2.5 skins- lost my P-51 directory?

chris455

Gentlemen,

I recently tried to install a skin for my P-51D, and it seems that now that I am using DCS 2.5, I no longer have a P-51 liveries folder. In DCS/Coremods/aircraft, my F-86 shows up just fine, and I can install skins for it, so I know that this is the correct path. But my Mustang folder just went "poof."

Can someone share with me the exact syntax for the naming of the p-51 folders e.g, "Coremods/aircraft/P-51/Liveries/P-51D" or whatever it exactly is, so I can create a new folder for my skins?

I would be indebted. Thanks and have a great weekend all! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Remembering Arlie "Jack" Campbell, US Army Air Forces, WWII. Well done dad, rest in peace.

Liveries shouldn't be added to your install folder. You should add it via saved games.

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\P-51D

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I won't be able to help, as I've never used this location for custom skins.

Looks like it went poof indeed. Not all aircraft store their default skins there, however.

Mind you, you can put your skins in three optional places (coremods, bazar or Saved Games), any particular reason why you insist on Coremods one?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The original location for P-51D skins was in:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries\P-51D

It still works from there, but like Grimes said, SAVED GAMES is the folder structure that ED wants all personalized files in.

• 1 month later...
Who has these "skins" and where can they be accessed?

They are created by users with graphics design abilities, and shared for free on the "User Files" section of this website ... take a look:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=6&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=85&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 months later...
I seem to have a lot of skins for the hornet especially when I look in coremods. However in game either in mission or mission builder there is hardly any.

Any thoughts would be welcome

When you create a skin, you can state for which countries it will be available, so if set your country to, say, france, the Mission editor will not show skins meant for other countries.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Couple of things

I hate the countries limitation. When I download a skin the first thing I now do is erase the countries line in the description.lua. The skin will then show up regardless of the country. I name the skin by aircraft and airforce then the original title so I know which skin belongs with which particular country if I want to be geographically correct.

I use OVGME for the majority of my downloaded skins but keep some of the ones I really like in saved games. The path I use is Bazar/Liveries/P-51D

If I see a skin I really like in the game folders I make a separate copy just to avoid things like updates wiping skins I don't want to loose.

The main thing is to back up things like skins and settings, to often a glitch will wipe them out leaving you without skins and hours trying to re-input settings

I hate the countries limitation. When I download a skin the first thing I now do is erase the countries line in the description.lua. The skin will then show up regardless of the country.

:) i do a lot of mission editing, so I like the country parameter, as it is much easier to select a livery from a short list than from one with dozens of skins.

I'm not saying it's not got its uses Rudel I can see the point of it

I just spent yesterday eliminating the country parameter from all my skins and I have a lot.

I would agree if all the skinners stuck to some sort of convention but they don't. I'm not complaining about it I am grateful for all the beautiful artwork given to us for free. It's just an observation, when I was finding skins for example where the livery was for one country and the "country" parameter was for another (it happens a lot).

I was finding some beautiful skins I didn't know I had

Horses for courses & God help us if we were all the same, it just does not suit my needs that's not to say it's not really useful for others. The brilliant thing is DCS has given us the choice to use the feature or ditch it