Dimebug Free stencil A-10C cocpkit project

dimebug

I did use wood!

I used 2*7mm plywood.

Then i cut out holes for switches in the lower part and made some 2mm holes on upper part for nuts!! So I don't see them when putting on a laminated paper on top.

Will post my latest pics...

I almost finished my left side consol.

I even made a Landinggear switch :D And due to it being a landing gear I stuck a radio-controlled airplane-wheel on it :pilotfly:

My biggest problem is that I use my computer to a racing to, so I cant make it as low as it is on drawing! I increased the height by 150mm due to my seat is on top off my computer!! So I cant go lower :doh:

So I will NOT build the front of pit, its in the way for racing...

Maybe I will half the right side, or I gone have problems to get out of my seat... Need to move it...

My desk is about 900mm over floor so I got some limitations to everything.

Of course all holes on top is countersunk with marginals to fasten nuts whit a tool! Deep is about 2mm and hole width is 20mm for 12mm switches and 12mm for 6mm switches!

A switch is about 7-8mm in high, so you need to make sure the tread is enough up on top so you can screw the frigging nut on it.

Underneath i make the holes as big as the switches base is. About 30mm on big switches and 16 on small.

First I did saw out a frame, but that was no good, better is to drill hole for every switch, then you got a sturdier frame!

IMAG0134.thumb.jpg.5308601826d777cee35ef4f77b3e4abe.jpg

IMAG0135.thumb.jpg.0235c2caa792d19e847b23cd8d19aebf.jpg

IMAG0136.thumb.jpg.ed60984cbaf2398f8d4d91cc204dfa3c.jpg

Edited by Strix
Remembered things

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

One of the best pit thread - love your work

metric, most of the pdf are scale 1/1

New seat implemented. The seat as been designed by a french guy "OLR". Here you can see the virtual model :

assemblagetotale2.jpg

I don't know if he plan to release plans, but it lookk very good, but require some serious work (lots of parts).

We found some little mistakes, but it looks quite good already. The autor already build it.

I made a short pause but i will start to work on the external ribs soon.

Coupled with some pictures, i've seen that my stick base is probably 3 centimeter too close of the center console. I will be gratefull if someone can give me the exact dimension of an Ace II seat, especially the width.

to dimebug and all...

WOW !!!

i am new around here and thanks to your thread i am starting my project too.

I like to know if you have seat dimensions too? (love the way you share.)

i am planing to buy CNC this week and hope it will be ready for work next Friday.

i am looking for the panels stencils, dimensions (each panel), the recommended thickness.

I want to light the text and the switches too. (how to? )

the basic sw plate will be 3mm aluminum and i like to know what is the recommended material for the panels?

any information / help will be grate.

if working with the CNC will be smooth - i will love to share it with you !!!

Again ...Thanks to you all in this cool pit thread.

Avlolga

Strix that was greatly helpful, thanks a lot. I notice you, like me, have used MDF, and no rails. How did fitting the panel wood go for you? Looking at how thin the little stubs that hold the panels are, I'm worried they'd fall apart if I drilled into them for screws.

476th vFG Alumni

What about taking screws to fasten the panels down? Would I need to use nut and bolts instead?

I was planning on using a hardwood rail as it seemed perhaps easier to fix panels to, as I can't imagine how I'd fix to aluminium, but I trust you guys judgement more than my own, so I'd like to see how you've actually gone about fixing panels down!

476th vFG Alumni

Thx avlolga.

Sorry, cant provide any site for that.

I live in Sweden:)

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

Strix that was greatly helpful, thanks a lot. I notice you, like me, have used MDF, and no rails. How did fitting the panel wood go for you? Looking at how thin the little stubs that hold the panels are, I'm worried they'd fall apart if I drilled into them for screws.

MFD is no god when it is to thin! As the stubs!

It will crack, so u need to drill for screws. (big enough!!)

Else it will separate.

i did screw BESIDES he stubs, down in to framework with long screws!!

sry for my late reply!

Look at pic!

One thing is for sure, u don't need to open up as big hole as I did if u use MFD!!

Then u can fasten the screw in the "stubs" if u make them bigger!

If u use alu/steel rails, then u have to use a thin panel!

If u use plywood, u can use thicker panels! And hide the nut!

I did use 2*7mm ply, when the lower one is for fasten in frame and the upper one is for switches.

And then I fasten the upper in lower with small flat-headed screws...

I have almost finished my left panels!

Everything behind throttle/sas panels, is only paper pics!

And i did put the elec pwr panel on left, besides landing panel, because I cant build the right side yet! And I want the switches now...

Probably gone do Air panel to over elec panel...... for now...... I am out of switches and money :mad:

I even bought some turning-nobs and fasten them in where they would be :music_whistling:

Looks better then some uggly drawing of it.

IMAG0137.thumb.jpg.058e23d09d8072b044fc5ac9ae5b26ac.jpg

IMAG0138.thumb.jpg.98b9bf559c16e751e9e54056f9bb0439.jpg

Edited by Strix
Pics! Others

Looking great! You're done a real service for the DCS community Dimebug, you should be proud. :thumb up:

Strix thats some awesome progress! I've got one panel half done in my build thread haha, yours has come along very quickly! What USB board have you used, does it work well with potentiometers?

Edited by Ragtop

476th vFG Alumni

Looking great! You're done a real service for the DCS community Dimebug, you should be proud. :thumb up:

Strix thats some awesome progress! I've got one panel half done in my build thread haha, yours has come along very quickly! What USB board have you used, does it work well with potentiometers?

Heheh...

I did not rush with mine! Only worked on it every second day at most :cry:

I use GP-Wiz 40! And I have 3 of them now!!!

But I DONT use any potentiometers, because I don't know how to....:helpsmilie:

I would like to use pots, but I need help to do it.

Strix, take a look at this thread, there's some useful information, particularly Fael097's posts towards the end. I'm tackling the lighting panel next so I'll be with you on this rocky road!

Here's a pic of my current progress BTW ;P

attachment.php?attachmentid=57177&d=1317680086

476th vFG Alumni

Hog look here

I did use wood!

I used 2*7mm plywood.

Then i cut out holes for switches in the lower part and made some 2mm holes on upper part for nuts!! So I don't see them when putting on a laminated paper on top.

Will post my latest pics...

I almost finished my left side consol.

I even made a Landinggear switch :D And due to it being a landing gear I stuck a radio-controlled airplane-wheel on it :pilotfly:

My biggest problem is that I use my computer to a racing to, so I cant make it as low as it is on drawing! I increased the height by 150mm due to my seat is on top off my computer!! So I cant go lower :doh:

So I will NOT build the front of pit, its in the way for racing...

Maybe I will half the right side, or I gone have problems to get out of my seat... Need to move it...

My desk is about 900mm over floor so I got some limitations to everything.

Of course all holes on top is countersunk with marginals to fasten nuts whit a tool! Deep is about 2mm and hole width is 20mm for 12mm switches and 12mm for 6mm switches!

A switch is about 7-8mm in high, so you need to make sure the tread is enough up on top so you can screw the frigging nut on it.

Underneath i make the holes as big as the switches base is. About 30mm on big switches and 16 on small.

First I did saw out a frame, but that was no good, better is to drill hole for every switch, then you got a sturdier frame!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

dimebug!

Excellent work!!

Wish I could do it to....:(

Is all your knobs and rotary working???

I made my gear lever of an thick aluminium profile that I bend with great force...

Then I stuck it true the wood and made a solution in the back using a bolt to hold the leaver, I used some rubber spacer to make it hard to move! I control the hardness if I loosen or tighten the nuts.

I use a on/on switch that goes in a hole in the aluminium leaver with a o-ring to make it smooth.

I had to mount the switch very close to the bolt or the movement was to big for it.

Look at pics! sry for bad quality of pics!

Sry Ragtop!

I am still lost in space when it comes to read and learn.

Need pics and drawings :D

IMAG0143.thumb.jpg.25a70771a88b06791720195b3ad08935.jpg

IMAG0147.thumb.jpg.38fa209c29869162d7e01d2b503ed868.jpg