VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

ok - I got the Huion h640p tablet today. No Bluetooth, so its wired, but the tab with VRK works amazingly well. I can now write and manage a KB that is useable.

The author is a great guy who got me everything I needed before I even knew what I needed. The instructions he sent were clear and easy to use.

This just added a whole new level of immersion for me. The tablet cost me $40 bucks and worked out of the box with the custom driver. While not BT, the cable has a 90 at the end so its really easy to plug and unplug and is on the outside of my right knee. Lefties may want to look elsewhere. The h640p was new for this software, and is the perfect size. It is as long as my thigh and about as wide. I have a KB strap coming, but just setting it on my knee worked well.

Well done AMVI_Rider!!!

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

It feels good when a piece of code start working without tweaking. It tells you that you are on the right way :D

So we cleared also the H640P. Today I'm waiting for the G640S because it is driving me and Shindawg crazy. Once this device will work too I will release a public version.

There are some very good ideas coming from you guys!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

OK don't need help installing this now got it done now it's GREAT no to learn how to use it

Do you have Discord? It may be more interactive (and faster) chatting with us.

In my understanding you are using Rift S and Surface + pen. Your steps are:

1. switch DCS from OVR to SteamVR mode (I already sent you some instructions)

2. install VRK in server-client mode and check that the kneeboard appears in VR by launching VRK

If you complete both steps you just need to load a PDF doc in the surface and check that it appears in the VR, otherwise let me know where you stopped.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

Do you have Discord? It may be more interactive (and faster) chatting with us.

In my understanding you are using Rift S and Surface + pen. Your steps are:

1. switch DCS from OVR to SteamVR mode (I already sent you some instructions)

2. install VRK in server-client mode and check that the kneeboard appears in VR by launching VRK

If you complete both steps you just need to load a PDF doc in the surface and check that it appears in the VR, otherwise let me know where you stopped.

small steps so far I have it working to write on and see next is to re size then get doc on it. This is a great bit of code

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

can you make it larger and move it up a bit works were it is but for this old fart its a bit low would be nice if it floated so you could move it around

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

can you make it larger and move it up a bit works were it is but for this old fart its a bit low would be nice if it floated so you could move it around

See post #60. You realize the VR kneeboard enlarges substantially when you focus on it? that is, look at it and move your head towards it. One old fart to another.

If it feels "too low" you can raise it a little:

- raise it by increasing Y value (unit is cm, reference is your head)

- make it less horizontal by decreasing the pitch value (unit is degrees, reference is vertical)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Version 1.1.3.11 is out

[NEW] Custom driver for Huion pen tablets

[NEW] Zoom Out function

[NEW] Configurable delay in transition from focused to un-focused mode

[NEW] Clickable page change buttons

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

For Windows tablets with pen you have little options. Modern designs are too big and I don't know of any 8" Windows tablet with pen. Older models you may find used are: Asus M80TA, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Lenovo Yoga 2. There's also a Chuwi model but I can't remember which one it is.

If you meant Pen Tablets, in the small size, you may look at:

Huion H640P (6 tablet buttons)

Huion HS64 (only 4 tablet but cheap)

Wacom Intuos S (doesn't need the custom driver, BT option)

All three models have already been tested.

After testing both the windows tablet and the pen tablet I'm staying with the pen tablet because of some factors:

- pen tablets are thinner, lighter and rougher

- pens are usually bigger (with the exception of the surface pen) and better

- touch is good, very good, but just for zoom, pan and page change. With some practice the pen tablet is good enough

- pen tablets are cheaper and available on the market in various sizes and configurations

- programmable tablet buttons

- display is useless when you wear the HMD

Generally speaking, my suggestion is that if you have to buy, then go for a pen tablet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hi All, some pics and thoughts from my journey’s with VRK.

First off, a big thank you to Rider the creator of this amazing piece of software and a great guy.

I went with the option of using a pen tablet for the same reasons Rider has already described,

• Size options

• Weight

• Ease of use

• Price

My aim was to have something which would be as close as possible to what you would use IRL, and for this, my foundation was an actual pilot’s kneepad strap

You can get these from most local pilot supply shops, I’ve included the product link as a starting point. Pricing is pretty good at around $40 US. In my part of the world slightly more at $60 AU

https://www.flyboys.com/kneeboards.html

picture.php?albumid=1745&pictureid=11073

The pen tablet I’ve gone with is the HS64 by Huion

https://www.huiontablet.com/huion-hs64.html

You can get some great deals on Amazon for about $40 US

picture.php?albumid=1745&pictureid=11074

The writing area dimensions of this sweet little tablet match almost perfectly with the kneeboard I’m using, with the buttons extending (in my case as a lefty) over the edge slightly. It is limited to only having 4 programmable buttons (some others have 6 or more), but for what I want it’s just perfect.

The top 2 = TAB Up/Down

The bottom 2 = PAGE Up/Down

The space left in between makes for a nice wrist stabilizing area while I write something

Now let’s assemble

You can remove the clipboard from the kneeboard strap (the one on the right), what I’ve then done is use some Command M3 picture hanging strips and applied to both the back of the clipboard and Pen Tablet

https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/command/products/~/Command-Large-Picture-Hanging-Strips/?N=5924736+3294529207+3294737318&rt=rud

picture.php?albumid=1745&pictureid=11075

Once you've joined the two parts together, you can then use the clip part of the board to fasten it in place to the kneeboard strap (pic is of the underside of the kneeboard strap)

picture.php?albumid=1745&pictureid=11076

Lastly, a couple final pics showing it all together, and one final one which was using my initial choice the XP-PEN G640S as an example of how it could look using a tablet with the buttons on the top.

picture.php?albumid=1745&pictureid=11077

picture.php?albumid=1745&pictureid=11078

XP-PEN G640S

Note:

At the time of writing this, the G640S is currently not supported by VRK, so don’t buy it

picture.php?albumid=1745&pictureid=11079

What else can I say except this application is revolutionizing the way I fly DCS in VR, both as a mission and training tool. Hope this helps people make the right decision for them.

Have fun and safe flying

shindawg

Edited by shindawg

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rider,

This is such a great concept and execution. :thumbup: I think this Tool should get more attention. I think if you put this under Inputs/VR section of this forum, this should get a lot more visits.

I have some issues getting VRK Working. Two bigger issue and one small:

- The notepad area and the PDF's are wierdly distorted on my surface pro 4.I guess its the wierd aspect ratio of the Surface Pro (3:2). The distrotion is also transmitted to the server.

- I didnt see the Kneeboard ingame. I saw the kneeboard it a short time when oculus had crashed --> Showed up in SteamVR. But combined Oculus, SteamVR and DCS I couldnt find it. Tried to walk arround the cockpit to find it... no luck. Do you have to relaunch VRK after changing the position values or are they automaticly changed within VR? Can I preview the position within SteamVR without having DCS loaded?

- When I have the Surface Pro 4 in Tablet mode / portrait and go full screen, I have no way to get it back down to window mode. All the buttons dissapear. Could you add a button to get it back to window mode?

I'm not sure if strapping a hot Surface Pro 4 on my knee is a good idea. What kneeboard sized drawing tablet, which is supported by VRK, could you recommend? Doesnt have to be a cheap one. More interested in great functionality.

Many Thanks.

Best regards from Switzerland

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Hmm, thats interesting. I guess you are also using the most up to date version of VRK, correct?

I might try a reinstall on my Surface then. Wierd.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

Hey Gruman,

thank you, I thought later about the opportunity of posting in the input section too, but I'm not sure if forum policy allows cross-posting. Anyway if the tool will be good enough I think the voice will spread anyway by forum members :smilewink:

Can you post a screenshot of the distortion you are describing? I can try to replicate the issue as far as I better understand the issue.

In the upcoming 1.1.3.12 there will be the possibility to choose what side of the kneeboard to put the tabs (and the bookmarks) to better use the available extra space. Still, the distortion should not happen.

The kneeboard is visible on SteamVR home also, so, you can position it without launching DCS. In 1.1.3.12 there will be the apply button on the config window to ease the operation. It seems that DCS is not starting in SteamVR mode, have you put/checked the option in the launch link? Is DCS showing in the SteamVR "Display Mirror" window?

Two additional notes:

- each time you close the config window with Ok, the seated position is reset, so keep the visor in a position compatible with your head when you press ok. (I will change this behavior soon).

- if you look to the kneeboard from behind it will not show: I don't know yet how to make the overlay double-sided.

I voluntary didn't put any button to go back to win mode to avoid hitting it by mistake (same applies for the upper toolbar that can be called back with Ctrl-Alt-T). The way it is supposed to go back to windows apps is to use windows button of your device. Then operate via windows taskbar. Is physical windows button available on the surface?

Anyway it is easy to put a button to switch from fullscreen to windowed if this is not enough for usability.

About pen tablets sizes it strictly depends on you and your cockpit. Bigger tablets are little invasive but I feel writing text easier. If you have space and on the side and you are tall enough it may be good. In my case (I'm 1.80m) the H950P takes almost the full length of my leg to the knee (see post #37).

The other size is the Intuos S / H640P / HS64 which is very appreciated by the community. There have a smaller drawing surface but they also fits very well for strapping.

My suggestion is to start with the small size. In the worst case you'll find writing less comfortable and you may switch to a bigger size (if cost is not a problem).

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Oh, the ability to read would make things a lot easier.

Yep, I definitly started DCS with Oculus Running and just had SteamVR passive in the background.

That explains a lot :). Will try the force_steam_VR command tonight. Will provide a screen of the distroted view as well, but I will try a reinstall on the Surface Pro 4 first.

Thanks for the tipps. Appreciate it.

Kaspersky wont let me install the VRK

Hi everybody,

i really like the idea of having a working kneeboard including the option to take notes. When i read about VRK, i ordered a kneeboard to strap on and also an Intuos S. Now the Problem. Kaspersky wont let me install the programm as it detects it as a keylogger and some kind of Win32 generic threat. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thnx

System

i9 9900K / Asus MAXIMUS XI Hero /

32GB DDR4-4400 / RTX 2080 ti / HOTAS Warthog / MFG Crosswind / Valve Index / HP Reverb / Vive Pro / PIMAX 5k+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My GData doesnt complain. Just add an exception for VRK and you should be good to go.

Please report about the usability of the Wacom Intuos S. Would be a nice option for me as well.

So, tried out. Launching DCS with STEAM VR worked (of course it did ;-)). The reinstall didnt help with the distrotion. Here is a link to a screenshot: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuUmp94NyNrf41FynrX8jFoznBg8?e=A2BJ5K.

When I try to write on the Surface Pro, the position of the pen isnt the same as on the kneeboard.

Thanks.

Edited by Gruman

Hi everybody,

i really like the idea of having a working kneeboard including the option to take notes. When i read about VRK, i ordered a kneeboard to strap on and also an Intuos S. Now the Problem. Kaspersky wont let me install the programm as it detects it as a keylogger and some kind of Win32 generic threat. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thnx

I just tried with Kasperky VirusDesk (passing all the files contained in the installation) and it reports that no issues were found.

This report may came from the heuristic engine of the AV, if you send me a screenshot of the AV message I can try to look deeper.

As Gruman suggested you can add VRK to the ignore list and just use it.

My GData doesnt complain. Just add an exception for VRK and you should be good to go.

Please report about the usability of the Wacom Intuos S. Would be a nice option for me as well.

So, tried out. Launching DCS with STEAM VR worked (of course it did ;-)). The reinstall didnt help with the distrotion. Here is a link to a screenshot: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuUmp94NyNrf41FynrX8jFoznBg8?e=A2BJ5K.

When I try to write on the Surface Pro, the position of the pen isnt the same as on the kneeboard.

Thanks.

It seems an aspect ratio problem, can you share your original PDF with me?

About the position, it's something I need to investigate: yours is not the first report on the pen/display offset.

One little thing: when you use the Surface be sure to have WinTab disabled.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

It seems an aspect ratio problem, can you share your original PDF with me?

About the position, it's something I need to investigate: yours is not the first report on the pen/display offset.

One little thing: when you use the Surface be sure to have WinTab disabled.

I think my pdf was a bad example. Its a PDF in Landscape I downloaded somewhere. I will try it with a better reference on Friday. But the same happens to a empty notepad.

What format of the PDF would be the best? DIN A4 or US Letter? Does it matter?

WinTab was disabled.

I will purchase a WACOM Intuos S until the weekend, so I wont use the surface in the future. This thing gets way to hot and since the battery is fubar anyway, I cannot use it for long (even plugged in). But I will provide the feedback to find the issue.

Thanks a lot.

I own the Intuos S, the pros:

- good quality

- tablet button are very well recognizable without looking (anyway on my Huion I put some tape close to buttons to recognize them)

- BT/battery option

the bad:

- tablet buttons are very sensitive, it happens sometimes to hit them by mistake

- cost is higher than Huions

- "only" 4 buttons

Pen operation is at par to Huions for VRK use.

VRK is measuring the document size and try to match it, but the expected layout of the document is portrait. I had a document similar to yours and I split it in two. Also, the 9-line is best used into a "Form" tab.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Currently looking at a second hand one which was barely used for 35€. So I expect it to be cheaper than trying to buy a Huions (Amazon doesnt deliver to Switzerland).

But Thank you :)