How to set up toggle switches (a tutorial)

However, when I started using TrackIR and now had two pieces of software that had to work alongside with DCS World, I had rather frequent malfunctions.

My experience with additional software and plenty of USB devices, the USB assignments f**k up.

I use

JoyIDs to check the ID of the joystick,

USBDeview to clean out the USB assignments and start over,

I've notices with many USB devices you can only use a certain sequence of ports or things go haywire, which is trial and error and then never change a successful way of assignments sequence.

I have a TMWH and a Logitech g940 together, Trackir and a MCPCombo, and a assortment of keyboard pads, race wheels etc. Windows 7 x64

When I would attach my G940 (FFB) to another USB port, things won't work.

I tried Win10 when it was introduced, what bad USB management that was, Win 8.1 better but not so stable USB management as slower Win 7. I'll try Win 10 again when I upgrade to a new motherboard, and hopefully it has improved.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

• 2 weeks later...
Just stumbled on this thread. 5 & 1/2 years later is there anyway I can setup toggles in the UI without having to do it manually like the OP explained? Thanks!

I discovered the hack that adds 128 (or 68 ) additional DX definitions to the standard TARGET profile, normally its limited to DX 32 which is way to few for TMWH,

so your 'virtual TMWH' runs out of UI assignments at the throttle pretty quickly (button 6 or something),

adding DX128 makes all/most TMWH 'positions' (also 'OFF") accessible through the UI

So, you load a target .tmc profile with the additional DX assignments,

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\scripts\targetdx128.tmh"

edit the .tmc header

"include "targetdx128.tmh" // (use expanded targetdx128.tmh instead of target.tmh - default Thrustmaster function code)

have targetdx128.tmh in your target script path

<"c:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\scripts">

et voila

many more TMWH ON/OFF accessible through the normal DCS config UI

(still takes some effort though till you've figured this out)

find the thread of the original poster about this, hidden deep, but its still confusing (but I use it though)

target dx128 128 DX BUTTONS.zip

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

• 1 month later...

I read all the topic to find solution for what I want to do without success. I have a Leobodnar card (BBI 32) and I want to simulate the action on the switch cover in my L-39. I Have a switch cover https://cdn.manomano.fr/couvercle-de-protection-tru-components-1587853-rouge-transparent-tc-r17-10b-1-pcs-T-2009294-5154240_1.jpg

I have a switch (on) off (on). (momentary on/off/monetary on) http://media.rs-online.com/t_large/F2519269-01.jpg

I want DCS accept the release action when I open the cover but DCS doesn't see it, it only accept off ==> on but not on ==> off.

Lines in default keyboard lua of L-39C are

{combos = {{key = 'End', reformers = {'RCtrl'}}}, down = electric_commands.L39C_Command_EngineStopSwCover_EXT, cockpit_device_id = devices.ELEC_INTERFACE, value_down = -1.0, name = _('Engine Stop Switch Cover - OPEN/CLOSE'), category = {_('Engine'), _('Left Console')}},

{ down = electric_commands.L39C_Command_EngineStopSwCover_EXT, cockpit_device_id = devices.ELEC_INTERFACE, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Engine Stop Switch Cover - OPEN'), category = {_('Engine'), _('Left Console')}},

{ down = electric_commands.L39C_Command_EngineStopSwCover_EXT, cockpit_device_id = devices.ELEC_INTERFACE, value_down = 0.0, name = _('Engine Stop Switch Cover - CLOSE'), category = {_('Engine'), _('Left Console')}},

I didn't find how to make DCS see switch goes from on to off when I open the cover :cry: and I want to make the same for Turbo switch cover :music_whistling:

Is it possible and if yes ...... how can I make it ?:helpsmilie:

++Morpheus

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

I read all the topic to find solution for what I want to do without success. I have a Leobodnar card (BBI 32) and I want to simulate the action on the switch cover in my L-39...

I didn't find how to make DCS see switch goes from on to off when I open the cover :cry: and I want to make the same for Turbo switch cover :music_whistling:

Is it possible and if yes ...... how can I make it ?:helpsmilie:

++Morpheus

I'm not totally sure I understand your intended switch combination. The easiest solution would be if the switch cover produced a maintained ON/OFF signal.

Also I'm not sure why you refer to the default.lua under "keyboard". I believe that your Bodnar board is seen by the game as a joystick-like device. In that case you should modify the default.lua under "Joystick".

So for a maintained cover switch you should add just one line to the default.lua under joystick:

{down = electric_commands.L39C_Command_EngineStopSwCover_EXT, up = electric_commands.L39C_Command_EngineStopSwCover_EXT, cockpit_device_id = devices.ELEC_INTERFACE, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Engine Stop Switch Cover 2-Pos OPEN/CLOSE'), category = {_('Engine'), _('Left Console')}},

This code assumes that the contact closes when you open the cover and stays closed until you close the cover.

If your contact operation is reversed then simply swap the "value-up"/"value_down so that they read "value_down = 0.0, value_up = 1.0".

Make sure you have ticked the parameter "Synchronize Cockpit controls with HOTAS Controls at Mission Start" under Options --> Miscellaneous.

Now if your cover switch is momentary ON1/OFF/ON2 then you don't need to customize anything. Just bind the "Open" side of your switch to "Engine Stop Switch Cover - OPEN" and the "Close" side of your switch to "Engine Stop Switch Cover - CLOSE".

If I have totally understood you, please PM me and we can have a conversation via Skype or telephone (I live in the Provence and I speak French)

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

@Morpheus:

Here is the solution I found by modifying the "default.lua" in the "joystick" folder. The following two lines of code should be added at the end of the block for the "Engine" category (around line 290) using Notepad++:

{down = electric_commands.L39C_Command_EngineSwCover_EXT, up = electric_commands.L39C_Command_EngineSw_EXT, cockpit_device_id = devices.ELEC_INTERFACE, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Eng. Start Button Cover - OPEN/Eng. START'), category = {_('Engine'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = electric_commands.L39C_Command_EngineSw_EXT,    up = electric_commands.L39C_Command_EngineSwCover_EXT,    cockpit_device_id = devices.ELEC_INTERFACE,    value_down = 0.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('Engine Start Button RELEASE/Cover CLOSE'),    category = {_('Engine'), _('Left Console')}},

These two lines combine elements from the original lines 262 -264.

They can be used with a momentary Up/Down toggle (Momentary ON1/OFF/Momentary ON2) or with 2 pushbuttons, i.e. effectively 2 momentary ON/OFF switches. Sequence of operation:

1. Toggle switch up (or push button 1): Switch cover opens.

2. Release toggle; it returns to the center position (or release pushbutton 1): Start button is pressed. Cover remains open.

3. Toggle switch down (or push button 2): Engine start button is released.

4. Release toggle (or release pushbutton 2): Switch cover closes.

After adding the code lines to the "default.lua" start DCS World and go to Options/Commands.

You will find two new command lines which you need to bind:

1. Eng. Start Button Cover - OPEN/Eng. START

This command line handles steps 1. and 2. of the sequence of operation.

2. Engine Start Button RELEASE/Cover CLOSE

This command line handles steps 3. and 4.

I looked at the other button/cover configurations and from what I can see they can be handled with the same approach.

Notes:

1. if you have the TM Warthog HOTAS then the folder "joystick" contains the files "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog.lua" and "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua". If you intend to use a switch on the TM WH throttle then you must add the code lines to the "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua".

2. don't worry about the number of spaces in the code lines. Spaces have no effect on the function. I tend to minimize them to keep the lines short.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...
Is there a way to assign the 3position flaps buttons in the L-39 to the flaps switch on the WARTHOG??

Yes. Read this thread.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Is there a way to assign the 3position flaps buttons in the L-39 to the flaps switch on the WARTHOG??

Yes you have to modify the file "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua" using Notepad++. The code lines below show first the 3 original lines in the .lua file under the comment "-- Flaps".

-- Flaps
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 1,    value_up = 4,    name = _('Flaps Flight Position'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 2,    value_up = 5,    name = _('Flaps TakeOff Position'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps,        value_down = 3,    value_up = 6,    name = _('Flaps Landing Position'),        category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
-- added HWF 12-Feb-2018
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, value_down = 1, value_up = 2, name = _('Flaps 3-Pos Flight/Takeoff'), category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps,    up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, value_down = 3, value_up = 2, name = _('Flaps 3-Pos Landing/Takeoff'), category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},

The last 3 lines show my additions, also beginning with a comment line. The easiest way to create the 2 new code lines is to copy and paste the original 1st and 3rd code line and editing them.

If you want to understand what you are doing I suggest you read the how-to document in post #214 of this thread posted 1-AUG-2016.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2862001&postcount=214

LeCuvier

Really thanks man , I've read it and learned a lot

I managed to make the Landing/Taxi light 3 positions switch work :

original:

{down = iCommandPlane_SpotSelect_switch,value_down = 1.0,name = _('Spotlight Switch - LANDING'),category = {_('Systems')}},

{down = iCommandPlane_SpotSelect_switch,value_down = -1.0,name = _('Spotlight Switch - TAXI'),category = {_('Systems')}},

{down = iCommandPlane_SpotSelect_switch,value_down = 0.0,name = _('Spotlight Switch - OFF'),category = {_('Systems')}},

my modifications:

{down = iCommandPlane_SpotSelect_switch, up = iCommandPlane_SpotSelect_switch,value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Spotlight Switch - LANDING'), category = {_('Systems')}},

{down = iCommandPlane_SpotSelect_switch, up = iCommandPlane_SpotSelect_switch,value_down = -1.0, value_up = 0.0,name = _('Spotlight Switch - TAXI'), category = {_('Systems')}},

-- Landing Gear

{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, value_down = 1, value_up =0, name = _('Landing Gear Handle, Up/Down'),category = {_('Systems')}},

-- Flaps

{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps, up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, value_down = 1, value_up = 2, name = _('Flaps Flight Position'), category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},

{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps, up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, value_down = 2, value_up = 5, name = _('Flaps TakeOff Position'), category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},

{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps, up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, value_down = 3, value_up = 2, name = _('Flaps Landing Position'), category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},

-- Auxiliary Switch Panel ----------------------

{down = lights_commands.L39C_Command_BANO_SteadyFlash_EXT,up = lights_commands.L39C_Command_BANO_SteadyFlash_EXT,cockpit_device_id = devices.LIGHTS,value_down = 0.0, value_up = 0.5 ,name = _('Navigation Lights Mode Control Switch - FLICKER'), category = {_('Auxiliary Switch Panel'), _('Only Front Cockpit')}}, {down = lights_commands.L39C_Command_BANO_SteadyFlash_EXT,up = lights_commands.L39C_Command_BANO_SteadyFlash_EXT,cockpit_device_id = devices.LIGHTS,value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.5 ,name = _('Navigation Lights Mode Control Switch - FIXED LIGHTING'), category = {_('Auxiliary Switch Panel'), _('Only Front Cockpit')}},

Edited by Gizmondo

You must have edited your original post while I was answering it...

Remember you must not have 2 lines with the same name! I guess that's why you had a problem.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Update of the tutorial document for the KA-50

I have updated the tutorial document to add a method that allows the use of maintained switches with the KA-50. The updated document file is in the original post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2862001&postcount=214

LeCuvier

• 1 month later...

Hello ! modified the release of flaps for MIG21 does not work in what error?

{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps, up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, value_down = 1, value_up = 2, name = _('Flaps Flight Position'), category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},

{down = iCommandPlaneFlaps, up = iCommandPlaneFlaps, value_down = 3, value_up = 2, name = _('Flaps Landing Position'), category = {_('Flight Control'), _('Left Console')}},

thanks in advance

Система 10 про. Железяки: Мать Z690M, ccd m2 500gb,  i5 12600, 3090 24gb., DDR4 64gb (2667), монитор LG C1 4K 120Hz 55, Opentrack.

Hello ! modified the release of flaps for MIG21 does not work in what error?

thanks in advance

You don't elaborate on what you are trying to achieve, so I guess you are trying to get 3-position flap control (flight/takeoff/landing). I achieved this with the these two lines:

{down=device_commands.Flaps0,up=device_commands.Flaps25,cockpit_device_id=devices.FLAPS,value_down=1.0,value_up=1.0,name ='Flaps 3-Pos Up',category='Flight Controls'},
{down=device_commands.Flaps45,up=device_commands.Flaps25,cockpit_device_id=devices.FLAPS,value_down=1.0,value_up=1.0,name='Flaps 3-Pos Down',category ='Flight Controls'},

This gives me 3-position flaps control with the flaps switch on my TM WH throttle. The middle position of the switch puts the flaps in take-off position.

If this is not what you want to do please explain! Best regards to Kursk

LeCuvier

Thanks, it works! You have understood correctly.

Система 10 про. Железяки: Мать Z690M, ccd m2 500gb,  i5 12600, 3090 24gb., DDR4 64gb (2667), монитор LG C1 4K 120Hz 55, Opentrack.

• 3 weeks later...
This might be a stupid question. But isnt this something ED could fix easy with a change in the controls options indstead og having to edit files?

Yes, and they should. But they don't. And so I follow he rule "help yourself so help you God!"

LeCuvier

This might be a stupid question. But isnt this something ED could fix easy with a change in the controls options indstead og having to edit files?
Only for the modules they provide themselves and within limitations of what the model can handle as input arguments.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Added key bind options for the F-5E

Here are some lines I added to my "default.lua" and "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua"

-- Lights 2-Position ON/OFF
{down = extlights_commands.Beacon, up = extlights_commands.Beacon, cockpit_device_id = devices.EXTLIGHTS_SYSTEM, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Exterior Lights Beacon 2-Pos ON/OFF'),    category = {_('Right Panels'), _('Lighting Control Panel')}},
{down = intlights_commands.FltInstr_knob, up = intlights_commands.FltInstr_knob, cockpit_device_id = devices.INTLIGHTS_SYSTEM, value_down =  1.0, value_up =  -1.0,    name = _('Flight Instr. Lights 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('Right Panels'), _('Lighting Control Panel')}},
{down = intlights_commands.EngInstr_knob, up = intlights_commands.EngInstr_knob, cockpit_device_id = devices.INTLIGHTS_SYSTEM, value_down =  1.0, value_up =  -1.0,    name = _('Engine Instr. Lights 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('Right Panels'), _('Lighting Control Panel')}},
{down = intlights_commands.Console_knob, up = intlights_commands.Console_knob, cockpit_device_id = devices.INTLIGHTS_SYSTEM, value_down =  1.0, value_up =  -1.0,    name = _('Console Lights 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('Right Panels'), _('Lighting Control Panel')}},
{down = intlights_commands.Flood_knob, up = intlights_commands.Flood_knob, cockpit_device_id = devices.INTLIGHTS_SYSTEM, value_down =  1.0, value_up =  -1.0,    name = _('Flood Lights 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('Right Panels'), _('Lighting Control Panel')}},
{down = intlights_commands.ArmtPanel_knob, up = intlights_commands.ArmtPanel_knob, cockpit_device_id = devices.INTLIGHTS_SYSTEM, value_down =  1.0, value_up =  -1.0,    name = _('Armament Panel Lights 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
-- for Altimeter Zero setting with a Rotary Encoder
{down = aau34_commands.AAU34_ClkCmd_ZeroSetting, cockpit_device_id = devices.AAU34, value_down = -1, name = _('Altimeter zero setting Rotary DECREASE'), category = {_('Instrument Panel')}},
{down = aau34_commands.AAU34_ClkCmd_ZeroSetting, cockpit_device_id = devices.AAU34, value_down = 1, name = _('Altimeter zero setting Rotary INCREASE'), category = {_('Instrument Panel')}},
-- for a 3-position Select Jettison switch (for use with the TM WH throttle this needs to go to the "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua")
{down = jettison_commands.SelectJettSw,    up = jettison_commands.SelectJettSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.JETTISON_SYSTEM, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0 , name = _('Select Jettison Switch - SELECT/OFF POS.'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{down = jettison_commands.SelectJettSw,    up = jettison_commands.SelectJettSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.JETTISON_SYSTEM, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 0.0 , name = _('Select Jettison Switch - ALL PYLONS/OFF POS.'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

The added Lights commands would normally require 2 pushbuttons or one Up/Down toggle (or an axis comand) each. I don't have enough of those, but my DSD button box has 6 maintained ON/OFF switches. My mod allows each light to be switched ON/OFF with one maintained switch.

The stock Altimeter Zero setting works ok with an UP/DOWN toggle, but I wanted a to use the Rotary Encoder on my DSD box, and that's extremely slow with the stock binding options. With my mod that works just fine.

For the Select Jettison I use the 3-position Autopilot switch on my TM WH throttle. Therefore those two lines need to go into the "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua".

LeCuvier

Only for the modules they provide themselves and within limitations of what the model can handle as input arguments.

My point is that this game/sim is best with a hotas setup than with a simple joystick. And all the higher end hotas have 2 and 3 Way buttons. So why not add support for those buttons in controls setup instead of having people trying to figure out how to script control files. It shouldt be that hard i would think.

ED themselves are not doing a sterling job in this domain. I have added a good number of lines in Bf-109, FW-190D and KA-50 in order to enable use of maintained ON/OFF switches on throttle and button box.

In most cases I can combine two existing commands into a 2-position ON/OFF command. In other cases I have to search for the function in "clickabledata.lua" and create a command in "default.lua" using what I found in "clickabledata.lua".

In my opinion, the developers should enable the use of the same switch types via game controllers as found in the simulated cockpits. In other words, if the cockpit has a maintained ON/OFF switch for a function, there should be a control binding option for the same type of switch.

And ED should oblige 3rd party developers to abide with that rule.

There is also room for improvement in the commands that turn a knob clockwise or counter-clockwise. In many cases these are extremely slow, or so "fast" that it's practically impossible to make the desired adjustment accurately. Again, this can be correct in many cases, either by changing the command value in "default.lua" or the gain in "clickabledata.lua". This indicates to me that these commands were not sufficiently tested before release.

All of this creates a lot of unnecessary work and frustration for the users.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

How to program Engine CUTOFF/Engine START on the Fw190D

Hi,

I cannot reasonably state to know what exactly I am doing while tampering with the lua-files here, however:

I want to program the warthog-throttle in a way that BTN29 gives me a behaviour like the throttle of the Fw190:

When the throttle is pulled over the notch towards IDLE (BTN29 activated) the engine should be CUTOFF, when pulled over the notch towards increasing throttle, it should trigger 'Throttle to start'.

According to the HOWTO I inserted a line into the default.lua:

{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN29'}}, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINE_SYSTEM, down = device_commands.Button_1, value_down = 1.0, up = device_commands.Button_2, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Engine CUTOFF'), category = _('Engine Control')},

Obviously, it didn't work. Any hints?

Regards,

flankerrider

flankerrider

CPU | AMD Ryzen 5900X | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics | ASUS 1080 | Storage | Crucial_CT1050MX300SSD1 (1TB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD, OPAL, SED) | SAMSUNG MZVPV512HDGL-00000 (512.1GB, PCIe3x4/NVMe, M.2, SSD, SED) Wheelbase | Fanatec Clubsport V2 Wheels | Fanatec Podium Classic | Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V2 | Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1 Monitor | LG 2560x1080 VR Headset | HP Reverb VR1000 2nd batch | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Recaro-seat (ex-Lancia) | MonsterTech Rig |