VR decision

Emacs

Hi there,

I'm running DCS World (mostly P-51 and F-5E in multiplayer for now. A10C and F-18 later on) on a 4k monitor with about 60fps on P-51 and F-5 (vsync enabled).

Machine is a i9 9900K with 64GB@3600Mhz. Graphics card is a RX 5700 XT (can't change that, because the machine is a hackintosh too - and a very nice one at that).

This hardware will be here at least for the next three years.

I feel I'm ready to dip my toes into VR but I cannot make up my mind.

• Ocolus Rift S?
  • Ocolus Quest with Link?
  • HP Reverb?

I'm aware that all those headsets are going V2 in the next few month, but I want to go VR now.

The Quest with link looks intriguing for OLED and simplicity. Then again I don't care about portability (have an Ocolus Go for VR pron already).

The Reverb looks great for the much higher resolution but I'm not sure my RX5700XT can handle that.

So, just a used Rift S from eBay? Best common ground. Easy to setup. Lot's of other players happy with it. I totally loathe the owning company though.

I know the topic has been beaten to death.

Still...

Want to try DCS VR now. Would very much like to stay in the three-digits costs.

I don't think I would do much VR beyond DCS. Maybe a round of Serious Sam VR here and there.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Emacs

Edited by Emacs

HP Reverb

it is cheaper than a Rift S right now ;-)

If you are afraid of RX 5700 XT performance, you can downsample rendering resolution quite a bit (and still have a better image than the Rift S).

If you can buy a Rift S for a normal price, than sure go for it.

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Guys sell the original Oculus Rift on the iRacing forums for ~200 USD on a regular basis if you're a member there.

The Reverb is a good step up from the Original Rift. I have not used the Rift S but took the Reverb to get away from FB and for the better resolution; I like the headstrap much better as well.

It does make you need more performance, however. I just fly around, so it's ok for me. The clarity is really good.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I have been very happy with my Rift S. Especially ease of use and simplicity.

Been using it for a year now mostly daily, and the CV1 prior to that.

Rift S audio and mic is not so good. I use earbuds for audio which plug into the headset's headphone jack which sound great, and a desktop USB mic.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have been happy with the Rift-s as well, but I would personally right now be looking at the Reverb G2 with improved panels and lenses, sorting most of the reasons I haven't gotten a reverb yet.

I use a regular headset over the rift, no issues with the can's fitting over the band, just increase the notches on the band by a few and it's sorted.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

i own the rift s and is good. But i`m waiting for the reverb g2, The early review is promissing (the original reverb have a reallly small sweet spot). If you can wait, i think it can be the best choice for vr sim (if you have the machine to run 4k vr of course)

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

Another Rift S user that will be getting the G2 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Having a Reverb and a Quest I'd not recommend a Reverb with your graphics card. You won't be happy and with the upcoming Gen 2 I wouldn't spend money on a Gen 1 right now. I'd go for the Quest and sell the Go. I know many happy RiftS user but since Oculus link works with nearly every cable, I'm missing the point in getting a Rift.

In case you'd be able to wait a couple of month I'd expect a lot of good opportunities getting a RiftS cheap after the release of the upcoming goggles. In this case, the Rift S might be a good choice

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Thank you all for the suggestions!

The range is what I expected :)

Are there any Quest/Link DCS players around who can say if there is enough lag, to be a concern?

Would instruments, MFDs and HUDs still be readable?

Cheers,

Emacs

Are there any Quest/Link DCS players around who can say if there is enough lag, to be a concern?

Cheers,

Emacs

I don't see any lag when I was trying my Quest with Link, using the official Oculus Link cable.

I prefer my Rift S though mainly for comfort.

Instruments were just as readable to me as I get with my Rift S. Not perfect by any means, but certainly doable.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Cheers,

Emacs

You simply have to try it. When it comes to VR, what's good for one may be totally unacceptable for others. We don't know what's "enough' for you to be concerned.

Also, just as with computer speeds, once you try something better, it's hard to go back to lower quality. So until you try something in the higher end, lower end may be good enough for you.

Edited by Taz1004

Ok. Got a Quest and the link cable should arrive tomorrow!

So far I‘m totally blown away by the image quality, the ability to walk around and the two controllers (only having used an Oculus Go so far). Beat Sabre alone should keep me entertained until the link cable arrives.

Is there anything about the setup to use it with DCS?

Just install the Link software and configure the VR setup in DCS?

Or do I need something else?

Cheers,

Emacs

Rift S is a well balanced first gen product. I've been very happy it, but I am likely to upgrade to G2. (I also loathe facebook... so yeah... had to hold my nose getting the Rift S. Opted out of everything in software!).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Be warned, if you go Reverb, you will have to live with reprojection on, all the time. My 2080 Ti did so, and I hated it.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Ok. Got a Quest and the link cable should arrive tomorrow!

So far I‘m totally blown away by the image quality, the ability to walk around and the two controllers (only having used an Oculus Go so far). Beat Sabre alone should keep me entertained until the link cable arrives.

Is there anything about the setup to use it with DCS?

Just install the Link software and configure the VR setup in DCS?

Or do I need something else?

Cheers,

Emacs

Yep that is about it.

All you need to do in Nvidia Control Panel is set DCS.exe to "prefer maximum performance".

Leave the rest at default and make your gfx settings in the game GUI.

First thing I would do after you have the device hooked up, go into the UI layer in DCS control setup menu, and assign VR re-center and the two VR zoom levels to buttons on your HOTAS.

Don B

I do have the TM Warthog but still there are things I want to click in the cockpit.

What do you use to interact with cockpit switches?

Mouse or VR controllers?

Seems to bit of a pain to let go of the stick and then fumble around in the dark to find the mouse or controller....

Cheers,

Emacs

I do have the TM Warthog but still there are things I want to click in the cockpit.

Mouse or VR controllers?

Seems to bit of a pain to let go of the stick and then fumble around in the dark to find the mouse or controller....

Cheers,

Emacs

I myself prefer the mouse over the controllers. I have a pull out piece of wood built into my desk on both left and right sides, so I pull the one on right out when I can lay mouse on and it is right next to my arm.

Note you can also assign mouse functions to buttons on your HOTAS as well.

Don B

Mouse or VR controllers?

Cheers,

Emacs

I use the mouse to click on buttons and switches in the cockpit too. Its a little clunky at first, but you get used to it. Much easier than trying to use VR controllers because the mouse is always sitting right there on a flat surface. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

A trackball offers the advantage of always being in the same place while in VR .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

No , i am saying that the trackball is always in the same physical space-no fumbling for it .

I personally like the cursor moving with your head , but it is obvious some don't .

No , i am saying that the trackball is always in the same physical space-no fumbling for it .

I personally like the cursor moving with your head , but it is obvious some don't .

I have an old, big, heavy Logitech wireless mouse that takes care of that problem. Really hard to inadvertently flip it out of the way when I go to put my hand on it again. I like the cursor moving with your head too, it makes it so you don't have to move the mouse very far to click a button, so its always really close to the same position.

For the OP, the only time I found using a mouse and flying the plane at the same time difficult was when trying to retract the landing gear shortly after takeoff by clicking on the handle. I just assigned the paddle switch on the bottom of my Warthog stick to extending/retracting the gear.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

My Reverb cable just started dying.

I had to revert to my Rift CV1.

And is not bad at all.

Go for the Rift S!

OP has got his quest already ;-)

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

My Reverb cable just started dying.

I had to revert to my Rift CV1.

And is not bad at all.

Go for the Rift S!

OP has got his quest already ;-)

My cable went bad also. HP sent me a replacement cable in two days.