Phantom Monitor Fix

This is a small fix for the phantom monitor issue when using a multi-monitor setup. Just keep the exe running in the background and it will reposition the application window once the mission is loaded.

Here is an example of my lua files with a secondary monitor with 1280x1024 resolution on the left side of my main display with a resolution of 1680x1050. No need to let the graphics card work on a third phantom monitor.

options.lua

["graphics"] =

{

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "modified",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 3,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 1.6,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 3,

["display_mode"] =

{

["avi"] =

{

["bpp"] = 32,

["resolution"] = "640x480",

["full_screen"] = false,

["aspect"] = 1.333333333,

["height"] = 480,

["width"] = 640,

}, -- end of ["avi"]

}, -- end of ["display_mode"]

["effects"] = 3,

["lights"] = 2,

["haze"] = 1,

["terrPrld"] = "20",

["height"] = 1050,

["resolution"] = "2960x1050",

["civTraffic"] = 0,

["width"] = 2960,

}, -- end of ["graphics"]

} -- end of options

modified.lua

Description = 'modified'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1280;

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

}

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 768;

height = 1024;

}

Shkval =

{

x = 768;

y = 320;

width = 512;

height = 384;

}

PhantomMonitorFix.rar

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers mate, I'll check it out.

do you have the source code available? no offence, but I don't usually go running random .exe's.

Cheers

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

This is a small fix for the phantom monitor issue when using a multi-monitor setup. Just keep the exe running in the background and it will reposition the application window once the mission is loaded.

Here is an example of my lua files with a secondary monitor with 1280x1024 resolution on the left side of my main display with a resolution of 1680x1050. No need to let the graphics card work on a third phantom monitor.

You have the same resolutions as I do. I'll give this a test when I get home later. Have you seen any FPS increase with this setup over the phantom monitor?

man...

this came just in time...

i tested this out on my system spec.

Core Duo E8500

8800GTS G92 512MB

Vista x64

46" Sharp LC46D64U (1920x1080)

20" Acer X203W (864x1124)

i was on multiplayer...i can see fps, and the red box control indicator now with no problems!

starts off at 15fps, then the rest of the time its like 20-30 fps (WITH AFFINITY ON BOTH CORES ON) on the dual core

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Just tried this myself and confirm that it works. I changed the monitor lua file to keep my camera on the left hand display (1680x1050) with the ABRIS and Shkval on the right (1280x1024).

Have not yet had time to check for any performance improvements but the "Controls" (CTRL-ENTER) panel and frame rate counter are both visible which is a very good sign.

Vista 64 Ultimate

Samsung 226BW - 1680x1050

Viewsonic VX922 - 1280x1024

--

Murphy

Yes it does work. I can now see the FPS counter in the upper left now. Although, the messages on the right are still split between screens and the comms menu still shows on the other screen also. But, thanks for this cypher1312. We seem to be getting closer and closer to a complete fix.

Reps coming your way.

Edited by Mxyzpylk

I tired again with DCS Multi Monnitor Set Up.

I was avble to positione the shkval on my left mini-touchscrenn.

The issue I have though, is that I either can see the cockpipt (left screen stays black) or if I Alt-Tab out to the Desktop, I see the Shkval filling out my left (secondary) screen. Any idea what I might do wrong?

Edited by JaBoG32_Prinzartus

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

My FPS average around 30 with all settings on high, water on medium and no civ traffic. Of course I'm still running in windowed mode. Don't know if this hack will allow full screen mode. I'll try it tonight when I get home from work. I'm also running the dual core affinity script.

Edited by Mxyzpylk
added info

@Hannibal

Don´t see any difference between Full Screen Mode and windowed mode while flying. I don´t care about span mode or not, I can use affinity set and use both kernels under vista, having a mean fps of 35-50 with ABRIS and Shkval on secondary monitors. What can XP?

@Rest of the world

The Phantom Monitor Fix really works fantastic for me!

This must be rewarded.

@Hannibal

Don´t see any difference between Full Screen Mode and windowed mode while flying. I don´t care about span mode or not, I can use affinity set and use both kernels under vista, having a mean fps of 35-50 with ABRIS and Shkval on secondary monitors. What can XP?

what monitors do you use, and at what resolution? can i see your options.lua, and your monitorsetup file?

with x64 VISTA ultimate, when i choose full screen checked on, exit out of singleplayer, and double click on multiplayer, DCS.exe crashes with appcrash error

i run a resolution of 2784x1080. mirrors off, water normal. no heat blur.

left monitor is 46" @ 1920x1080 (camera) and right monitor 20" (portrait mode) is 864x1124 (ABRIS)

AA & AF is application controlled in nvidia control panel (8800GTS 512)

i get an fps of 15-30. this also with affinity checked on 2 cores. (i have E8500 Core Duo)

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG THAT I AM NOT GETTING 35-50 fps?

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

So this is usable in MP? Running in windows mode costs me about 20 FPS so I will probably be waiting for a patch/modification that makes the implementation easier.

what monitors do you use, and at what resolution? can i see your options.lua, and your monitorsetup file?

with x64 VISTA ultimate, when i choose full screen checked on, exit out of singleplayer, and double click on multiplayer, DCS.exe crashes with appcrash error

i run a resolution of 2784x1080. mirrors off, water normal. no heat blur.

left monitor is 46" @ 1920x1080 (camera) and right monitor 20" (portrait mode) is 864x1124 (ABRIS)

AA & AF is application controlled in nvidia control panel (8800GTS 512)

i get an fps of 15-30. this also with affinity checked on 2 cores. (i have E8500 Core Duo)

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG THAT I AM NOT GETTING 35-50 fps?

Hello Hannibal,

unfortunately I am at work, so I will not be able to post my .lua until I return home...

I have two monitors, 19 and 17 inch, running on 1280x 1024. Running in windowed mode. (46 inch, *sigh* 3;O) )

Computer: Vista 32 on Intel CoreDuo E 8650 4 GB RAM, 4 GB via Memory-Boost, Mainboard Asus A5 with Radeon 4870 with 1Gb of Memory, AA, Filtering etc. controlled by Graphics Card.

Programs in the Background: TrackIR, Smoothboard (I use WiiMote Project to emulate a TouchScreen) and AffinitySet.

I think, the clue is your higher resolution with almost comparable hardware (except for your monitors...), though I changed my old GeForce 8800 GTS 640 to the Radeon lately, that made a difference of about 10 fps (for me..)

Seems as if the Graphics Card Memory plays a larger role, also...

Greetings...

• 3 weeks later...

I need help tweaking my 2 monitor set up please ; running abris and shkval on right monitor , shkval is on left side and abris on right side .

problems are ;

-no info bar (bottom of screen) well it's "there" but shows no info , so it's just a bar , I want the info back ;)

-can't display framerate counter anymore , I guess it's lost on the phantom monitor .

-can't take screenshots , makes the whole game crash .

-I see weird color under the shkval part of my screen , any way to set this to black or something ?

using Vista Ultimate 64 bits , system info in sig . running both displays at 1280/1024 , desktop set to same or no display on secondary monitor .

here's my settings ;

---------------------------

["graphics"] =

{

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "pit_camera+abris+shkval",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 3,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 3.75,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 2,

["display_mode"] =

{

["avi"] =

{

["bpp"] = 32,

["full_screen"] = false,

["height"] = 480,

["width"] = 640,

}, -- end of ["avi"]

["effects"] = 3,

["lights"] = 2,

["haze"] = 1,

["terrPrld"] = "20",

["height"] = 1024,

["resolution"] = "1280x1024",

["civTraffic"] = 1,

["width"] = 3840,

} -- end of options

----------------------------

pit_camera+abris+shkval;

--------------------------------

Description = 'ABRIS and Shkval on the right and camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1280;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.25;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = 2560;

y = 341;

width = 640;

height = 640/2;

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 3200;

y = 0;

width = 640;

height = 1024;

}

-------------

from what I read on your phantommonitor.exe fix it can help me play multi with 2 monitors and bring my fps counter back .

I'd like config info for 1280x1024 for each displays with cockpit on left display and shkval and abris on the right display .

I want shkval near the cockpit so left side of right monitor .

please help :cry:

thanks

[sIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/madmaxx69/LOMAC/Rykesig1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Savage 77th , http://s77th.com

|Core i7 920|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|GTX 285|9600GT-OC|6G DDR3|Softh on 3x22"CRTs|Tir2|yeahIsaidTir2|X-45|Haf 932|Vista Ultimate 64|

Glad to see some people got a use out of the my script. Unfortunately i did't really have time to play much myself. S77th-RYKE pm'd me with the above post and i might aswell share my answer, maybe it helps someone.

---

Hi

Yes, framerate counter and info bar get lost on the phantom monitor. So does either the radio menu or the radio responses depending on which side the phantom monitor is. With the fix i'm proposing you get them back as you don't need a phantom monitor any more.

The weird color under you shkval is from the loading screen picture. On my computer it's c:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\FUI\Common\StartImage-2.bmp. Just back it up and replace it with a black 2048x1024 24bit bmp (use Photoshop or something like that).

For your configs, if you use my script you can just use settings like you would expect them. So in options.lua

["resolution"] = "2560x1024",

["width"]=2560,

and the lua for your setup would change to something like:

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.25;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = 1280;

y = 341;

width = 640;

height = 640/2;

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 640;

height = 1024;

}

With the screenshot problems, i don't know - might work now too with the lower overall resolution.

---

edit: corrected some mistakes in the configs

thanks a lot , off to test

:)

=======edit=======

so far no luck , working on it

=================

Edited by S77th-RYKE
update

[sIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/madmaxx69/LOMAC/Rykesig1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

|Core i7 920|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|GTX 285|9600GT-OC|6G DDR3|Softh on 3x22"CRTs|Tir2|yeahIsaidTir2|X-45|Haf 932|Vista Ultimate 64|

happy to report it's working good .Thanks Cypher1312 for your help .

working fps counter , working multiplayer menu screen , unable to take screenshots , avidll or some such error message .

here's my config for 2 monitors ,both at 1280x1024 cockpit on the left and shkval and abris on the right , a big shkval with good proportions and slightly smaller abris.

options.lua

===================

["graphics"] =

{

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "modified",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 2,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 2.5,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 3,

["display_mode"] =

{

["avi"] =

{

["bpp"] = 32,

["full_screen"] = false,

["height"] = 480,

["width"] = 640,

}, -- end of ["avi"]

["effects"] = 3,

["lights"] = 2,

["haze"] = 1,

["terrPrld"] = "20",

["height"] = 1024,

["resolution"] = "2560x1024",

["civTraffic"] = 1,

["width"] = 2560,

} -- end of options

============================

modified.lua

============================

Description = 'modified'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.25;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = 1280;

y = 325;

width = 700;

height = 780/2;

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 1980;

y = 0;

width = 580;

height = 800;

}

=========================

Excellent work cypher.

My fps seems pegged at 30 fps. I run quite low settings, and can sometimes get into the low 100's without multimonitor, but now it stays smoothly at 30 exactly - could this be as a result of windowed mode, or some kind of vsync issue?

Vista 32, left monitor 1680X1050, right 1280X1024, ABRIS + TV on right monitor. GF8800GTS.

Can somebody help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here? I'm using a 17" touchscreen with Touch-buddy on the left along with my main 37" in the center. I'm running 1024x768 on the 17" and 1920x1080 on the 37". Using the following settings, I can get Black Shark and Touch-buddy (using Dick Dastardly's 2-monitor profile) to work together, but with a horrible framerate hit caused by the insane required resolution of 3968x1080 (note this is before trying to use the Phantom Monitor Fix).

options.lua:

["graphics"] =

{

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "dd_shkabr+cam+phantom",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 2,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 1.777777,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 3,

["display_mode"] =

{

["avi"] =

{

["bpp"] = 32,

["full_screen"] = false,

["height"] = 480,

["width"] = 640,

}, -- end of ["avi"]

["effects"] = 2,

["haze"] = 1,

["lights"] = 2,

["height"] = 1080,

["resolution"] = "3968x1080",

["civTraffic"] = 0,

["width"] = 3968,

DD_ShkABR+Cam+Phantom.lua:

Description = 'Shkval & ABRIS on the left, camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1024; --(the width of your leftmost monitor)

y = 0;

width = 1920; --(the width of your primary monitor)

height = 1080; --(the height of your primary monitor)

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = 13;

y = 13;

width = 486;

height = 306;

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 585;

y = 157;

width = 366;

height = 447;

}

My understanding of the Phantom Monitor Fix is that I can just run the exe in the background, change my 'width' in options.lua to reflect the actual two screens I want to render rather than the 3 it renders by default (i.e. 2944 instead of 3968 since I'm not rendering the rightmost 1024 screen anymore), and I should be good to go. But when I do this, the center image and Touch-buddy screen shift to the right by about a third of the 1024's width, and the underlying ABRIS and Shkval no longer line up under the Touch-buddy overlay. And it seems that no matter what I change, both of my screens just refuse to center properly.

Can anybody see what I'm doing wrong here? Has anybody else got DD's Touch-buddy profile working with the Phantom Monitor Fix?

Can somebody help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here? I'm using a 17" touchscreen with Touch-buddy on the left along with my main 37" in the center. I'm running 1024x768 on the 17" and 1920x1080 on the 37". Using the following settings, I can get Black Shark and Touch-buddy (using Dick Dastardly's 2-monitor profile) to work together, but with a horrible framerate hit caused by the insane required resolution of 3968x1080 (note this is before trying to use the Phantom Monitor Fix).

options.lua:

["graphics"] =

{

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 2,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 1.777777,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 3,

["display_mode"] =

{

["avi"] =

{

["bpp"] = 32,

["full_screen"] = false,

["height"] = 480,

["width"] = 640,

}, -- end of ["avi"]

["effects"] = 2,

["haze"] = 1,

["lights"] = 2,

["height"] = 1080,

["resolution"] = "3968x1080",

["civTraffic"] = 0,

["width"] = 3968,

DD_ShkABR+Cam+Phantom.lua:

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1024; --(the width of your leftmost monitor)

y = 0;

width = 1920; --(the width of your primary monitor)

height = 1080; --(the height of your primary monitor)

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = 13;

y = 13;

width = 486;

height = 306;

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 585;

y = 157;

width = 366;

height = 447;

}

My understanding of the Phantom Monitor Fix is that I can just run the exe in the background, change my 'width' in options.lua to reflect the actual two screens I want to render rather than the 3 it renders by default (i.e. 2944 instead of 3968 since I'm not rendering the rightmost 1024 screen anymore), and I should be good to go. But when I do this, the center image and Touch-buddy screen shift to the right by about a third of the 1024's width, and the underlying ABRIS and Shkval no longer line up under the Touch-buddy overlay. And it seems that no matter what I change, both of my screens just refuse to center properly.

Can anybody see what I'm doing wrong here? Has anybody else got DD's Touch-buddy profile working with the Phantom Monitor Fix?

I think a couple of things may be wrong ; aspects , resolution , spelling , try this ;

options.lua:

["graphics"] =

{

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 2,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 2.725,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 3,

["display_mode"] =

{

["avi"] =

{

["bpp"] = 32,

["full_screen"] = false,

["height"] = 480,

["width"] = 640,

}, -- end of ["avi"]

["effects"] = 2,

["haze"] = 1,

["lights"] = 2,

["height"] = 1080,

["resolution"] = "2944x1080",

["civTraffic"] = 0,

["width"] = 3968,

dd_shkabr+cam+phantom:

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1024;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.77;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = 13;

y = 13;

width = 486;

height = 306;

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 585;

y = 157;

width = 366;

height = 447;

}

======================

and make sure your dd_shkabr+cam+phantom is spelled like this ; dd_shkabr+cam+phantom and not like this ;DD_ShkABR+Cam+Phantom.lua

not sure lua sees caps or not , but let's not take any chances

good luck

I also found that the phantom monitor fix exe sometimes needs a bit of 'encouragement', ie I have to alt-tab out of DCS, and double click/unpause the script. Something like that, but I've found it doesn't simply work whilst leaving the exe running in the background - it may just be me or my system though.

Hmm, OK, thanks for the suggestions guys, will try out tonight.

One other odd thing is that even when using cypher1312's exact settings, with my 1920x1080 center resolution replacing his 1680x1050 res, I get this "both screens shifted to the right" problem, i.e. I can't even reproduce what he sees when I use exactly the same options.lua and modified.lua settings that he lists in the first post.