AIM-9 Tone

Catah

Ok, hopefully this is in the right part of the forum for this post. This is something that's been on my mind for a while. Originally, I always thought the AIM-9's growling tone was initially a low growl, which would increase frequency/pitch (but still the same growling tone) when locked to a heat signature. However once I started flying the A-10C and F-5 in DCS I noticed that it starts with the high freq/pitch growl as its idle tone and goes to a flat, much higher tone (not the growling tone) when locked.

So my question is: What is the sound of the AIM-9 in real life? Are all these sounds real and change based on which aircraft it is or which variant of the AIM-9 it is? Or is one of these sounds only existing within the sim world?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's two types of seekers used in AIM-9, AM modulated (older ones) and FM (AIM-9L/M) modulated. The AM modulated seeker will get louder as the target gets closer to the center of FOV and then finally go silent with perfect lock. FM modulated will get both louder and higher pitched as the target moves closer to the FOV center.

AM modulation:

FM modulation:

• Like 1

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

There's two types of seekers used in AIM-9, AM modulated (older ones) and FM (AIM-9L/M) modulated. The AM modulated seeker will get louder as the target gets closer to the center of FOV and then finally go silent with perfect lock. FM modulated will get both louder and higher pitched as the target moves closer to the FOV center.

AM modulation:

FM modulation:

Thanks! That answers my question perfectly. The videos are exactly of what I was thinking of.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]