IFF, what's crypto, mode 4, master

fitness88

Where is the switch usually set under Mode 4 to be able to get aircraft info on the SA page?

What do the other switch positions under Mode 4 do?

Also there is Crypto and Master Mode with its switch positions, is there info as to what they are for?

Thank you.

Pretty sure none of the transponder stuff has been implemented yet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I doubt it will ever get implemented, as it is not implemented in any DCS module unfortunately :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

As for all radar contacts on SA page this should come with the addition of some other features and the integrated sensors unless I am mistaken. This is in the development pipeline but won't be linked to transponder/mode4.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

That's already ingame? Your radar contacts appear on the SA page, along with datalinked friendlies and enemies.

Not F-18 or even DCS specific, but I found the following very interesting and well explained regarding IFF:

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I've read many times on the forum Mode 4 has to be on in order to get proper SA page info. I do notice in auto start the Mode 4 and Crypto is enabled.

What then does Sensor Depress actually do if Mode 4 is not active yet?

What exactly what do you do to make the most of the SA page?

I've read many times on the forum Mode 4 has to be on in order to get proper SA page info. I do notice in auto start the Mode 4 and Crypto is enabled.

What then does Sensor Depress actually do if Mode 4 is not active yet?

What exactly what do you do to make the most of the SA page?

You don't have to touch that switch. Sensor Select depress does a Mode 4 IFF - but you don't have to touch the mode 4 switch to get it to do that. To get full use of the SA page, switch it on, press DL on the UFC and press ON. That's it.

You don't have to touch that switch. Sensor Select depress does a Mode 4 IFF - but you don't have to touch the mode 4 switch to get it to do that. To get full use of the SA page, switch it on, press DL on the UFC and press ON. That's it.

So does Sensor Depress interrogate only what's locked on the radar page...STT or does it do all aircraft on the radar page as I see multi targets identified on the SA page that were not STT.

What are the 2 vertical lines for on the middle of the SA page for?

So does Sensor Depress interrogate only what's locked on the radar page...STT or does it do all aircraft on the radar page as I see multi targets identified on the SA page that were not STT.

What are the 2 vertical lines for on the middle of the SA page for?

1. yes target has to be locked for an iff interrogation or an NCTR (Non Cooperative Target Recognition)

2. the 2 lines are kind of like your radar you can hover over a contact on your SA page and get info about them if there is any to give.

i recommend you check this

out for info!

IFF, what's crypto, mode 4, master

Where is the switch usually set under Mode 4 to be able to get aircraft info on the SA page?

What do the other switch positions under Mode 4 do?

Also there is Crypto and Master Mode with its switch positions, is there info as to what they are for?

Thank you.

I believe the master switch is to switch between the UFC controlling IFF or that panel. Emer position is for controlling IFF on the panel. The other switches do the same thing the UFC does when the master is in Norm. Most likely used in situations of battle damage or failure of the UFC.

I don’t have the tactical manual for this one so I can’t positively say that’s what they do. This is a hypothetical answer.

Most of those switches on the back left are for emergency back up functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

CheeseCake that video was jammed packed with info, some I got some I'll have to go back to.

I need to first nail down the basics to radar a little more. What confuses me there, when the TDC is moved over a target on the radar page, I thought by pressing 'enter' 1 time you lock the target in STT and that's the only option but I see you can press 'enter' more and get different degrees of radar info plus there's LTWS but no TWS.

BTW, what does the IFF button do on the UFC, is it active?

Gotta go practicebook.gif

Edited by fitness88

CheeseCake that video was jammed packed with info, some I got some I'll have to go back to.

I need to first nail down the basics to radar a little more. What confuses me there, when the TDC is moved over a target on the radar page, I thought by pressing 'enter' 1 time you lock the target in STT and that's the only option but I see you can press 'enter' more and get different degrees of radar info plus there's LTWS but no TWS.

BTW, what does the IFF button do on the UFC, is it active?

Gotta go practicebook.gif

The IFF button on the UFC displays the different IFF modes and right now, pressing it and pressing the ON/OFF button will toggle the IFF transponder On and Off. Right now, that's its sole function, but (I assume) in the future, it'll actually enable us to change the settings for the different IFF modes. Right now, we use only a simplified version of what is called Mode 4

As far as a DCS pilot is concerned, right now, just press IFF and then ON/OFF to turn the system on and be able to:

1) interrogate contacts through Mode 4 IFF, by depressing the Sensor Select Switch

2) appear friendly to your own coalition's aircraft, if they run a Mode 4 IFF interrogation on you

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

No, target doesnt have to be locked.

I believe an STT lock on the target in the Radar page is required before you can get an NCTR print on that target. I could never get an NCTR print w/o STT lock. (Also, I found that once you get an NCTR print on a target, it is remembered - you can switch off NCTR and that target will still give you its NCTR print when the cursor goes over it in the SA page.)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Thanks Harker for the follow-up on the IFF.

Do you have a good source for info on:

1. STT
  2. LTWS
  3. DTWS
  4. L&S and D2

I'm not sure when pressing designate 1 time or multiple times what radar mode I'm in.

Edit: reading Chuck's Guide good source

Edited by fitness88

I believe an STT lock on the target in the Radar page is required before you can get an NCTR print on that target. I could never get an NCTR print w/o STT lock. (Also, I found that once you get an NCTR print on a target, it is remembered - you can switch off NCTR and that target will still give you its NCTR print when the cursor goes over it in the SA page.)

It doesn't have to be locked to IFF, is I believe what he was saying (which is true).

Thanks Harker for the follow-up on the IFF.

Do you have a good source for info on:

1. STT
  2. LTWS
  3. DTWS
  4. L&S and D2

I'm not sure when pressing designate 1 time or multiple times what radar mode I'm in.

If you have LTWS enabled (which it is by default), then TDC depress on a target will designate it as L&S (launch and steering target), TDC depress again on it will put you into STT or if you have AIM-7s equipped and selected you can just fire and it will auto-transition to STT. Once you've designated an L&S, you can designate a second target as DT2 (designated target 2, I'm guessing) by TDC depress on a second target. If you'd like to skip straight to STT, you can use Sensor Select Right (AACQ) when hovering over a target. You can also just turn off LTWS if you'd prefer by going to the DATA sub-menu on the ATTK RDR page and unboxing LTWS.

I've got no idea what DTWS is.

Emerg position is for controlling IFF on the panel.

No...with the IFF master switch in EMERG the IFF R/T replies to an interrogation with the emergency code. (Code 7700) With the switch in NORM, the IFF R/T replies to interrogations with the selected codes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

No...with the IFF master switch in EMERG the IFF R/T replies to an interrogation with the emergency code. (Code 7700) With the switch in NORM, the IFF R/T replies to interrogations with the selected codes.

Oh okay. Is there a source you can point me to? Not saying I don't believe you. Would like to read more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

If you have LTWS enabled (which it is by default), then TDC depress on a target will designate it as L&S (launch and steering target), TDC depress again on it will put you into STT or if you have AIM-7s equipped and selected you can just fire and it will auto-transition to STT. Once you've designated an L&S, you can designate a second target as DT2 (designated target 2, I'm guessing) by TDC depress on a second target. If you'd like to skip straight to STT, you can use Sensor Select Right (AACQ) when hovering over a target. You can also just turn off LTWS if you'd prefer by going to the DATA sub-menu on the ATTK RDR page and unboxing LTWS.

I've got no idea what DTWS is.

Excellent summary backspace340, I will try this out when I get home.

I am comfortable using the weapon select switch function and the sensor select switch function but what I find handcuffs me is getting in and out of these 2 selections. Once I'm in one selection I lose my way back to the other. I'm forced to turn off the A/A mode and then start over.

Also, I can use RWS without enabling A/A but do all other radar functions need to have A/A enabled?

Thanks again!

edit: Cannot move sensor of interest down to MPCD

No AMPCD HSI movement AFT except when HSI is in the left MDI...then you have to move the sensor switch AFT to get the left MDI SOI. Only SA in the AMPCD will get SOI when press AFT on the SSS...unintuitive behavior?

I found this in the forum and now works as intended...As per manual:

Sensor Control Switch Aft: When in A/G mode, this assigns TDC priority to Advanced Multipurpose Color Display (AMPCD). When in A/A mode, this assigns the TDC to the AMPCD SA page. If in an A/A ACM sub-mode, this puts radar in vertical acquisition (VACQ). If in NAV mode, this toggles the AMPCD between the HSI, SLEW, and SA pages in that order. I tried this and can't get it to work as stated.

I'm home and I am now patiently working SSS with the weapon selector switch choosing 1 weapon at a time...slowly starting to come togetherbook.gif

Edited by fitness88