Track replay is bugged...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two major problems make it difficult to use "Tracks" as "Video-Recordings".

Simply look into things like Shadowplay, Fraps, or any other screen recording software.

The track may help you in reshooting some nice effect shots, but it isn't a reliable archive of movie recordings. It never was, and it can't by design.

Thanks for the statement shagrat! :thumbup:

NVIDIA shadowplay will do the job on my machine starting from today.

I am not going to loose any more words on this issue, since NVIDIA solves 80% of the demands I have. I hope there are other simple solutions outta there for other players who don't own a GTX1070. :D

Kind regards,

TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

As I've never used shadowplay, fraps etc. I have to ask; Is it possible to change views during the replay when using shadowplay etc.?

It doesn't make much sense if you fly e.g. a full aerobatic sequence from the VC and you can't replay it e.g. from an external view afterwards.

No, as far as I'am aware it is a typical Video recording program. What you can do is try to fly the display and immediately after that use Replay with the track. If you don't have wind in the mission it likely plays correct.

Or try to ask Glowing Amraam, Bunyap, Rakuzard, or any of the other DCS video guys, how they do the recordings and what magic is involved. :dunno:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thanx for the quick reply and the tips, but as mentioned before, even in missions without any wind a simple traffic pattern with the MiG-21 or Viggen doesn't replay correctly most of the time.

I'm lucky that the F-5 is my preferred plane because for some reason, regardless of the maneuvering involved, its tracks always replay correctly.

Leathernecks ultra realistic dynamic tear & wear modeling? Your plane performs a tad bit different every time?

I recorded a quick demonstration in a Bf.109 yesterday (Win10 Game Recording feature... Shitty like hell) and used the Track to record the externals, directly after the flight, no problem there, either...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Nope. This has nothing to to with tear and wear. Fly a pattern in clear weather without wind with e.g. the MiG-21 and replay the flight just a single time.

(Never tried to replay a track twice if it doesn't resemble the actual flight).

Chances are that

a) the MiG crashes already during takeoff due to leaving the runway.

b) it does takeoff but during the final turn it grossly overshoots the centerline and lands a runway width or even more displaced in the dirt.

c) it does perform a flight without crashing with a similar track replayed as actually flown.

The L-39 replays do work rather reliable, like the F-5, but the L-39 is way too underpowered to be fun to fly for me.

The MiG-21 is an odd duck. Half the time, when you enter the cockpit, you roll slightly forward during a runway takeoff start and then stop. The replay never shows it happening, however. And, as you say, no MiG-21 track plays back correctly, regardless of how simple. Even a simple takeoff has errors by the time you reach rotation speed.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

As I've never used shadowplay, fraps etc. I have to ask; Is it possible to change views during the replay when using shadowplay etc.?

It doesn't make much sense if you fly e.g. a full aerobatic sequence from the VC and you can't replay it e.g. from an external view afterwards.

I usually record using OBS from my in-game perspective. Then if the track replay works at all I grab some external footage etc. But lately I can't even be bothered with even wasting my time as 99.9% of the time the track replay will not work reliably enough. Its just a waste of time trying.

• 2 weeks later...

I tested FC2 and even simple, short missions (perfectly lined up 5Km away from carrier landing, perfectly lined up runway rocket attack, etc) played back wrong. Even without time compression or unusual weather, same thing. Sometimes the exact same track played back correctly once and then incorrectly the next try...maddening.

Wanted to follow up something interesting I've noticed, this is specific to FC2 though it may also have carried through to DCS. I've been testing track recording on a very simple mission with an Su33 and the Kuznetsov, no AI units in the mission.

1) Simple mission with Su33 beginning in the air, already lined up with carrier and landing: Track recording incorrect virtually 100% of the time...successful traps consistently become the Su33 lined up about 10 meters wide of the carrier.

2) Same mission as above but with AI rather than player assigned to Su33: Track recording correct 100% of the time. Time acceleration makes no difference, track always records properly.

3) Player controlled Su33 takes off from land base and then lands on carrier: Track recording correct 100% of the time! Time acceleration and extreme control inputs have no negative effects on recorded track.

I haven't tested every possible thing obviously, but it sure seems that carrier traps from a player controlled land base record much better than traps beginning in the air.

Also, it's been said the development team uses tracks as a debugging tool. Since incorrect tracks seem to have begun in the first FC release, the team has likely spent hundreds of hours dealing with this and it would be incredibly helpful if someone from the development team could share their experiences on what things make the track recordings inaccurate :thumbup:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

The recording likely isn't inaccurate, the replay seems to cause erratic results.

This is not about being pedantic, but an important fact to understand, where the root cause is located. When playing back the system tries to replicate the exact same inputs and controls... That is where something changes the result in the sim, it seems.

Shagrat

This is not about being pedantic, but an important fact to understand, where the root cause is located. When playing back the system tries to replicate the exact same inputs and controls... That is where something changes the result in the sim, it seems.

Ya, you're right. I was just hoping that by trying many different approaches I could make some sense out of why a track goes bad to know how to work around it. I was just messing with this more today and while I'm sure it's not the magic bullet, it definitely seems my replays are more likely to be inaccurate if I start the mission in the air rather than taking off from a land based airfield :smilewink:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

Ya, you're right. I was just hoping that by trying many different approaches I could make some sense out of why a track goes bad to know how to work around it. I was just messing with this more today and while I'm sure it's not the magic bullet, it definitely seems my replays are more likely to be inaccurate if I start the mission in the air rather than taking off from a land based airfield :smilewink:

Its just luck of the draw. What they do is record all "inputs" (joystick, whatever else). Then those are used to play back. If anything at all messes with that your replay is done with.

Instead they should be just recording position of all objects like TacView does. Then replaying back would be a simple and would work every single time.

I know their response is that they do this to be able to debug issues with inputs and whatever else. But they should just call that debug and create a new feature called replay which does what tacview does. They can leave the other as a debug or combine the two.

• 3 weeks later...

Have track files gotten better with 2.5? I just flew a sightseeing flight at low level with multiple twists and turns (about 30-40 minutes long) with dynamic weather that included 30 knot winds and it played back exactly, including the landing. This is SP.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

:( That's too bad. I was hoping. The Su-27 can be pretty decent about it but it's been a l-o-n-g time since wind of any sort and dynamic weather, especially, didn't immediately screw it up.

This actually was a longer flight than I first thought, when I looked back. Took off from Gelendzhik, flew low level up the shoreline and over to the Crimea, returned along the Sea of Azov shoreline, turned in at what, in the real world, would be the Kuban River delta and serpentined along the river's length up to Krasnodar where I landed at Krasnodar-Central. The landing lined up exactly as I remembered and touch down was at the same point. I was amazed.

Given the weather alone, pre-2.5 I doubt I'd have even made it to the runway. So I'm still hoping something might have changed for the better. If so, though, it hasn't had the same impact across the board. Guess I shouldn't get too excited.

_____

Given the weather alone, pre-2.5 I doubt I'd have even made it to the runway. So I'm still hoping something might have changed for the better. If so, though, it hasn't had the same impact across the board. Guess I shouldn't get too excited.

Can't really comment on DCS track replay accuracy these days as I've been exclusively flying FC2 the past couple months, but I've noticed what appears to be a consistent situation. I've recorded about 50 track replays in that time and starting a mission in the air with the Su33 or Su25T often leads to a bugged replay (especially with the Su33); however, I haven't had a single problem when beginning missions on the ground or carrier. This includes recording heavy time compression on the replays :thumbup:

That said, my missions are generally very simple with very few enemy AI moving parts, so I don't know if I've found a magic bullet that would make any difference in DCS, but it seems to be true in FC2...so far anyway :lol:

Edited by WytchCrypt

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried flying NOT using the export LUA or sending and receiving input received from multi-monitors, to see if the vanilla one-screen simple input works? Even if it is a result, who would fly this way! Possible external inputs accessed while in replay corrupts the data, or data rates too high in violent maneuvers for program to cope.

Has anyone tried flying NOT using the export LUA or sending and receiving input received from multi-monitors, to see if the vanilla one-screen simple input works? Even if it is a result, who would fly this way! Possible external inputs accessed while in replay corrupts the data, or data rates too high in violent maneuvers for program to cope.

Nope. Tracks are still corrupted randomly.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Still corrupt so doesn’t matter.

Its a bug btw track works if your spit is air start.

Suspect its something to do with "fudged physics" for tail draggers on the ground. The fudge isn't recorded or is out of sync with control inputs mebbe.

I dunno, that's my theory.

Airstarts fine. Just pitched around and dropped an extended two wheeler, the track is great until I take off for a second run... attached.

NVLanding.trk

The FALSE is real, but it's not THRUTH right?

Intel i7 8700K OC4.4GHz | 16GB | GTX1080Ti | Logitech G940 | TrackIR5 |

1st time I watched the track landed fine, stopped centre of runway, on repeat views things start to go wrong as I come to a stop. Always end up tipped and off runway around the time aerodynamics gives way to ground-dynamics. (<Spit pilots will know what I mean)

I noticed also that trimmer changes in game are reflected on my stick at replay. (FFB stick) I unplugged the stick but makes no noticble difference in game.

Track corruption in the Spitfire is definately related to ground physics.

The FALSE is real, but it's not THRUTH right?

Intel i7 8700K OC4.4GHz | 16GB | GTX1080Ti | Logitech G940 | TrackIR5 |