Litening for Hornet

ebabil

I cannot wait for LITENING.

I am so looking forward to being able to do full 9-line CAS with a sensor and lasing like we had in A-10C. For those of you that never flew the Hawg, you are going to love having the LITENING on your jet!

I'm eagerly awaiting for the LITENING also.

What's a "9-line" Close Air Support ?

Is that IRIS-T on the spanish f18???

Now THIS is what I'd like to use - go away 9x.

Ah, sure.

nvm.

It seems so.

But why would you prefer it that much over the AIM-9X ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's when a well known moderator and community manager here tidies up the threads rdlaugh.png

Joke aside, have a look at how to drop GBUs with the Hornet until there's a "teapot", e.g. LITENING II, availabe. That's the 9-line stuff.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The 9 line format is used by a JTAC (aka FAC) on the ground to control close air support by aircraft.

Close air support is when the ordnance is to be dropped in close proximity to friendly forces. The JTACs job is to ensure the pilot engages the correct targets, without endangering the friendly forces. Even if the aircraft is equipped with a targeting pod, this does not negate the need for a JTAC and brief when in close proximity to friendlies.

The 9 line format is standardized and provides all the necessary info to do this. It can be seen in game when you use the AI JTACs, and is as follows:

1 - Initial point

2 - brg from IP to target;

3 - rge from IP to target;

4 - target elevation in MSL;

5 - target description;

6 - target location (grid);

7 - mark to be used;

8 - location of friendlies;

9 - egress direction

Remarks and restrictions: may include mandatory attack headings, time on target, weapon to be used, etc.

Mandatory readbacks are lines 4,6 and remarks.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I cannot wait for LITENING.

I am so looking forward to being able to do full 9-line CAS with a sensor and lasing like we had in A-10C. For those of you that never flew the Hawg, you are going to love having the LITENING on your jet!

+1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's when a well known moderator and community manager here tidies up the threads rdlaugh.png

Joke aside, have a look at how to drop GBUs with the Hornet until there's a "teapot", e.g. LITENING II, availabe. That's the 9-line stuff.

The 9 line format is used by a JTAC (aka FAC) on the ground to control close air support by aircraft.

Close air support is when the ordnance is to be dropped in close proximity to friendly forces. The JTACs job is to ensure the pilot engages the correct targets, without endangering the friendly forces. Even if the aircraft is equipped with a targeting pod, this does not negate the need for a JTAC and brief when in close proximity to friendlies.

The 9 line format is standardized and provides all the necessary info to do this. It can be seen in game when you use the AI JTACs, and is as follows:

1 - Initial point

5 - target description;

7 - mark to be used;

9 - egress direction

Remarks and restrictions: may include mandatory attack headings, time on target, weapon to be used, etc.

Very good, thank you both!

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I'm eagerly awaiting for the LITENING also.

It seems so.

But why would you prefer it that much over the AIM-9X ?

Yes spanish hornets are much like C version capability wise..and can employ iris-t and meteor missiles

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I dont think they can employ meteor missiles as of now. I could be wrong though .

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

According to this book, which I happen to own they can.

But maybe it is only a software compatibility but they don’t employ it..

34d8ab2cf03baf6abb538044348ab8b9.jpg

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

According to this book, which I happen to own they can.

But maybe it is only a software compatibility but they don’t employ it..

34d8ab2cf03baf6abb538044348ab8b9.jpg

Yeah I think its down to that. As of now the only meteor operator that happens to have the hornet is Spain (did i leave anyone out?), and in this case, I think Meteor will be left for the Typhoons. However in spain there is a unit called CLAEX in charge of SW updates and weapons integration, and i'm pretty sure they will integrate the meteor with the hornet, just in case there is an operational need. BTW is there any pictures of hornets with meteors already? :)

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

1 - Initial point

5 - target description;

7 - mark to be used;

9 - egress direction

You may have meant "restrictions" are mandatory readbacks. Remarks are not mandatory.

Only 4, 6, restrictions and the JTAC can also request additional readbacks.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

You may have meant "restrictions" are mandatory readbacks. Remarks are not mandatory.

Only 4, 6, restrictions and the JTAC can also request additional readbacks.

Yes, that’s what I meant :)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Any idea on how these pods are interacted with in the cockpit. The Hog spoiled me by allowing almost exclusive operation through HOTAS, while the Harrier requires a lot of MFCD button pushes. Just curious where the Hornet is on the spectrum of user friendliness when it comes to TGP's.

You have the fov button for magnification and sensor select switch for selecting ddi...other then that is more similar to the harrier then to the A10...no china hat and no data management switch for zooming

No, only "several improvements include weapon accuracy and pullup cue...." like Wags said.

Maybe we get Datalink and HARM updates on February 27th. After that in March, I hope for the targeting pod.

Not so fast... "Next week we plan a new Open Beta with some new and exciting Hornet features!" was what was in the weekend update on Friday. I'd expect to see at least the HARM and Datalink in the next beta...... Although, the Litening POD is probably still pretty far off.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

• 1 year later...

so ultimately ED decided to add litening 2, on station 4 cheek capability even though neither US Navy nor USMC F/A18C hornets flew in such configuration.....

so much for authentic loadouts. Aim120 for wingtips when?

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Isn't the cheek station uses by other f18 drivers like Canadian and maybe Spain?

I know there was comment that ED was targeting the USN/USMC specific ones, but it let's other countries use their actual loadouts and those that don't want to, don't have to I guess.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Isn't the cheek station uses by other f18 drivers like Canadian and maybe Spain?

I know there was comment that ED was targeting the USN/USMC specific ones, but it let's other countries use their actual loadouts and those that don't want to, don't have to I guess.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I know for sure RCAF uses the cheek station.

I like how people complain because the TPOD can't be mounted on the cheek station, then ED adds the capability, and people complain again that it shouldn't be mountable on the cheek station. ED really can't win with this community.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD