Like whats deal with these coordinates?

Hey good people,

Could some one explain the Co ordinate type that's in these missions? I've never come across this type before and maybe not entering them in my CDU correctly because both Mission 3 and 4 have been a nightmare in relation to finding targets once co ordinates are entered. Eg: mission # 3 Co ordinates format 38T KN 94414518 which later changed to 944452 both sets of co ordinates found a forest and no targets. I'm not whining about this but it's starting to get a little frustrating. Ok just now.. mission# 4 38T LN 162343 location of target over 60 miles away, I didn't bother flying there. I'm trying to understand this format of co ordinates, I've never seen them before, what happened to the good ole Lat/Long or 10 Digit UTM? I'm either not understanding these types of co ordinates and therefore not entering them correctly or there's some issues regarding them. I would sure love if someone let me know how they are loading them into their CDU and TGP does the rest as per usual. I've flown near 3 hrs with zero tgt acquisition. And the missions so far have been great except for this issue. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Regards G

noexpression.gif

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

MGRS/UTM coordinates can be any between 2 and 10 digits depending on the level of precision required. The computer should format automatically (i.e. entering LN162243 should produce LN1620024300)

A 10 digit grid gets you within 1 meter, 8 digit within 10 meters, 6 digit within 100 meters and so on.

Remember when in mountainous regions (such as the one in mission 3, if I'm remembering correctly) there's a very good chance that the point you actually should be looking at will be masked by terrain when you first put the sensors on it.

Edited by feefifofum
  • Thanks 1

Phew! Thanks a bunch!

MGRS/UTM coordinates can be any between 2 and 10 digits depending on the level of precision required. The computer should format automatically (i.e. entering LN162243 should produce LN1620024300)

A 10 digit grid gets you within 1 meter, 8 digit within 10 meters, 6 digit within 100 meters and so on.

Remember when in mountainous regions (such as the one in mission 3, if I'm remembering correctly) there's a very good chance that the point you actually should be looking at will be masked by terrain when you first put the sensors on it.

Thanks big time Fee, your a legend mate!

Just tell me though.. with 38T LN162343

Does the 38T represent the actual Grid or is it some other designate?

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Ok mystery solved

38T is the most general grid and if it does not change in further messages it is omitted for brevity sake. But for Caucasus if 38T doesn’t work then try 37T, there is no other option.

Thank you very much for your input BD, it was freakin me out.

The missions are a big improve. Can't wait to experience more. And so nice to be back in the HOG

Cheers G

thumbup.gif

Edited by GazAce

I've used 38T for missions 3-4 and am now on five. These coordinates are easier to enter when you are flying. Just set path hold in a 20 degree orbit and enter the coordinates in the cdu.

What I like to do is set the cdu to display the waypoints page then I enter a name for my new waypoint. Then I press the button with a number for example 10? next to it(right side of cdu) and it will move up to the next waypoint for example in this case it will show '11?' which means your waypoint that you will be navigating to is at waypoint 10. I then make sure I'm in lat long mode, usually on bottom right side of the cdu you can select lat long or GPRS.

38T is the grid and you enter this first then hit the button next to it on the left side to change it from 37T to 38T. I then enter KN1695978 or whatever the jtac or person coordinating with you calls out.

Make sure the left knob below the cdu is set to mission and the right knob to other.

Then you can change waypoints on the HUD to the new one you just entered.

On these missions your TGP won't see much until you are pretty much over the target or 4-5 miles from it. Mission 3 you won't see the smoke until you are on top of the waypoint because it's in between the mountains. The first time I did it I forgot to change from 37T so I ended up seeing nothing but an empty field.

Also, learn mark points and how to set them. Cdu mode should be set to Mark and other knob to Other. You can use your TGP to scroll over targets and hit tms right short to create a markpoint of that target.

This way the TGP stays locked on the mark point when you are maneuvering in for an attack as long as you don't slew away.

When you are not in mark point mode and using a spi, it seems to break it's lock on the target and often times I've fired or dropped bombs in the wrong area.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Co ordinates stuff

I've used 38T for missions 3-4 and am now on five. These coordinates are easier to enter when you are flying. Just set path hold in a 20 degree orbit and enter the coordinates in the cdu.

What I like to do is set the cdu to display the waypoints page then I enter a name for my new waypoint. Then I press the button with a number for example 10? next to it(right side of cdu) and it will move up to the next waypoint for example in this case it will show '11?' which means your waypoint that you will be navigating to is at waypoint 10. I then make sure I'm in lat long mode, usually on bottom right side of the cdu you can select lat long or GPRS.

38T is the grid and you enter this first then hit the button next to it on the left side to change it from 37T to 38T. I then enter KN1695978 or whatever the jtac or person coordinating with you calls out.

Make sure the left knob below the cdu is set to mission and the right knob to other.

Then you can change waypoints on the HUD to the new one you just entered.

On these missions your TGP won't see much until you are pretty much over the target or 4-5 miles from it. Mission 3 you won't see the smoke until you are on top of the waypoint because it's in between the mountains. The first time I did it I forgot to change from 37T so I ended up seeing nothing but an empty field.

Also, learn mark points and how to set them. Cdu mode should be set to Mark and other knob to Other. You can use your TGP to scroll over targets and hit tms right short to create a markpoint of that target.

This way the TGP stays locked on the mark point when you are maneuvering in for an attack as long as you don't slew away.

When you are not in mark point mode and using a spi, it seems to break it's lock on the target and often times I've fired or dropped bombs in the wrong area.

Hey thanks a bunch sze5003, very kind of you man.

I’m pretty ok with my CDU and Markpoint usage but I know on a personal level there’s always something more to learn and that’s one of the reasons why I love DCS and the HOG so much. I particularly like the “Z” weapon release markpoint feature, it’s really good for re aquirung targets if they’re on the move and you happen to lose them. You know what, over the last few years on and off I’ve managed to complete every campaign and default A-10C mission in DCS besides the Basic & Advance Training ones but I do plan on doing them also. So, in all those missions I flew previously I can’t recall ever having to use a Grid coordinate. So it threw me a curve ball and because I wasn’t familiar with it, I lacked understanding. Now, I think it’s awesome that BD has created it this way because it makes me think and do things with my CDU a little differently. I got used to doing it a certain way over time and that was that. And also I guess I’m guilty of becoming a little too lazy with it.

Thanks again, I appreciate your input.

GA

:thumbup:

Edited by GazAce
Spelling

Hey thanks a bunch sze5003, very kind of you man.

I’m pretty ok with my CDU and Markpoint usage but I know on a personal level there’s always something more to learn and that’s one of the reasons why I love DCS and the HOG so much. I particularly like the “Z” weapon release markpoint feature, it’s really good for re aquirung targets if they’re on the move and you happen to lose them. You know what, over the last few years on and off I’ve managed to complete every campaign and default A-10C mission in DCS besides the Basic & Advance Training ones but I do plan on doing them also. So, in all those missions I flew previously I can’t recall ever having to use a Grid coordinate. So it threw me a curve ball and because I wasn’t familiar with it, I lacked understanding. Now, I think it’s awesome that BD has created it this way because it makes me think and do things with my CDU a little differently. I got used to doing it a certain way over time and that was that. And also I guess I’m guilty of becoming a little too lazy with it.

Thanks again, I appreciate your input.

GA

No worries always happy to help. The hog will always be close to me as that's the first module I got and well what I actually wanted to fly before the Air Force told me my vision isn't good enough lol. I don't know about the Z mark point feature and I'll have to look that up because acquiring the targets on the move has been a bit of a challenge for me in DCS especially with VR.

Passed mission 5 today and loving the campaign. Really glad it got remade into this latest version because it just feels much more alive and interactive.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

TEW 3.0 is a step up

Wow Airforce.. that’s interesting. Yea my first plane I was flying here was the SU27, remember about 4 yrs ago flying this campaign called The Ultimate Argument but years before that I reckon near 10 yrs ago now I bought this boxed Black Shark Ka50 on a disk and that’s when I discovered DCS, was all very exciting. The Z markpoint is not really for target acquisition, it’s more a of a tool I use when I lose those units after I release a weapon or weapons on them. It by default marks the point where your last munition was released and also subsequently replacing that markpoint with a new one each time you release. Soon as you flick your rotary dial to Mark it appears in your HUD then you can create SPI and scope around with your TGP to find the units if they’ve moved away or you may have just lost their position. Whatever, it’s a handy little tool to have in the bag. And yea this Campaign is a total step up and I’ve only played 4 missions. Congrats to BD for this one as I think it’s going to be something very special and what perfect timing to bring this one home. Just when the HOG was needing a little love around here, you know with all the hype these last couple of years regarding DCS’s shiney new toy The Hornet which is an amazing achievement, I think the HOG was a little unintentionally neglected. So I’m thinking this campaign should regenerate an interest in the HOG. There is no better combat flight sim in the market today that offers the immersion and realism that we have here. So the HOG and this Campaign I think would be an awesome entry level for peeps. Oh man I’m rambling again lol. Ok I’ll finish off, I think TEW 3.0 will become a DCS all time great and a benchmark for all other A-10C campaigns to follow. I only wish I could retire to spend more time flying these missions instead of working.

Take it easy, have fun with it, peace out

:thumbup:

Edited by GazAce
Spelling sucked