F/A-18C Armament Thread

Angelthunder

The TALD mimics the radar cross section of a fighter-sized aircraft by use of Lungberg lenses

Maybe it is Luneburg lens? I've never heard about Lungberg lense, so it is seemed to be an error.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a picture of a Marines F/A-18 deployed in Irak.

They have loaded Litening pod on center line station.

101013-M-5889H-005.jpg

I think it's rather a matter of deployed on the ground/ on aircraft carrier.

- ground => Litening

- aircraft carrier => ATFLIR on the left air intake.

I think that's what he meant,

When they are one the ship the use ATFLIR

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Because the Litening is bigger (longer and bigger in diam.) than the ATFLIR and does not fit the "Fuselage Adapter" Therefore it's mounted to the centerline to offer Optimal View.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

What an interesting chat this has turned out to be - thank you Skatezilla. I find this very curious - I would have expected the centreline station to be the desired spot for it so as to aid FOV and load symmetry. I guess there will be plenty of asymmetric load-outs in my DCS future! :thumbup:

Few aircraft have centrally mounted optics (if they aren't mounted in the nose anyway). Might be concerns over the front wheel kicking up debris or gravel and impacting the optics?

I think that's what he meant,

When they are one the ship the use ATFLIR

Correct :thumbup:

Few aircraft have centrally mounted optics (if they aren't mounted in the nose anyway). Might be concerns over the front wheel kicking up debris or gravel and impacting the optics?

Now that's a thought that never occurred to me. I think you may very well be onto something there.

When they are on the ground and before they land the OPTICS are Turned inside the unit to protect itself, they arent exposed, unless Sensor is activated intentionally.

Like I said, the Navy Replaced the AA/AAS-38 w/ the AN/ASQ-228, It was literally the same size, and allowed them to continue using a similar Fuselage Adapter, the AA/AAQ-228 will not fit into the Fuselage Adapter, it's too big, so instead of mounting it to a Wing Pylon, they mounted it to centerline station, the Marines got the AAQ-228s Cheap 2nd hand from the Airforce.

AA/AAS-38:

Length: 72 inches

Diameter: 13 Inches

Weight: 380 lbs

AN/ASQ-228:

Length :72 inches

Diameter: 13 Inches

Weight 420 lb

AN/AAQ-28:

Length: 87 inches

Diameter: 16 inches

Weight: 460 lbs 210 kg

Edited by SkateZilla

In MagzTV's latest Hornet video A2A weapons are missing from inner wing pylons, is this just an alpha thing or why it's like that?

4:50 for available weapons.

Good Catch. Also, the 120B not included on the LAU-115.

Time is exactly 4:54 and 5 min in to the video.

In MagzTV's latest Hornet video A2A weapons are missing from inner wing pylons, is this just an alpha thing or why it's like that?

4:50 for available weapons.

Good Catch. Also, the 120B not included on the LAU-115.

Time is exactly 4:54 and 5 min in to the video.

Thats not the in-game menu it's a video graphic,

That being said, AIM-120 and AIM-9X were already said to be added AFTER Early Access, and I believe recently AIM-7 as well has be confirmed to be after Early Access.

So What A2A Weapons would be on the 2 and 8 Stations?

-LAU-115C + AIM-120

-LAU-115C + AIM7

-LAU-115C+LAU-127 - 2x AIM-9X

Thats not the in-game menu it's a video graphic,

That being said, AIM-120 and AIM-9X were already said to be added AFTER Early Access, and I believe recently AIM-7 as well has be confirmed to be after Early Access.

So What A2A Weapons would be on the 2 and 8 Stations?

-LAU-115C + AIM-120

-LAU-115C + AIM7

-LAU-115C+LAU-127 - 2x AIM-9X

Though the aim-7 was back ?

Ya the inner pylons can hold the same A/A loadout as the outboard. Also double 120s on both IB/OB

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/F-18C_of_VX-4_with_8_AIM-120_missiles_in_1992.JPEG

Though the aim-7 was back ?

Ya the inner pylons can hold the same A/A loadout as the outboard. Also double 120s on both IB/OB

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/F-18C_of_VX-4_with_8_AIM-120_missiles_in_1992.JPEG

I know what the hornet's loadout capabilities are.

I heard the TALD will be available for the F/A-18C some day. I know how it works.. But what i do not understand is what happens when it has been fired and it has done it's mission.

Will it self destruct if it hasn't been shot down? Will it fly back to a certain point to be picked up again? Or will it just crash land, with the added risk that the enemy can capture it and reverse engineer it?

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Well it's not powered, so I assume it can't turn and fly back... Other than that I'm interested to learn how it behaves in flight. Good point about leaving it for the enemy to check out.

"Fighter pilots have ice in their veins. They don't have emotions. They think, anticipate. They know that fear and other concerns cloud your mind from what's going on and what you should be involved in." -Buzz Aldrin

Well it's not powered, so I assume it can't turn and fly back... Other than that I'm interested to learn how it behaves in flight. Good point about leaving it for the enemy to check out.

That's kind like saying you could reverse engineer a Toyota after it's been mangled by impacting a brick wall at 100mph... there's not going to be much left of the TALD after impact. I don't think this is a big concern.

Yea I've been thinking about this , it should be pretty easy to distinguish an aircraft from it since an aircraft can accelerate, unless you wantted to be really sneaky and disguise yourself as a TALD and slowly decend and loose speed. Going to be interesting for sure, I'm sure it will be more useful for SEAD ops.

That's kind like saying you could reverse engineer a Toyota after it's been mangled by impacting a brick wall at 100mph... there's not going to be much left of the TALD after impact. I don't think this is a big concern.

Sure they're not going to make the whole thing from just one TALD, but A) They probably aren't flying very fast when they hit the ground (Unless they are programmed to dive extra fast) and B) The idea is to shoot tons of them to simulate a much larger assault. You might not be able to reverse engineer a Toyota from one crash, but after 50 or 100...

"Fighter pilots have ice in their veins. They don't have emotions. They think, anticipate. They know that fear and other concerns cloud your mind from what's going on and what you should be involved in." -Buzz Aldrin

Great question about the TALD....maybe it has something inside to explode on impact?

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

ADM-141C uses Teledyne CAE J700-CA-400 turbojet

ADM-141C uses Teledyne CAE J700-CA-400 turbojet

I understood from the weekend update that all we were getting was the B variant? I suppose the weapons list does just list ADM-141 without any variants...

Navy Ordered 200 ADM-141C's in 1999.

I think it was mentioned we are getting the B w/ Chaff dispensing,. So A Glide Range of about 125km launched from altitude.

AFAIK they simply crashed into the ground, which destroyed a majority of it on impact, nothing sensitive in the design, it was deemed expendable.

Edited by SkateZilla