MI-8 losing power problem

Since there is no forum for the MI-8 I figured I'd post it here, since it is the only helicopter with its own forum.

I went to fly a mission in the MI-8 today, the start procedure goes normally. But the moment I attempt to take off I get generator failures and not enough power going to the rotors to take off.

I have done the start procedure as I have many times before, and I have made multiple attempts paying extreme attention to my start checklist. But each time, I am unable to get enough lift to lift-off and I have failures in the various generators. I don't have random system failures set up for the helicopter on this mission either.

I've done many missions in the Mi-8, it being one of my favorite aircraft in the game. But this is the first time I have had this problem. What it seems to be acting like is the throttle isn't going to 100%, but I have checked the axis mapping and everything is in order.

Any ideas?

Need a little more information as well... Map, map location, QFE, fuel load, weapons load, air temperature. Are you using the PSS?

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

if you are at high altitude like a mountain or very heavy, mi-8 struggles to take off. try rolling take off

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Generators going off indicate rotor RPM dropping below 90-ish %, so the question is why it's doing that. If you're absolutely sure the throttle is set to max before takeoff, than maybe as ebabil noted, you're lifting off too heavy, too fast and too high. Monitor your rotor RPM gauge carefully.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

TBh, i never moved the throttle ( YES--FACEPALM !!!) but even then I could land and take-off again in the high mountain areas deploying EWR's and SAM sites.

True..sliding down the hill for 20m helps a lot in generating lift, but even without...just do it slow or you bounce the AP and Gyros

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

TBh, i never moved the throttle ( YES--FACEPALM !!!) but even then I could land and take-off again in the high mountain areas deploying EWR's and SAM sites.

True..sliding down the hill for 20m helps a lot in generating lift, but even without...just do it slow or you bounce the AP and Gyros

When you raise the collective, it moves the throttle lever up a bit automatically. Possibly this is how you managed to fly without twisting the throttle?

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

When you raise the collective, it moves the throttle lever up a bit automatically. Possibly this is how you managed to fly without twisting the throttle?

Must have been cause I never knew what it was used for :P

I usually am the one that tells others that bug me to read the damn manual for things they operate and own...but totally misobey this for myself in DCS, never read a single manual in DCS tbh. I meanwhile prefer YT vids and trial& error...as you see with gaps opening up.

RTFM to myself !

edit* havent flown the Mi-8 for a couple days and I am eager to see how good it performs now that I can use the full power setting..haha !!!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I love this kind of issue. I have real world flight experience in the SH-3H Sea King. Both the Mi-8 and SH-3 are similar to a point. In the H-3 we would use one engine for the main drive to power the rotor-head and the other would be backed off to power auxiliary systems. Lately, I have have been flying the Mi-8 in the same manner. I have had no issues backing down No. 1 to idle and using No. 2 for the rotor. I was shocked to see this actually modeled. I just assumed it was not.

Now as for unloading that rotor. Just like the H-3 you have to calculate your descent. Every approach to the USS Saratoga CV-60 (AGE ALERT!!!!) was slow and deliberate. You can do a tail whip and unload a ton of speed but you have to ready to go from forward transition to hover in a few seconds. And, the transition from forward flight to hover is modeled beautifully. I often thought the H-3 was going to come apart even at slow transition. Once we were coming into Patrick AFB, FL, on our way to AUTEC, Andros Is. Bahamas and the transition was so violent we thought we we lost a blade tip. Again, beautifully modeled with the Mi-8. Glad you figured it out!! :)

BitMaster, I'm more intrigued how long were your flights with inop generators (and thus without numerous systems, i.e. autopilot). The DCS Hip must have pretty good batteries then :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

BitMaster, I'm more intrigued how long were your flights with inop generators (and thus without numerous systems, i.e. autopilot). The DCS Hip must have pretty good batteries then :D.

No No-Autopilot, the lever is "usually" in the middle position as I actually have it mapped to my Throttle. I always have all AP's avalable but hardly make use of any of the 2 optional ones in combat. Flying low and fast is not good with too many APs employed. At least this is the way I "enjoy" DCS, mostly manual work, the pure joy of flying.

My flights can actually last very long as I always try to stay alive, hide, etc...BUT..I never managed to run out of fuel in The Mi-8, the lowest I usually get when on BF is like 30%. YOu have to fly a lot to consume 70% in combat envo, with all those F15s and M2000s above :joystick:

I think it is tuned to "half open" then I guess.

Also, I use AutoStart most of the time as I am lazy, so things might interfere here if the AutoStart puts it to full open whereas my HOTAS says"half open". I guess as soon as I slightly touch the slider the HOTAS wins :doh:

I really have no idea other than that I left that slider in the middle, mapped as axis to my WH throttle. I had the feeling when I open it ( full forward ) the engines run at different speed, asynchronous, and thus misinterpreted the function obviously. DANG AGAIN

RTFM Bit, at least for the ones you love to fly !

:music_whistling:

Thing is, if there was a good ol' manual, you know, like in the BLA BLA old days, it would be at the man's best place, had markings all over and I would have read it twice by now.

I have it as PDF on my smartphone, I actually have or had all of them of the modules I own

on my iphone...just reading them on such a screen from a-z is a pain. For quick reference its ok

One more thing...

Use the collective twist grip for throttle control, not the levers. If you have the levers all the way up, the rotor governor will tend to overspeed the rotors (nominal RPM is 95%).

See this post for details: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3118129&postcount=5

(AlphaOneSix is a real Mi-8 crew chief as well as BST dev)

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Did the check:

Autostart twists the grip to full open, that seemed to have saved me.

Only when i touch the slider1 on wh throttle it resets itself to slider position.

I am aware of it now LoL

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

its been moved before you posted I guess...