[ALL MODULES][SP/CO-OP] Liberation Dynamic Campaign

Thank you for excellent update, new Caucasus map is great, plenty of spacing. I tested it a bit in VR and performance seems ok (i don't expect miracles here).

Big Caucasus map also seems to have better performance but there is still periodic stutter every few seconds (this might be due to my not so great CPU).

Inclusion of BLUFOR modern faction is highly appreciated:).

I'd like to buy you a beer or two for your hard work, maybe give us a link where we can do that.

Edited by ziher

BTW I tried to download the source coude of qt_ui branch and it seems there are several units not in pydcs 0.97?

Examples:

USS_Arleigh_Burke_II

FDDM_Grad

Ju_88A4

Sd_Kfz_184_Elefant

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Edited by kariem2k

BTW I tried to download the source coude of qt_ui branch and it seems there are several units not in pydcs 0.97?

Examples:

USS_Arleigh_Burke_II

FDDM_Grad

Ju_88A4

Sd_Kfz_184_Elefant

Am I missing something?

Yes, in fact, i'm now currently running my own version of pydcs. A part of the pydcs library has to be autogenerated regularly, in order to generates Python references representing the DCS objects.

My export of pydcs has support for the latest units (including the supercarrier and the new units that you are missing.)

I made a PR on pydcs. Hopefully, we'll get a new official release soon.

So if I pick a "Defensive" posture, it actually puts less units on the map? If I say have 6 M1A1s at a base and pick "Defensive", will it only deploy a fraction of those?

Not exactly, in Defensive mode it will generate them all, either in group of 2,4 or 6.

So you can end up with a group of 2 M1A1 and one of 4 M1A1. Or a single group of 6 M1A1 depending on rng.

If you take ambush, you will have groups of either 1, 2, 4 units, but with a much higher probability to get groups of 1 or 2 units.

So for instance you will have 2 groups of one unit, and 2 groups of 2 units.

Long story short, "AMBUSH" is rather similar to "DEFENSE" mode for now.

Then something i also forgot to mention is that different kind of units will have different kind of behaviour and positioning. Tanks and heavy vehicles will mostly charge forward the enemy units, while the other units will follow behind. And artilery units will always stay in the back.

Very happy with the loadouts fix.

Just flew a great mission in the new campaign. I love that big mountain between the first two bases. Flew in a SEAD flight, right after the mountain ran into a bunch of bogeys. Shot off 4 HARMs at about 25 miles out, then ran back into the mountains and did some awesome NOE flying through the valleys to escape the Mig29s.

Got both of us back safe, and every HARM hit so their airbase is pretty open for attack now.

Does bombing the actual airport reduce their aircraft?

Not exactly, in Defensive mode it will generate them all, either in group of 2,4 or 6.

So you can end up with a group of 2 M1A1 and one of 4 M1A1. Or a single group of 6 M1A1 depending on rng.

If you take ambush, you will have groups of either 1, 2, 4 units, but with a much higher probability to get groups of 1 or 2 units.

So for instance you will have 2 groups of one unit, and 2 groups of 2 units.

Long story short, "AMBUSH" is rather similar to "DEFENSE" mode for now.

Then something i also forgot to mention is that different kind of units will have different kind of behaviour and positioning. Tanks and heavy vehicles will mostly charge forward the enemy units, while the other units will follow behind. And artilery units will always stay in the back.

Great info, thanks. Yesterday I jumped into an M1A1 to finish off a few stragglers after a CAS group hit them. Unfortunately the VR support is pretty bad for combined arms, but I was able to take out their remaining tank.

I haven't had this much fun in a sim since I first got my hands on Falcon 4.

Just flew a great mission in the new campaign. I love that big mountain between the first two bases. Flew in a SEAD flight, right after the mountain ran into a bunch of bogeys. Shot off 4 HARMs at about 25 miles out, then ran back into the mountains and did some awesome NOE flying through the valleys to escape the Mig29s.

Got both of us back safe, and every HARM hit so their airbase is pretty open for attack now.

Great ! I'm really happy that people are already having fun with this, it was not all for nothing :D

Does bombing the actual airport reduce their aircraft?

It depends what you bomb. Any unit destroyed will be tracked (except infantry). I have an issue right now that destroyed sams units and armored units from the airbase defense groups will not appear in the mission window log, but they should be correctly tracked anyway.

If you see AI planes on the airbase that have already RTB and landed back you can destroy them and they will be properly tracked as casualty. (However it takes a really good bomb hit to have them considered destroyed, if you just strafe them with guns, they will be damaged but not destroyed, so not tracked as dead, while IRL they would probably have been dumped.)

Maybe in the future i'll make it so there are some planes on the airbase parkings slots to be destroyed (and considered lost if damaged).

Just had a new bug.

Playing on the new campaign map, two missions in a row I created a F14 CAP group and gave it a waypoint to the frontline from Soganlug. Looking at the track file both F14 start behaving erratically right after spawn, going level then diving then level again. This goes on for about a minute then eventually both crash into the ground.

The F15 CAP group I gave the same orders to flew there fine.

I think I gave the F14s a zero second start both times, and the F15s had a 3 minute start

EDIT: Just gave the F14s a 3 minute start and it happened again.

Edited by flyinj23

I think i found bug on new Caucasus map. Playing as Red i noticed that most of the scheduled flights are not generated.

After checking in mission editor it looks like both blue and red flights have their airport ownership trigger condition inverted. I then re-inverted conditions manually and flights started to spawn on schedule as expected.

EDIT:

Tried playing same scenario as Blue and it works as intended. I also had really good performance in VR with limited amount of flights generated so you might consider this as easy way to tweak user performance by having configurable limiter for generated flights per side or something similar.

Edited by ziher

Guys, im so sorry for being late for the party. Khopa did truly a great work.

Im trying to find a way to specify which version of DCS to use: release or openbeta, for i have both of them

I see main.py and installation.get_dcs_saved_games_directory() detecting something but cannot find a way to designate which DCS version to use

Please help!!

EDIT, NOTES:

When I launch the liberation_main.exe in DCS Liberation 2.0RC6, the console says using missionscripting.lua from RELEASE version.

But when i proceed with campaign, the liberation_next.miz file created in OPENBETA user save folder.

I can play with openbeta, but how do i play with release version?

Edited by zakk95

Guys, im so sorry for being late for the party. Khopa did truly a great work.

Im trying to find a way to specify which version of DCS to use: release or openbeta, for i have both of them

I see main.py and installation.get_dcs_saved_games_directory() detecting something but cannot find a way to designate which DCS version to use

Please help!!

EDIT, NOTES:

When I launch the liberation_main.exe in DCS Liberation 2.0RC6, the console says using missionscripting.lua from RELEASE version.

But when i proceed with campaign, the liberation_next.miz file created in OPENBETA user save folder.

I can play with openbeta, but how do i play with release version?

This mod seems to use your registry to find where DCS is installed. The registry entry points to the initial place DCS gets installed then never changes.

Search your registry for "DCS World". You may have to go through a few entries. Eventually you'll see one with a path pointing to the install directory. Modify that key to point to the DCS install you want to use.

Guys I just would like to thank the developers that created this impressive dynamic campaign system. Looks a lot like EECH dynamic campaign. I'm still flying the original release, but will also try khopa's version, with improved UI. Again, outstanding work! Thanks a lot!

Guys I just would like to thank the developers that created this impressive dynamic campaign system. Looks a lot like EECH dynamic campaign. I'm still flying the original release, but will also try khopa's version, with improved UI. Again, outstanding work! Thanks a lot!

Khopa's version isn't just a UI overhaul.

It is a complete overhaul of the entire system. Instead of generating small little chunks of the campaign for each mission, it simulates the entire conflict during each mission. You can see every flight go out and do their objectives as you do yours. It also takes into account all damage done by everything in a mission and that carries over to the next turn.

It is very similar to EECH now, that's a great comparison.

playing 1965 USA blue vs 1965 Russia red in Caucasus Spring Coldwar 1970 map.

getting this error when exiting mission:

Liberation_2_RC6_parse_error.png.cbbd1548b4c3a9ecb483e544a0208d0f.png

LP

modules:

F5-E / A4-E / A-10A / AJS-37 / SA-342 / UH-1H / Ka-50 / Mi-8 / CA

would buy:

OH-58 /AH-64A / AH-1 / Sepecat Jaguar / F-111

This mod seems to use your registry to find where DCS is installed. The registry entry points to the initial place DCS gets installed then never changes.

Search your registry for "DCS World". You may have to go through a few entries. Eventually you'll see one with a path pointing to the install directory. Modify that key to point to the DCS install you want to use.

I looked into the source code yesterday.

One thing is that there is no way to "designate" which version to use, understandable because most of users do not install both versions.

However strange thing is, when finding DCS installation directory it searches for the release version first then falls back to openbeta.

However, the save game folder is hardcoded to "Saved Games/DCS" , and does not search for "Saved Games/DCS.openbeta" at all. But this does not explain my current situation where the campaign "found" my release version install dir, however writes liberation_nextturn.miz to my openbeta save dir :cry: I must missing something..

Anyway if i can make some time I will add some codes to let the users to "select" which version of DCS to use. That would solve it.

One more thing, the campaign deletes Scripts/MissionScripts.lua and replaces with one provided inside the campaign package.

Most of the case, users dont edit the MissionScripts.lua file, still, I think it should at least notified or under user's discretion

1. It certainly increases user's security risk at least some degree.

By removing some protection provided with MissionScripts.lua, users face increased risk.

Other dynamic campaigns also have to comment out MissionScripts.lua, however, they "instruct" the users to do so and only notifies the security risks, i.e. the campaign does not act without consent. While this just deletes and replaces with less secure one, almost without notificiation and no way to reverse it by itself (maybe with dcs repair?)

I am not saying this to make something look bad, I love liberation from the day 1 and I am a little bit worried that this can bring needless arguments.

Suggestion is : asking user y/n in the console before replacing (for now, maybe later with qt ui), and make backup before replace, add instruction / readme to reverse the replace.

2. Some users have some codes in MissionScripting.lua and discovered I lost it by this campaign. A very rare case :) but If 1. can be solved this will be solved too naturally.

Anyway great thanks again to Khopa and I will wait for the next update! Thanks!

@khopa since your version is so different from shdwp's original... Well, I already asked for a new forum post, but might I suggest you enable the issues tracker in Github? Forums can be a really tedious way to track and submit these problems.

Keep up the fantastic work! The improvements look great, and I'm downloading and trying out RC6 right now!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think i found bug on new Caucasus map. Playing as Red i noticed that most of the scheduled flights are not generated.

After checking in mission editor it looks like both blue and red flights have their airport ownership trigger condition inverted. I then re-inverted conditions manually and flights started to spawn on schedule as expected.

It must have been annoying to edit all the triggers !

I found the issue and fixed it for the upcoming release. Thanksfor reporting that.

One more thing, the campaign deletes Scripts/MissionScripts.lua and replaces with one provided inside the campaign package.

Most of the case, users dont edit the MissionScripts.lua file, still, I think it should at least notified or under user's discretion

1. It certainly increases user's security risk at least some degree.

By removing some protection provided with MissionScripts.lua, users face increased risk.

Other dynamic campaigns also have to comment out MissionScripts.lua, however, they "instruct" the users to do so and only notifies the security risks, i.e. the campaign does not act without consent. While this just deletes and replaces with less secure one, almost without notificiation and no way to reverse it by itself (maybe with dcs repair?)

I am not saying this to make something look bad, I love liberation from the day 1 and I am a little bit worried that this can bring needless arguments.

Suggestion is : asking user y/n in the console before replacing (for now, maybe later with qt ui), and make backup before replace, add instruction / readme to reverse the replace.

2. Some users have some codes in MissionScripting.lua and discovered I lost it by this campaign. A very rare case but If 1. can be solved this will be solved too naturally.

Anyway great thanks again to Khopa and I will wait for the next update! Thanks!

There is a warning about that in the "Getting started" guide, as it can indeed cause security issues.

But, you're entirely right, and a lot of people will probably not bother reading the guide...

I'd like this to be as much automated as possible, not to bother the users with manually editing files. So i think i will add a warning window on first start, asking the users for consent regarding modification of this file.

And another improvement could also be to restore the original MissionScripts.lua when the DCS Liberation program exits.

I'm sorry for your custom code, i hope you did not lose anything important. :(

playing 1965 USA blue vs 1965 Russia red in Caucasus Spring Coldwar 1970 map.

getting this error when exiting mission:

You have to edit the file : "Scripts/MissionScripts.lua" and overwrite it by the content of the file : "<dcs_liberation_folder>/resources/Scripts/MissionScripting.lua", and then restart DCS.

However, this should be automatically done by DCS Liberation, but maybe it didn't figured out your DCS installation directory.

If you don't do this, the mission file cannot write on disk the status of the campaign for DCS Liberation to proceed. (This file contains info about the units/buildings that were destroyed during the mission, and base capture events.)

Maybe it is also because DCS was already running when you first launched DCS Liberation ? (Then the updated file would maybe not have been loaded by DCS world Lua engine and you would run into this error)

@khopa since your version is so different from shdwp's original... Well, I already asked for a new forum post, but might I suggest you enable the issues tracker in Github? Forums can be a really tedious way to track and submit these problems.

I added the issue tracker on my Github fork.

I think i'll do a new forum thread and maybe a post on hoggit when i'll feel that the experience is polished enough. For now, there are still issues that needs to be resolved.

I have already a lot of feedback with the limited set of users that subscribed this thread and on the DCS Liberation Discord.

Directory error "saved games"

Hello, first sorry for my English, it is a google translation

Due to space and speed issues, I have "DCS World Openbeta" installed on disk G; and Games Saved to disk F:

G: \ DCS World OpenBeta and F: \ Saved Games \ DCS.openbeta

I have installed everything and prepared a campaign but when I go to generate the first mission it indicates this error to me and does absolutely nothing else.

9a391b39398318a59947e9306e7fb822.png

It search DCS directory in C: and not found DCS Openbeta in F:

I have also checked the windows registry and all the keys are correct.

Some way to fix it.

Thank you.

Edited by Pkdos

Hello, I struggled few days with this error:

FileNotFoundError: No such file or directory: (my steam directory)\\steamapps\\common\\DCSWorld\\\\Scripts/MissionScripting.lua"
I searched solution from registry editor but the problem in my case, is in this file:

\\steam\steamapps\libraryfolders.vdf
This is how it looks in my system:

"LibraryFolders"

{

"TimeNextStatsReport" "1591464643"

"ContentStatsID" "-4785445023380545847"

}

If I manually edit the file and add this third line:

"LibraryFolders"

{

"TimeNextStatsReport" "1591464643"

"ContentStatsID" "-4785445023380545847"

"1" "E:\\Steam"

}

Liberation App start and all works, but I must edit the file always after Steam is started, it will remove the last line from the file.

Hey Khopa,

When you can please add the new P47 (being released today), if possible also add the new Channel map.

One last note, I can't fly the FW190A8 (not able to add clients slots).

Sorry to bother you with so many ww2 requests. It's just that besides we have some pretty good historical campaigns, we lack dynamic campaings like yours. Some ww2 birds even lack usermade single missions and campaigns.

Thanks in advance and we really appreciate your work.

Edited by diogofalcao

A-10C / AJS-37 / AV-8B / BF-109 / KA-50 / F-14 / F-16C / F-5E / F/A-18C / FC3 / JF-17 / F-86 / M-2000C / MiG-21bis / P-51D / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / UH-1H Huey

Hello, first sorry for my English, it is a google translation

Due to space and speed issues, I have "DCS World Openbeta" installed on disk G; and Games Saved to disk F:

G: \ DCS World OpenBeta and F: \ Saved Games \ DCS.openbeta

I have installed everything and prepared a campaign but when I go to generate the first mission it indicates this error to me and does absolutely nothing else.

9a391b39398318a59947e9306e7fb822.png

It search DCS directory in C: and not found DCS Openbeta in F:

I have also checked the windows registry and all the keys are correct.

Some way to fix it.

Thank you.

It seems the campaign searches for "Saved Games \ DCS",not "Saved Games \DCS.openbeta".

Short term solution would be make a shortcut (better with symbolic link from mklink command) which symbolically links physical "Saved Games \ DCS" folder to virtual "Saved Games \DCS.openbeta"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

BE SURE TO BACKUP your saved games folder just in case

in the long term the campaign would be able to choose or prioritize which version to use eventually!

Hello guys, for all people who have trouble running it, in the next version you will be able to set up the "Saved Games" directory, and "DCS Installation directory" manually in case there is an issue with the automatic resolution attempt. Hopefully this will make it much easier to run.

So I'd advise to wait for the next version if you're still having issues, and not to mess around with your registry keys or your Steam library location files.

Great campaign. Would you mind including the supercarrier lua mods like this one, to get a real good carrier imersion?

Yes that would be interesting. I'll have to see how it works.

But in the next version, there will be a setting to make the AI start from parking slots.

So you will have parked aircrafts on your deck, if you have carrier planes scheduled for departure.

When you can please add the new P47 (being released today), if possible also add the new Channel map.

Yes, i intend to add at least the P-47 for the next release.

Indeed there is an issue with the FW_190A8 not being flyable.

The map might take a bit longer to include.

------------------

I have less time available this week, so you might have to wait for this week end for the new release.