Lead on the machinegun?

Red_Donkey

I'm just messing around shooting driving cars. But when using the gun on a moving target, no rounds hit.

I have Moving Ground Vehicle and Laser on. When I played Black Shark couple of years ago, I cant remember the gun not being able to track a moving truck.

Running DCS 2.5

What am I doing wrong?

I'm just messing around shooting driving cars. But when using the gun on a moving target, no rounds hit.

I have Moving Ground Vehicle and Laser on. When I played Black Shark couple of years ago, I cant remember the gun not being able to track a moving truck.

Running DCS 2.5

What am I doing wrong?

Make sure you have "Turn-on-Target" and "Ground-Moving-Target" engaged. This allows the system to adjust where the rounds impact based on range and how fast the target is moving.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

Use the smallest Target square size.

Try to Lock the Target square at the front of the target (Direction where the target is moving) but comes down on how fast the Vehicle is moving.

It can also help to use the low RPM mode.

Wind has for sure an Impact aswell.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Also... what range were you trying to shoot at and with which ammo? I find the AP rounds to be more accurate.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I went about to try it again, doublechecking Ground Moving Target and Automaitc Target Heading (although this one shouldn't matter in this case, I would think).

I was at about 2 km. shooting HE rounds. Traffic was driving from left to right. Could not hit a single target.

BTW, could there be a glitch or a difference with tracking civilian traffic patterns on roads, instead of army units? In the program code?

And also, they civilian cars are driving pretty fast :) So maybe that's it.

Edited by Red_Donkey

I went about to try it again, doublechecking Ground Moving Target and Automaitc Target Heading (although this one shouldn't matter in this case, I would think).

I was at about 2 km. shooting HE rounds. Traffic was driving from left to right. Could not hit a single target.

BTW, could there be a glitch or a difference with tracking civilian traffic patterns on roads, instead of army units? In the program code?

Try and see what AP rounds do. I was messing around last night and it seemed like they had a higher velocity than HE rounds.

AP rounds also hit way behind moving target? Weird? Maybe the civilian cars are driving too fast.

I did get the Green Shkval Mod, but tried reversing to the original, of course, this didn't make any difference.

I don't know how to setup a mission yet, so can't test it on moving army vehicles.

But are you guys sure this works for you since the 2.5 update?

AP rounds also hit way behind moving target? Weird? Maybe the civilian cars are driving too fast.

I did get the Green Shkval Mod, but tried reversing to the original, of course, this didn't make any difference.

I don't know how to setup a mission yet, so can't test it on moving army vehicles.

But are you guys sure this works for you since the 2.5 update?

Tested on the Nevada map-open road/no obstacles. Used civilian traffic/M1025 HMMWV(@72km/h)/AAV-7(@72km/h). Tested both types of ammunition; HE at a range of 3-4km, from a hover and @250km/h. AP at a range of 1-2km, from a hover and @250km/h. Tested from side angle attack, 45 degree, and head-on. Each target was destroyed within one medium burst of 30mm @high rate.

Here are some tips that I use when engaging targets with the 30mm(Ground or air/stationary or moving).

(1) NEVER SHOOT CIVILIANS! They mean you no harm...

(2) moving targets - If for instance, your target is moving left to right. insure your "Target marker" on your HUD is to the left inside your "gate"(cannon motion limits box). The small circle in your HUD(Target marker) is NOT where your cannon is pointed when engaging moving targets, it is only where the target is. Therefore you need to allow room for the gun to "lead" the target(which is why you want the marker to the left inside the "gate"). If the target is moving right to left, then the marker should be on the right of the gate.

(3) The type of ammunition matters when it comes to leading the target. HE-T is a heavier and slower round(385g-950m/s), so it will require more lead on a moving target. AP-T is a lighter and faster round(304g-980m/s), and requires less lead.

(4) HE-T is effective to 4km, it will self-destruct at 4km. AP-T is effective to 2km, any further and it looses the velocity to penetrate any amount of armor. YOU WILL NOT KILL any tanks with AP, no matter how close you are or the amount of AP you shoot at it. (I actually need to correct that statement, I just killed an M1 tank from the back with a couple bursts of AP @ 600m)

(5) I have practiced A LOT using the "Standby Reticle Mode" with gun in "fixed" position, to get a feel for how much lead is necessary with the gun. It will give you a better sense when using the Automatic Tracking of the gun. ESPECIALLY when it comes to shooting down other aircraft! Sometimes the lead required to hit a moving air target is no where inside the "gate" of the HUD.

(6) The last thing I would recommend(and probably the most important). Is every time you shoot a burst at a moving target, re-lase the target to update the target tracking and range. You can do this by just hitting the "lock target" button(I think it's "Enter"). This will use up a lot of your precious laser time(I believe it is a total of 300sec), but you will also not be wasting ammunition missing the target.

**BY THE WAY, IT'S NOT A "MACHINE GUN". IT'S A AUTOMATIC CANNON**

Reaper6

Edited by Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

Here are some tips that I use when engaging targets with the 30mm(Ground or air/stationary or moving).

A lot of good information, even for us that have been flying since BS1 days!

Thanks!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Sorry for beating a dead horse here, but I still cant hit anything moving at all.

Ive uploaded a video here, maybe someone can see, what I am doing wrong. Its a bit foggy, but the Shkval easily locks onto target.

Autoturn to Target and Moving Ground Vehicle turned on. Laser on etc.

What am I doing wrong here? This is what happens everytime I shoot at moving targets. Havent hit a moving target since I got BS2. It didn't use to be a problem with BS1 back in the days, but probably me forgetting something crucial.

At one point, as you can see, the rounds seem to hit closer to the vehicle, but a bit above it. That's when I pressed extreme rudder to the right, forcing the gun to its limit, so that it kinda catches up... but usually the rounds fall those exact 5 meters behind everything that is moving. Left to right, right to left... doesn't matter.

Waddya think?

password: blackshark

https://vimeo.com/256826163

password: blackshark

Edited by Red_Donkey

Do not shoot civilians!!!

Please keep in mind that 2.5 is still beta. Maybe there is some bug to the civil traffic not giving away lead.

Build a convoy in the mission editor and try to shoot them. Use the UAZ 469 jeep which has no weapons or a Humvee without weapons.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Play on a MP (multiplayer) server. I like : 104th, F99th; I truly miss the old S-77th.

I have never liked any of the DCS pre-canned missions for Single Player in 7 years of playing this sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]