M2 NVme or SSD

dbestinfla

With all of the Mods and Terrains I just bought, it sure doesn't waste anytime filing up your storage. Especially when there is more to get. Halfway thru the download of the F-18, Supercarrier, an Su-33 the dreaded Storage Full stopped everything. I shimmied around and finished my download. And that's all I can do. So first thing in the morning I'm heading out for storage. My working SSd is 512GB. Now I'm reading about M2 and SATA

Question. Would another 512 be ok or should I beef it up to 1TB. I was looking at Amazon and saw this Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S500B. Is this a good one? But I would get the 1TB I think. Thanks for taking the time.

I own most of the planes and all heli and most maps. My dcs is 155GB large.

My advice buy a HD that is 1TB large if you can afford it, and then install all of your games on that harddisk instead of c:\

Example all my games are installed on d:\ so even if windows break down and i format c:\ then i dont have to download anything on d:\ again, but i can just install example steam ontop of steam on d:\steam and then all games work instant... and the same with dcs you dont even have to reinstall dcs just press play and activate your keys again.. that is it.. ;-)

Regarding m.2 or ssd.

For gaming SSD is good enough, actual there is 0 fps difference ingame once the game is loaded. Basicly you get a little bit faster loading time before a mission, and maybe a tiny bit faster when you load the map ingame the first time.. second time you load the map you wont see any difference in speed.

M.2 is more expensive than ssd.

So if i where you get a 1tb or 2tb ssd instead than an m2 harddisk.

PS:.. Now a days modern video games are HUGE, I really recommend to buy a 2tb harddisk if you can afford it... Example dcs is 155gb,, read dead redemption is 115gb, ect ect so if you own 10 AAA titles then the 1tb harddisk is full very fast... Just saying buy the 2TB hd if you can afford it.

OR a 256gb m2 for windows on c:\ and a 1tb or 2tb SSD d:\ for games and software. That would be the optimal thing to do with best result.

Howdy,

With my last build i went M.2 and yes it was pricey but the difference for me going from SSD to M.2 was very noticeable and worth it. If you can afford it look at it as an investment.Load times are shorter and it just runs smoother.Best of luck.:thumbup:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

With all of the Mods and Terrains I just bought, it sure doesn't waste anytime filing up your storage. Especially when there is more to get. Halfway thru the download of the F-18, Supercarrier, an Su-33 the dreaded Storage Full stopped everything. I shimmied around and finished my download. And that's all I can do. So first thing in the morning I'm heading out for storage. My working SSd is 512GB. Now I'm reading about M2 and SATA

Question. Would another 512 be ok or should I beef it up to 1TB. I was looking at Amazon and saw this Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S500B. Is this a good one? But I would get the 1TB I think. Thanks for taking the time.

I would go with 1TB SSD. I did some testing running DCS on SSD and NVMe. There was zero difference. All the load times, etc varied by a second one way or the other. I typed up the timing for various aircraft and mission load times in the ED Forums » English » Reality » PC Hardware and Related Software forum.

Found it: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3740017&postcount=17

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Did you check your motherboard if it supports enough PCI-E lanes to actually use a m.2 NVME full potential? Whats your Motherboard? How many m.2 Slots available?

I would mainly recommend running Windows on the NVME, just to get the most smoothest performance in everyday use. A good quality SSD will work perfectly for DCS.

If you get a 1TB NVME you can install Windows AND DCS on the one drive. But if downloading 155GB is a concern for you, than definitly try to have a backup anywhere else.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Factors to consider:

-Your system upgrade/build cycles

-How much space you need

-Your budget

-Cost of cables/mounting hardware if you go SATA vs available M.2 slots

-Your other performance needs

970 EVO Plus is dramatically faster hardware but slightly pricy. 1TB sounds like a good pick but it depends on your needs. Check if they still sell 970 EVO at a lower price, the performance difference to Plus is not big...

One option could be to move other storage to a regular HDD.

The results from hansangb are interesting. Could be that the disk is no longer the bottleneck in loading once you have a decent SSD (there are performance differences between models) but there is some processing which requires eg. the CPU?

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Not so long ago I moved DCS from SSD to new 1TB M2 NVME.

I haven't noticed almost any improvement speed wise, apart from maybe slightly shorter load times.

Tested both drives, NVME is much faster, so it is configured correctly, but still it did not make THAT much difference with DCS.

Edited by veenee

So many modules, so little time...

www.mikphotography.com

Well, I guess that is to be expected. CPU won't be able to take advantage of the extra data speed without propper multi-core support in DCS.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

First consider how many versions, mods and maps you (will) have in the near future. With stable and openbeta in parallel 512 isn't that much and if you can afford a 1 TB SSD it should be enough for the next couple upgrades and maps. Depending on how many other games you play and install, this definitely is a better choice than a 512GB NVME, as it is not that much faster.

In addition to the SSD I would regularly have a look at things like Multiplayer trackfiles, TacView files in your user profile and the bkp folders in the DCS program folder. These can quickly take up considerable space and usually you don't need them after debriefing.

I just recently freed up a couple gigabytes of old tracks and TacViews from the last 2 years... ;)

P.S.: In general it is a great feature to have the multiplayer trackfiles and especially TacViews available. You just need to know, so you can clean it up from time to time...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I just went from a 500 GB SSD to 2TB PCI M.2. The different isn't huge, and as of right now the only things on the M.2 are the OS and DCS. I'd say a SSD is fine unless you want the absolute best load times even if it's only a couple of seconds. As for size, what do you need to store besides DCS? 500 should be enough for DCS alone. If you have to store other things, go 1 TB.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I went from a 500GB EVO 860 SSD to a Crucial 1 TB M.2. The sim runs the same, but the load times are a huge difference. The 860 took about a minute to load into the F-14 freeflight mission where the M.2 takes about 15 seconds. Granted, the Crucial only cost me $99 US when I picked it up which was a huge steal.

Why is the rum always gone!?!?!?!

I was looking at Amazon and saw this Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S500B. Is this a good one? But I would get the 1TB I think. Thanks for taking the time.

Forgot to mention this is the same drive I have. I've only had it for a week, but so far so good. It's about as fast as you can get. In general I've had good experiences with Samsung.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Did you check your motherboard if it supports enough PCI-E lanes to actually use a m.2 NVME full potential? Whats your Motherboard? How many m.2 Slots available?

I would mainly recommend running Windows on the NVME, just to get the most smoothest performance in everyday use. A good quality SSD will work perfectly for DCS.

If you get a 1TB NVME you can install Windows AND DCS on the one drive. But if downloading 155GB is a concern for you, than definitly try to have a backup anywhere else.

EVGA Z370 Classified and uses Gen3 speeds.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

EVGA Z370 Classified and uses Gen3 speeds.

The question was ment for the topic creator, not to question your performance results ;).

Had a discussion couple months ago with somebody who wanted to put a PCI-E M.2 externsion card into his PCI-E 2.0 slots to use a NVME, which is rather pointless.

I'm new to DCS but have been flying P3D for years and that can be huge with all the add-ons. For DCS I just bought a 500GB NVME and used the second slot on my Asus MB - runs like a dream currently - I got mine from Scan Computers in the UK for about £60. I won't put anything else on it except DCS.

I've got a 256 NVME for DCS and it made a noticeable but not huge difference overall. Since they are easy to fit and install, and the use case was specific to DCS, I felt it was justified as the space and power requirements are very low, my PC has specific slots for them, there is less wires going around the case and I use a mix of cheap physical drives, SSD and NVME together depending on the data. Also as Shagrat said, you should plan your storage.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Hello, I'm getting ready to get a system together and I have a question regarding the drive around. The system im interested in has a 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, will this be good to run both main system and DCS. I can choose the option of a dual dual drive which is a 1tb NVMe and a 1 sata which i will sht can the sata and replace with a Samsung Solid State Drive 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 1TB. Not sure which route to go. I won't be doing much on the main drive and I'll be getting this system mainly for DCS. So my question again is that of the 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD , can I use this for both main and DCS. Thanks for any info. i'm getting excited. Oh this system will be from Dell.. Alienware , thrustmaster warthog stick and throttle, alienware keyboard and a 1tb samsung ssd just in case for around $3300 us

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1TB M.2 DRIVE for primary drive...Large SSD for storage unless you can afford a second M.2 drive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Yeah Sierra99 I gotcha thx. I was just thinking if this machine will be solely for DCS that I can just run it with the NVMe primarily. So I’m getting that DCS should run only by itself on a separate drive. Man I’m so new to this it sucks. Thx:thumbup:

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

There should be no noticable difference between 1 or 2 drives. Don't overthink it. You want fast storage for both system and DCS. 2 drives give you more options to move data around. Since it's mostly for DCS why 2TB? Seems excessive.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

M.2 is much faster and cheaper. But you have limited capabilities to install them and multiple starts to consume your PCI-E lines...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

There should be no noticable difference between 1 or 2 drives. Don't overthink it. You want fast storage for both system and DCS. 2 drives give you more options to move data around. Since it's mostly for DCS why 2TB? Seems excessive.

Yeah, well what I guess i was trying to say that if I went with the single drive 2T NVMe. would I even need a second ssd drive. Just run everything plus DCS on that 2T NVMe. Dang ! I never talked any kind of this computer stuff like this ever until I got into this DCS sim. haha!

Thx!!

Start Date April 2020 

Everyone says "you won't notice a difference", but for me going from a regular SSD to an NVMe for DCS was a HUGE difference in loading time.

Good to know and i'll take your advice thx !!!

Start Date April 2020