Anyone else get a VirPil VFX?

r4y30n

Looks nice! How does the quality compare to the TMWH? . I've read the grip is mostly PU plastic, does it still feel good in your hand? Thinking about getting one too, the lack of reviews though holds me off a little.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

One of our testers has it, and he is very convinced by it. The "plastic" is not just plastic, it is very durable and has a great feel, in parts it feels much more sturdier (switches) than the WH, I personally own the t50. virpil in general is top notch and you cannot go wrong.

If you are looking for an alternative, VKB will also bring out a tomcat stick, which will equally be top notch imo, plus this one uses our accurate laser scans for the stick.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Yeah, like Mike said, it’s very solid plastic and I like that it’s not cold every time I grab it like a metal grip. Switches are all very solid, the second detent of the trigger is super crisp.

The only weird thing is the brake lever axis doesn’t do much until about ⅓ of the way through the throw but it’s possible I just need to recalibrate it.

Yeah, like Mike said, it’s very solid plastic and I like that it’s not cold every time I grab it like a metal grip. Switches are all very solid, the second detent of the trigger is super crisp.

The only weird thing is the brake lever axis doesn’t do much until about ⅓ of the way through the throw but it’s possible I just need to recalibrate it.

Think the brake lever as you call it is a button not an axis on the Virpil VFX. Just like IRL the Tomcat stick has no axis on the paddle lever. It's there for Autopilot disengage and thats done with a button press if you pull the lever. Some Russian planes like Mig 21 and Mig 29 have the brakes on the stick, the Cat has toe brakes on the rudders.

I'm using VFX grip as well, and I like it so far, very solid build, nice and tactile. Can be easily used with gloves.

Weapon selector switch is made of metal, solid build, you have to press it in to go through "gate" and switch from OFF to GUN. Once you are in GUN it's easily switchable between GUN / SW / SP.

To put it back to OFF, you have to press through the "gate" again. It's a nice little feature, a safety measure.

However talking about trigger, I like TM Hornet stick trigger more, it has more punch. But it's still quite good, much better than TM Cougar was, and somewhat on par with TM Warthog grip buttons.

Another thing - I really like trim hat on VFX grip, it has a tactile clickiness to it, and it has a shape that allow you to actually press on a top / botttom / left / right of the hat itself, instead of only pushing against a top of a hat like in other grips, which is nice feature too.

Grip has 3 analog axis:

- AP disengage leaver (can be used as a break leaver on Russian planes)

- DLC wheel

- Grip twist (which is mechanically lockable)

So these axis work as actual axis when used on Virpil base, and all of these axis work as 2 buttons when used on a Warthog base.

I use my VFX grip with a Warthog base (AP disengage is a button on a Tomcat anyway, Twist I locked and don't use, and DLC wheel works excellent as 2 buttons).

Apart for the excellent Tomcat stick, I also found to VFX grip to work well as a RIO stick, I use weapon selector to switch between different hand-controller modes: IR/TV, RDR, DDD, TID

P.S. I also have Virpil base, but I use it in combination with my Warthog grip, as a side-stick to fly F-16, I actually like Warthog base + VFX grip combo more for my Tomcat

Edited by Mnemonic

Think the brake lever as you call it is a button not an axis on the Virpil VFX. Just like IRL the Tomcat stick has no axis on the paddle lever. It's there for Autopilot disengage and thats done with a button press if you pull the lever. Some Russian planes like Mig 21 and Mig 29 have the brakes on the stick, the Cat has toe brakes on the rudders.

It’s both. It’s an axis lever with a button at the end of its travel and thus it’s not a hundred percent accurate to the real stick. I have it set up for brakes the Russian way because it saved a hundred euros getting single axis pedals vs triple axis.

Neither offering is realistic to the real stick, because the paddle should be below the grip where an extension would be installed. The choice to make it an axis where the paddle is a simple switch in real life is a concession to overall usability. Both the Virpil VFX and VKB offering can be converted to simply use that contact as a switch.

Regarding the trigger, in lieu of an actual Otto drop in, I find I'm more comfortable putting the hammer down with the gentle comparative rocking of the VFX compared to the Hornet grip, even though the sensation is a bit more concrete than the WH in comparison because I find it to be more precise.

I have ordered mine along with the curved 20cm extension and the t50 base. Should be with me by Christmas...

PS. With T50 base one can use the newly released TM Hornet stick as well as the original TM Warthog which is identical to the one in the Falcon! You get a great quality 4-aircraft-capable base in one!

Edited by Belphe

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I mean, I have a Warthog compatible FFB stick, but it's old and probably not long for this too cruel world, I'm just baffled everyone else doesn't, especially with how much "immersion" gets bandied about. You'd think the Manufacturers would be climbing over each other to sell FFB, not just pumping out more spring centered industrial machine controls with airplane handles.

I mean, I have a Warthog compatible FFB stick, but it's old and probably not long for this too cruel world, I'm just baffled everyone else doesn't, especially with how much "immersion" gets bandied about. You'd think the Manufacturers would be climbing over each other to sell FFB, not just pumping out more spring centered industrial machine controls with airplane handles.

My understanding, licensing cost. Basically one company is squatting on the patents/copyrights that include FFB under a "haptic feedback" patent/copyright, and they mercilessly pursue anyone that doesn't pay to play. And if you're doing smaller, niche market sticks and bases like VKB/Virpil the cost to volume they sell would probably put a huge hole in their sales. So in cases like Fanatecs (racing wheels) or the above mentioned super spendy FFB stick bases, they just bank on low volume high pricing. And Fanatecs seems to have a pretty hefty following so I'd bet they move more than enough volume to cover it.

A larger company like Thrustmaster or Logitech *should* be able to license it and have a lower impact on their bottom line, but for whatever reason it seems they've decided not to pursue it.

Other comparison is Apple, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft including haptic feedback to include rumble and vibrations in their smartphones and console controllers. That's who the patent squatters are targeting because they can easily absorb the cost compared to how much they will make per device.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

"I have a Warthog compatible FFB stick"

Which one?

A Sidewinder FFB 2 with a Debolestis Warthog Adapter feeding to an MMJOY Arduino for the stick buttons.

It's not getting any younger. Someday I'm gonna get the big *pop* and that will be the end of that. And knowing my eBay luck I won't find another one.

No the patent for joystick stuff expired this summer. I have a Fanatec wheel and it's pretty fantastic and frustrating that you add one more axis and suddenly you're asking for the moon on a platter.

Well in that case, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Thrustmaster and Logitech have some kind of offering again. I'm sure there'd be R&D time needed, cost analysis, etc. for them to decide if it's worth it and what tiers to offer it at. Probably a longer effort for smaller shops.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]