BFT05 Altitude Bug 2.5.1

I can get through the speed changes at the start, but after climbing to 10,000 I get a terminate call, saying that I missed the altitude. I'm attaching a track.

Edit: Track won't upload. It says file size exceeded, 13.17mb.

Edited by Jetguy06
Track wouldn't attach

It's a little hard to read but is your altimeter set to 2992?

This is the standard altimeter setting when above the transition altitude. You can read about it online.

Someone had posted that A-10 pilots don't change their altimeter setting so try flying with it at 2992 and see if you still get the failure.

We will also try and reproduce it but we didn't see it in testing for 2.5 with 2992 set at the time.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

It's a little hard to read but is your altimeter set to 2992?

This is the standard altimeter setting when above the transition altitude. You can read about it online.

Someone had posted that A-10 pilots don't change their altimeter setting so try flying with it at 2992 and see if you still get the failure.

We will also try and reproduce it but we didn't see it in testing for 2.5 with 2992 set at the time.

Ok. I had mine set to 29.89 from takeoff. I know in the States the transition altitude is 18,000 ft., and Korea is 14,000, but I don't know what the transition altitude is for Georgia. I'll try it at 29.92 and see if that fixes it. Thanks.

We just retested and it appears ED has adjusted the altitude values again.

Even at 2992 it appears you have to fly 200' - 300' feet higher to get within the trigger range we currently have set.

We will do more testing and determine new altitude values for all the triggers.

Found this online: http://www.aopa.org.il/userfiles/files/AIP/cd/2010-06-03-AIRAC/html/UG-ENR-1.7-en-GB.html

There is three altimeter setting regions in Georgia:

1. Tbilisi TMA;
  2. Kutaisi TMA;
  3. Batumi TMA.

Transition altitude for Tbilisi TMA is common. It is 7600 FT.

A common transition level is established for Tbilisi TMA. It is FL 90.

Transition altitude for Kutaisi TMA is common. It is 7000 FT.

A common transition level is established for Kutaisi TMA. It is FL 90.

Transition altitude for Batumi TMA is common. It is 7000 FT.

A common transition level is established for Batumi TMA. It is FL 90.

Typically you fly with altimeter set to the airport altitude(ie your altimeter shows 0 altitude when on the runway) and then set it to 2992 once above the transition altitude however someone posted that A-10 pilots never set it and leave it at 2992. So we are setting all the altitude triggers based on 2992.

• 2 weeks later...

The mission triggers are testing your heading so you should fly to the heading indicated. The waypoints are to help but they can be on a different heading depending on when and how you make your turns.

Do you hear any of the following messages once you are established at 040 angels 7 at 220 knots?

'Well done! Maintain 040 angels 7 at 220 knots.'

'Fly heading 040, angels 7 at 220 knots.'

'Maintain angels 7.'

'Maintain 220 knots!'

For the next trigger to fire you need to hear the

''Well done! Maintain 040 angels 7 at 220 knots.' message.

We will retest again to see if something changed in the latest patch release.

With the latest update, I stop getting triggers to do more manuevers, though I'm level at 7000 ft, 220 knots, heading 040 (I never get the level turn trigger).

+1.

Kept flying past WP3. Thought it might be because I had missed the waypoint, and so I tried to turn around -> mission failure as too much deviation from 040.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

So we are setting all the altitude triggers based on 2992.

Are you saying that we should set 29.92 at all times for the campaign?

I know I've probably missed it somewhere; but does this need to be more explicitly explained to users? It's the first time I've come across this after attempting this campaign several times. TBH I've never changed the altimeter setting when flying this campaign.

In my (RW private flying VFR) experience I would set QNH on departure, and QFE on approach (UK VFR). Most other places, I believe, stay with QNH on approach also. I have never gone above transition when VFR where I fly. I'm inferring from your explanation that military pilots don't use QNH at all. This seems to me unlikely, but I'd be very interested to know how they actually do handle it.

Sorry to keep cropping up like a bad penny, btw. What happens is I start the campaign, get distracted by real life or come up against issues like this. Put it aside for weeks, then start again from the beginning. Through several attempts I think the furthest I've ever got to is mission 6 or 7. Not complaining, I think your campaigns are brilliant, my own motivation and attention-span - not so much.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Yes - sorry for the issues with this.

There was a thread posted in the A-10 section where a knowledgeable A-10 person indicated that the A-10 pilots never set QFE but always leave it at 2992.

Since most of the practice missions start with you airborne and defaulted to 2992 already we thought this made it simpler to keep all the altitude triggers consistent between the practice missions and the campaign missions.

One wrinkle introduced recently is that ED has been adjusting the altitude game engine settings in 2.5 so the first time our triggers were off about 200-300'.

We adjusted them to correct and then ED made further changes which we then also had to adjust again.

The latest patched version should have the updated values now but one trigger in BFT05 still had an issue. When diving for Angels 7 you should fly below 6400' to get the trigger to fire. We have sent another update to ED so that should correct that issue.

We have created a altitude test mission so we can confirm if it changes in future updates and adjust our missions accordingly. Thankfully the other campaigns are more immune to these changes.

We are reviewing the documentation and will update the references and highlight the 2992 value better so players not familiar with the requirement will be aware.

Also as part of the documentation review we are updating the badges to higher resolution images.

These will appear in a future ED update.

OK, descending to 6400 (on 29.92) worked and triggered the "well done". I then had to climb back up to 7000 before the trigger to request the level turn would work. I then managed to screw up the low speed level turn :) so can't comment on the rest of mission, but I'll give it another try tomorrow. Thanks for replying.

EDIT

Managed to complete the mission. Descending to 6400 and then climbing back up to 7000. After that following the altitudes as requested by the instructor everything works out fine.

Edited by Hippo