspot (historically), with very relevant countries nearby who are in (indirect) conflicts at the moment.

I think they've made a choice for a potential hotspot, which also allows us mission builders to model actual hotspots in the rural area's.

Just my 2cts.:music_whistling:

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

Some may call that war profetering, a country may also be less forgiving in allowing such modelling if it's also dealing with an active civil war. ED wisely tries to stay out of politics (also for their ties with various government (sponsored) companies.

It's been said in this thread dozens of times that the Straight of Hormuz has always been a hotspot (historically), with very relevant countries nearby who are in (indirect) conflicts at the moment.

I think they've made a choice for a potential hotspot, which also allows us mission builders to model actual hotspots in the rural area's.

Just my 2cts.:music_whistling:

Well, Balkans (Yugoslavian war/Kosovo war) 1991, some 27 years ago.

-Iran/Iraq war 1980, some 37 years ago.

-Gulf War (Kuwait) early 1990ies nearly 30 years ago.

-Gulf War II 2003 some 15 years ago.

-Libyan war 2011 some 6 years ago.

-Russian Afghanistan war 1979 over 38 years ago.

-War on Terror Afghanistan 2001 some 16 years ago.

-Vietnam war 1955 some 70 years ago.

So you mean with Strait of Hormuz ED is trying to prophesize a Dubai/Iran clash in the Strait of Hormuz?

I can agree Jemen and Syria may not be the best of choices, in terms of affected people, but if using potential conflict zones is prophecy then Caucasus/Georgia or Strait of Hormuz isn't sensibly at all.

As I said, I am happy for any new map, but from a market perspective I am sure either Iran/Iraq/Kuwait or Afghanistan have a huge potential, with Afghanistan catering Western and russian customers...

And I have never heard any complaints about the scenarios coming with the Caucasus map recreating a fictious version of the Georgian/Ossetian conflict or the Black Shark "Deployment" campaign resembling events like the founding of a "Caucasus Emirate" by chechen terrorists around their leader Doku Umarow in the northern Russian caucasus region.

On the contrary, it gave the campaigns credibility and a good background, though the individual missions aren't necessarily related to real world missions.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

What I really meant that it's been a hotspot, not an actual large scale war zone as per the examples you've given. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for any of those area's to get modelled into the game.

I just hypothesized they chose NOT to model one of those area's because they could get flak for modelling politically difficult war zones.

I don't want to enter in a discussion about SOH being relevant or not

But that's the last I'll say from my point of view on it.. :D

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

• 6 months later...

Any chance to add the Sir Abu Nu´Ayr island to the Persan Gulf Map?

All islands present are inside Iran border limits and this island belongs to UAE and also has a small runway and a little harbour. Is perfect for a Range location to train.

hHknj9V.jpg

2UIO0kW.jpg

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

You mean this one?

3w53xsxspkxaj9ozg.jpg?size_id=c

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

Yup.

is already in the map?

Wow, how i miss that, thanks ,mate.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4