}              

UIMainView = GUI

or something

try different

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

if there’s a mixup rendering

not tested, hope this works for you

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I know I'm getting older and my mind isn't what it used to be I am having a hell of a time figuring out something that someone else might find absolutely simple. I'm wanting to operate DCS black shark KA-50 in DCS world 1.5.4 with two monitors the main one displaying the normal cockpit and the second on displaying only Abris.

I'm using win 7 ultimate the main monitor is 1920 X 1080 secondary is 1600X900

I don't care if the abris isn't perfectly displayed as far as aspect ratio but I would like the whole Abris to be displayed I guess with black bars on each side to maintain some normal aspect ratio for the abris.

Every time I've followed this guide I keep coming up an extra wide main and no abris.

The combined size I'm setting in game is 3520x1080 I get main screen and part of the main on the left side on the second and no abris, only the radar in upper right corner of second monitor. Driving them with a single gtx 960.

Any hints or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

It can be confusing, but based on what you are saying here. And I 'assume' that your second monitor is to the right of the primary game monitor since you did not say?? That's important to know when setting this up.

Make sure you set your game resolution to 3520x1080. I just typed this up. Since I don't have your setup, I cannot test it. But if it works, you can change the x,y,width,height for the LEFT_MFCD and RIGHT_MFCD to tweak the location and size of the Abris and Shkval.

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('aairon Ka20 2 Monitor Setup');
Description = 'Primary Game monitor on left, and Abris monitor on the right.'
Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = 1920;
         height = 1080;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 1920/1080;
    }
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
    x = 1920;
    y = 0;
    width = 700;
    height = 900;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
    x = 1920+700;
    y = 0;
    width = 700;
    height = 600;
}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Thank you very much Snacko I'll give it a try it should get me going in the right direction and yes secondary on right sorry for forgetting that.

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

• 1 month later...
Perhaps somebody can help this DCS newbie out. I'm running 3 27" monitors in Nvidia surround for a 5760x1080 single display. Consequently in the DCS graphic setup GUI I've got single monitor chosen with that resolution. While it looks great having that large FOV, the side monitors are pretty distorted when looking out of them. What's the best way to address this? Seems like when I select 1920x1080 and 3 monitors my side monitors are not used and my center monitor just shows a narrow image. Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm used to Iracing where it's just a single button click for the option of "rendering each monitor separately".

I'm from iRacimg too and the multi-monitor support for DCS is not as thought out as iRacing. It took me a while to get things setup "properly". I kept wanting to be able to see the HSI on my screen, like most of the videos on YouTube. When I did this, I could see the wings tilting forward on my side screens. When I turned my head with TrackIR, the horizon would be at an angle. I couldn't see all of the HUD symbology. No matter what I tried, the image seemed to be wrong or stretched out. It's your FOV.

You need to choose the option to render to screens separately. You need to modify the 3screen.lua file to align the screens. If your screens are properly aligned in iRacing and you have a proper FOV there, you can simply take that FOV and divide by 3. This is the proper FOV for DCS as it uses the angle to project to each monitor. For my setup in iRacing my FOV is around 165 degrees meaning my FOV in DCS is around 55 degrees. Now, this will seem to push your face up against the front of the cockpit, but this is not the case. It is what the pilot would see, and at the same size as the pilot would see if he/she were looking through a 16:9 monitor....unless of course you're using a 4:3 ratio monitor. The point is, the monitor covers very little vertical area, so you won't be able to see your HSI. If you're using track IR, however, and tilt your head down slightly then you will. Think of it like this. Can the pilot see his HSI, all of his MFCD's etc. while looking out the front glass through the HUD? Sure he can. Can he read the HSI while looking out through the HUD? No...not at all. Just like you can't look out the window of your car front window and read your speedometer at the same time. You have to tilt your head a little and change your focus.

When you get the FOV correct, as you turn your head, everything remains flat and in the correct proportions. Period. Your monitor doesn't give you the ability to fully peer into the virtual world. Only a window. This is the same principle used at iRacing to properly set up your FOV.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I'm new here.

I'd just like to say a massive thanks for this guide. It helped me get my MFD's working with Helios in a dual monitor setup running DCS 2.0 Open Alpha.

I also play using a occulus rift, so may now try and get a secondary display running just so when my nephews come round and have a go I can do all the complex stuff such as setting up profiles for them.

• 2 years later...

Problem: Transparent MFD on 1 Monitor Config

Hello...

I have 2 problems that are connected eachother.

I was trying something... then I just wanted to overlay MFDs on 1 monitor but when I do that, I see a transparent MFD in F/A-18C. Please see the image. Only left MFD in this example.

Is that normal? No background?

Ok. Well... Since there's no background; I've researched this issue and found Peter's "black square" post.

I wrote this code but, when I install my lua file into "..\Config\MonitorSetup\ folder, it won't even be listed in Options/Screens menu.

My code is:

name = _('CougarMFDs');
Description = 'Cougar MFDs on 27" monitor.'

Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = 1920;
         height = 1080;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 1920/1080;
    }

Square =
    {
         x = 45;
         y = 645;
         width = -383;
         height = -388;
         aspect = screen.aspect;
    }
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
    x = 45;
    y = 645;
    width = 383;
    height = 388;
}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center

What's wrong with it?

Thanks a lot!

Screen_190830_233813.thumb.jpg.bdf9a2dcc51d77bbeee5b565dd064357.jpg

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Hello...

I have 2 problems that are connected eachother.

I was trying something... then I just wanted to overlay MFDs on 1 monitor but when I do that, I see a transparent MFD in F/A-18C. Please see the image. Only left MFD in this example.

Is that normal? No background?

Ok. Well... Since there's no background; I've researched this issue and found Peter's "black square" post.

I wrote this code but, when I install my lua file into "..\Config\MonitorSetup\ folder, it won't even be listed in Options/Screens menu.

My code is:

name = _('CougarMFDs');
Description = 'Cougar MFDs on 27" monitor.'

Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = 1920;
         height = 1080;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 1920/1080;
    }

Square =
    {
         x = 45;
         y = 645;
         width = -383;
         height = -388;
         aspect = screen.aspect;
    }
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
    x = 45;
    y = 645;
    width = 383;
    height = 388;
}

What's wrong with it?

Thanks a lot!

Yea, that looks totally wrong to me, but I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.. It probably didn't show up in the Settings list because it found an error in it. Also, these viewports/MFCD can be transparent if they are coded that way. They are usually drawn on a black background, as I will show you below.

At the top you define two monitors(draw areas for DCS), called Center and Square. Then at the bottom the line

UIMainView = Viewports.Center tells DCS that this is where to draw the simulation window. It looks like you are telling DCS to draw the game on the primary monitor starting at 0,0 for 1920x1080. And then you are telling DCS to also draw the 'Square' view area (viewport) starting at x=45 (which is within the first (Center) viewport. You have them overlayed, and I am not sure what the Square viewport is for?..

It's a bit difficult to tell you what to do unless I could see your Windows monitor layout, and where you want your MFD drawn. But here's my example..

Here is my Windows Monitor Layout.. You can see that Windows sees that I have 1 large widescreen monitor(actually 3 monitors in nVidia Surround @1920x1080 each. So 5760x1080 is what Windows sees for Monitor #1). And then one 1920x1080 monitor below that in the center.

8iSteXs.jpg

In your MonitorConfig lua file, DCS always starts drawing it's X/Y coordinates from the top left (where that STAR is on my pic) of the top most monitor(AFAIK). So, if I wanted to draw the MFD on my 2nd monitor, I would first define my first draw area (Center) as x=0, y=0, and width=5760, height=1080. And then I would put UIMainView = Viewports.Center at the bottom to have DCS draw the game in that area.

So, now I also need to go into the DCS settings and set the game resolution to 5760x2160, so that DCS knows the entire are it can use to draw. I am telling DCS that the entire area it can draw anything is in that resolution. So, the height of 2160 let's it draw on my bottom monitor..

It will only draw the game in the 'center' area, and the other area of the resolution will be black, unless I put something else there, like the MFD.

So, then I define my MFD to draw in that area. The name of the 'viewport' must match what DCS calls it in it's code. (RIGHT_MFCD, LEFT_MFCD...). And I have to calculate the coordinates, starting from 0,0 (at the STAR in my pic) to set it's location.

So, my MonitorSetup lua file would look like this.

_ = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('Helios F-15c Viewports by Snacko');
Description = 'Export F-15c Viewports.'

Viewports =
{
Center =
	{
		x = 0;
		y = 0;
		width = 5760;
		height = 1080;
		viewDx = 0;
		viewDy = 0;
		aspect = 5760/1080;
	}
}

RIGHT_MFCD =	
{
	 x = 2200;
	 y = 1200;
	 width = 400;
	 height = 400;
}

PS: the viewDx, and viewDy, are always 0. They are used for setting the angle to draw right and left side monitors for triple screens or surround areas where you actually have a monitors on your sides.

Also, if you were trying to draw this on your game 'draw' are, then maybe that is what your 'square' are is supposed to be? Maybe that is how PeterP created the black background for the MFCD if you gave those areas the same x,y coordinates? I've never done that..

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

Dear Snacko. Thank you very very much for your detail reply.

Actually I've been already using my TM CougarMFDs on a second monitor. They work perfectly with a similar code you mentioned above. No problem.

I'll tell you what I'm trying to do: I have a 32" monitor and I use it as main monitor. My aim is that I'll place my 2 CougarMFDs on the monitor (physically). So, I want DCS to display in-game MFDs at left and right lower corners.

Check the image in my prev. post. You'll see a transparent MFD on the left bottom. Second MFD will be on the right.

That Square thing was to create a black background. I mean I want to display everything in 1 monitor and, to get rid of transparent issue I was trying to display a black background.

I hope I managed to tell my problem. :)

Do you have any idea how to do that?

Thank you.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

Ok, I see what you are trying to do.

I don't know why PeterP has the width and height as negative. I have never seen that ever before. I would try this:

Square =
    {
         x = 45;
         y = 645;
         width = 383;
         height = 388;
         aspect = 383/388;
    }

I am guessing that he was trying to make a square black area? Other than that, I don't know..

I also tried that with positive values, your code and other tons of things, but no luck.

Yes, I need a black square background to display virtual MFDs on my main monitor but can't create it.

Anyway... Well... I think this issue will lead me to buy two 8" panels. :)

Thanks really so much for your attention Snacko.

See you...

You could just make your 'center' area smaller. The game are would be smaller, but the rest of the screen would have a black background. Like this:

Viewports =
{
Center =
	{
		x = 0;
		y = 0;
		width = 1920-383;
		height = 1080;
		viewDx = 0;
		viewDy = 0;
		aspect = 1920-383/1080;
	}
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
    x = 0;
    y = 645;
    width = 383;
    height = 388;
}

Ah.. Naah I think I won't prefer that Snacko. :)

I'll go with second monitor until my 8" panels' arrival. I ordered. :D

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I'm re-evaluating some of my simulator plans before I commit 100% and wanted to check out what is possible using projectors instead of VR.

Apologies if this has already come up, I have to admit I was unwilling to read 14 pages that might not answer my question as I sit here under a blanket with a nasty cold and headache. =(

Are any of you using 3D projectors with curved screens? What are the results like?

I would think that with current technology it should be possible to get similar results to VR but with a real simulator cockpit by using 3D projectors with 3D glasses for the outside world, HUD etc and have the HUD etc. appear as it should, where it should due to the 3D effect.

Does this work?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

• 3 months later...

Setting up the Shkval on a second monitor for the SU-25T

Hello,

I am having problems setting up the Shkval on a second monitor for the SU-25T

I have done a lot of research and have gone as far as I can.

I started by making a copy of one of the monitor setup LUA files and edited it using Notepad Plus Plus.

I have included a screen shot of what the game looks like when using the file.

I have also included a screen shot of the settings I am using. I am confident I have done this correctly, resolution, aspect ratio, full screen un-ticked.

My main monitor is 29” Ultrawide 2560 X 1080 21:9 aspect ratio

Second monitor (positioned to the right) 22” 1920 X 1080 16:9 aspect ratio

When I turn the Shkval on it doesn’t come up on my second screen. The only thing that I can get on my second screen is the controller indicator in the bottom right of the screen.

I would like the Shkval to fill the whole of my second screen changing it only if it doesn't look right. Should the Shkval be a perfect square? Please tell me if it should.

I have not changed anything in the options.lua file but i have looked at it and i cant see anything that is wrong.

C:\Users\>your user name<\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Options.lua

I would appreciate any help.

name = _('shkval');
Description = 'Shkval on a second monitor for the SU-25T'
Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width  = 2560;
         height = 1080;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 2.37;
    }
}

Shkval =
{
    x = 2561;
    y = 1080;
    width = 2561;
    height = 1080;
}

GROUND_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center

options.lua

["graphics"] = {
	["DOF"] = 0,
	["LensEffects"] = 0,
	["MSAA"] = 1,
	["SSAA"] = 0,
	["SSAO"] = 0,
	["anisotropy"] = 3,
	["aspect"] = 2.37,
	["chimneySmokeDensity"] = 5,
	["civTraffic"] = "high",
	["clouds"] = 1,
	["clutterMaxDistance"] = 1500,
	["cockpitGI"] = 1,
	["effects"] = 3,
	["flatTerrainShadows"] = 0,
	["forestDistanceFactor"] = 1,
	["fullScreen"] = false,
	["heatBlr"] = 2,
	["height"] = 1080,
	["lights"] = 2,
	["messagesFontScale"] = 1,
	["motionBlur"] = 0,
	["multiMonitorSetup"] = "shkval",
	["outputGamma"] = 2.2,
	["preloadRadius"] = 60000,
	["rainDroplets"] = true,
	["scaleGui"] = false,
	["shadowTree"] = false,
	["shadows"] = 4,
	["sync"] = false,
	["terrainTextures"] = "max",
	["textures"] = 2,
	["treesVisibility"] = 10000,
	["useDeferredShading"] = 1,
	["visibRange"] = "High",
	["water"] = 2,
	["width"] = 4480,

Thanks

Screen_200403_132006.thumb.png.92e64b3ca5733e7a7378754ab0b5c30e.png

Settings.thumb.png.d48ea851ed0d7b153f044a43b6d11244.png

Ryzen 5 3600X, 32GB DDR4, 1060 6GB, 1TB M.2, ASUS B450-I Gaming, Windows 10 64, ASUS Monitor 29" Ultrawide 2560 X 1080, BenQ 22" 1080p

DCS Stable version, FC3, L39, A10-C

Thrustmaster T.16000 HOTAS

I think your Shkval width is supposed to be 1920, not 2561?

You may also have an issue with the name "Shkval"? I dont use the SU-25T, but there may need to be some editing done with its init.lua to get it to export?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Thanks Fakum for the reply,

I have made the two changes you suggested,

Shkval width changed to 1920 from 2561

renamed Shkval to RIGHT_MFCD

I have also made one other change. I changed the last line to:

After making these three changes to the code nothing has changed in game.

name = _('shkval');
Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width  = 2560;
         height = 1080;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 2.37;
    }
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
    x = 2561;
    y = 1080;
    width = 1920;
    height = 1080;
}

Ryzen 5 3600X, 32GB DDR4, 1060 6GB, 1TB M.2, ASUS B450-I Gaming, Windows 10 64, ASUS Monitor 29" Ultrawide 2560 X 1080, BenQ 22" 1080p

I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I dont recall the specific details needed to make this work. I'm sure it is something simple though. If someone else doesnt chime in here soon, and if your not aware of Helios, I would suggest you do the following, and you dont need to install Helios to do this, I am just providing you with an option that may help you.

Goto Capt Zeens website:

http://www.captzeen.com/helios/index.asp

Download the SU-25T profile and extract the files in a temp folder. Open its installation instructions. Outside of the instructions to install Helios, and this SU-25T profile, there are other instructions regarding export files etc, that are needed just to accommodate exporting instruments etc, even without the use of Helios.

I would search the SU-25T threads, Im sure others have tried the same thing.

You may have already dealt with this stuff? I dont know? I hope you get it figured out.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I now have it working.

Here is the correct code, i hope others can learn from it.

name = _('shkval');
Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width  = 2560;
         height = 1080;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 2.37;
    }
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
    x = 2561;
    y = 0;
    width = 1920;
    height = 1080;
}

• Thanks 1

Ahhhh yes,,, Y=0,,, dont know how I missed that myself? Congrats

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to setup logic in the lua so that the MFCD size is different depending on the aircraft? Eg

If current_aircraft == Su-25T
width = blah
height = blah1

If current_aircraft == A-10A
width = blah3
height = blah4

• 6 months later...