DCS World 2.5.x Caucasus Terrain Textures

Just use Ovgme or the like and take it off before you update. reinstall after update completed. Matter of a few mouse clicks. Works fine for me.

Asus Prime 390A, Intel I7-8700k@4.8ghz, 32g ram, Nvidia EVGA GeForce RTX 2070, Track IR5, SSD(DCS dedicated), HDD for Win 10. TM Warthog 78051 Track IR5 Thrustmaster pedels

Just use Ovgme or the like and take it off before you update. reinstall after update completed. Matter of a few mouse clicks. Works fine for me.

i dont know what that is, i just manually install everything so i have more control.

btw yo dude i'm in Louisville too, small world! if you saw an R22 helicopter flying around at all today that was me :pilotfly:

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

i dont know what that is, i just manually install everything so i have more control.

If you just copying mod files into the DCS subfolders without making a backup instead of using proper manager, you have absolutely no control especially after each update ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Pedro is right. If you copy a mod into \DCS it overwrites the original files -- they will be lost, and the only way to get them back is to do a repair.

When you then allow an update to run, all the mod files you have installed will be moved to \DCS\_BackupX .

OvGME and JSGME programs are Generic Mod Enablers, which allow you to actually manage the mods you wish to use.

Basically, when you configure a GME to manage a mod, they also manage the original installation files. So when you tell it to implement a mod consisting of for example \DCS\Mod\tech\some_files before the mod file 'some_files' is copied into \DCS the original 'some_file' is copied to a safe place, and only then is the mod file copied into \DCS .

You can later tell the GME to remove the mod, in which case the mod file(s) are removed and the original files are moved back into their original locations.

This is all done with simple clicks in the GME, and all this power and safety is absolutely free :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

If you just copying mod files into the DCS subfolders without making a backup instead of using proper manager, you have absolutely no control especially after each update ;)

that's true. however most mods these days go in the <user>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\ folder so updates don't affect them. but some mods still have to go in the main DCS folder, and those are affected. then during update DCS will realize those aren't supposed to be there and stick them all in the $backup folder. it works for me :P

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

that's true. however most mods these days go in the <user>\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\ folder so updates don't affect them. but some mods still have to go in the main DCS folder, and those are affected. then during update DCS will realize those aren't supposed to be there and stick them all in the $backup folder. it works for me :P

Fair enough :thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had DCS A10-c before DCS world and with the upcoming f14 module I decided to check out DCS world. I was instantly surprised at the somewhat lacking terrain. My instant reaction was "well after 7 years I figured this would look better"

One of the first things I did was look to see if I was missing any detail settings because I was sure it could look better and came across this post. I installed this update and was like "yeah there we go"

Thank you Mustang for taking the time to improve this!

-Gun

Hi Mustang,

Thanks again for your hard work!! :thumbup:

I wonder if there's any chance you would consider adding "Colored Roofs" to your great terrain,

as in the obsolete but great mod by Cobac : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=168266 ??

Maybe as an optional addition to your mod? (if it would hurt slow machines)

It makes the city so much more realistic looking and not as dull as it is in default now.

It can also help coordinate attacks by pinpointing houses by their respective colors :music_whistling:

Thanks again!!

Ron

Callsign   SETUP

Hi, I installed the mod and afterwards some of the ground textures turned really low res and patches of grass which are normally full are not and blotchy. Im not sure whats happened, I installed it with ovgme and I removed it but now its the same without the mod.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

All the ground textures look like this, I have run repairs and cleanups

That looks nothing like it should, what settings are you using in options? Do you have terrain textures set to Low?

edit: that actually looks like the stock textures using the customised terrain.cfg.lua, could you try deleting that file from Mods\terrains\Caucasus directory and re-running a repair? it should replace that file with a fresh one.

Edited by Mustang

That looks nothing like it should, what settings are you using in options? Do you have terrain textures set to Low?

Currently re downloading just in case it got corrupted, I normally fly VR and only noticed it recently. Not sure what changed.

Screen_181102_160959.thumb.png.9c4b2b7e527e984b70111545878cbc95.png

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Currently re downloading just in case it got corrupted, I normally fly VR and only noticed it recently. Not sure what changed.

Yeah it looks like the terrain.cfg.lua from the mod is still being used while you're running stock textures so somethings mixed up, like I said try removing that file from Mods\terrains\Caucasus and doing a repair and everything should be back to normal.

Yeah it looks like the terrain.cfg.lua from the mod is still being used while you're running stock textures so somethings mixed up, like I said try removing that file from Mods\terrains\Caucasus and doing a repair and everything should be back to normal.

I tried that, i've re installed the mod because i'd rather have your textures! but this is how it looks even with the mod installed properly.

Screen_181102_164942.thumb.png.554a7e9fa1a846d4c2d7b12510463d78.png

I tried that, i've re installed the mod because i'd rather have your textures! but this is how it looks even with the mod installed properly.

This is by design unfortunately, it is done this way to mask the wider area texture with noise as you gain a bit more altitude.

you can change the terrain.cfg.lua to have more refined low level textures by reverting line 936 back to:

noise2PerSquare = 256,

I only wished there were more noise levels to adjust so this isn't a factor, so it's either one or the other.

This is by design unfortunately, it is done this way to mask the wider area texture with noise as you gain a bit more altitude.

you can change the terrain.cfg.lua to have more refined low level textures by reverting line 936 back to:

noise2PerSquare = 256,

I only wished there were more noise levels to adjust so this isn't a factor, so it's either one or the other.

Ah okay thanks! It's weird because it looks like it removes some of the grass as well!

does the download website mediafire install adware/viruses on our machines? when i clicked download i had several pop ups stating various shady things :(

does the download website mediafire install adware/viruses on our machines? when i clicked download i had several pop ups stating various shady things :(

Never seen anything like that, maybe because I use Adblock Plus on my browser along with Java NOSCRIPT.

Never seen anything like that, maybe because I use Adblock Plus on my browser along with Java NOSCRIPT.

i use adblock plus as well, but this time the site said it wouldn't allow me to download with adblock enabled so had to turn it off. and then the popups happened saying my drivers were out of date, click here and here, etc, etc. Gave me quite a startle.

just giving you a heads up as it my scare off some people and just feels altogether a little icky. i wonder if there's other better download sites to use for free that don't do that....? :geek:

Tend to agree about mediafire, some of their pop up adds get quite aggressive and won't allow you to close them except by clicking their offered button (no do not do it) or using task manager to kill iexplore.exe but haven't mentioned it as no one else has previously.

However, more troubling is for the first time ever ESET is flagging the rar file as unsafe and won't allow me to download it today. Is it possible mediafire plays silly buggers with packaged files at times? or that your upload could get hacked and someone has uploaded a replacement Mustang? Don't really know much about it but was really surprised by the ESET warning.

<edit> cleared cache and tried again. Realised this time that it is probably the unsecure certificate being used by mediafire which I block rather than allow just prior to doing the "save as" that is triggering the unsafe warning.

Edited by Stonehouse

OK I have updated the package so the terrain has more grass cover and is far less patchy, at least that's part of the issue solved.

Thanks for the help mustang! Great work