spitfire

Hi folks,

I am somewhat new to DCS. Originally I had the beta A-10 but could never get it to work. The controls were sluggish, among other things. As a result I am little gun-shy to buy the Spit. I have Saitek Pro Flight yoke, Saitek throttle, Saitek rudder & Logitech Attack 3. The system I use to run DCS is a iBUYPOWER i3 530 CPU, 16 GB RAM, 64-bit on Windows 7. Graphics adapter is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220.

Can anyone offer assistance to help get me off the ground with DCS?

Thanks. James Hellyer

Hi James. I am pretty new to DCS as well, and i can tell you you'll find a lot of enthusiast help from many DCS pilots on this forum!

I would suggest that you ask more specifically what kind of help you need and you will have a lot of excellent advice.

Now, you are asking somewhat about the Spit. I would say if you are like I am (absolute newbe to planes) you better get some experience with the included free planes, specially the TF-51. I purchased the Spit some weeks go when it went on sale at half price, and i did just because the offer. At this point I am still struggling with the TF-51/P-51D, and it is much much easier than the Spit. So the spit is in its hangar, just waiting for me to become a better pilot.

To make this shorter, if you already mastered the TF-51D, go for the Spit. If not, get a good grip of the Mustang then go for the Spit (unless the spit goes again on sale).

Of course, if for whatever reasons all you care is for the Spitfire, go for it, and people here will be glad helping you with it.

Good luck, and welcome!

I'd suggest that this issue was more likely to be down to your PC. The minimum and recommended specs for DCS World are:

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

If you have a machine that matches of exceeds the above, then you will find that control responses are never an issue, and as far as the Spitfire module is concerned, I can safely say this is the best ever simulated Spitfire available in the world today. What more recommendation is there than that?

thanks for answering me. it seem that my system meets your requirement. I am not new to sim flying, been using fsx & cfs3 since they came out, enjoy them very much.I fly a2a's spit p-51 p-47 b-17 also I am a licensed pilot. have flown real P-40, P-51, P-47. But wanted to move on to dcs as it sounds like great system. spit is my all time favorite, so guess I will take the plunge. I'm sure I will be asking many question and thank you all in advance for your help.

james

thanks for answering me. it seem that my system meets your requirement. I am not new to sim flying, been using fsx & cfs3 since they came out, enjoy them very much.I fly a2a's spit p-51 p-47 b-17 also I am a licensed pilot. have flown real P-40, P-51, P-47. But wanted to move on to dcs as it sounds like great system. spit is my all time favorite, so guess I will take the plunge. I'm sure I will be asking many question and thank you all in advance for your help.

james

Hehe, a real pilot, and I was suggesting you to master the TF-51! :music_whistling:

You will love the Spit, James. It is awesome.

• Like 1

Hehe, a real pilot, and I was suggesting you to master the TF-51! :music_whistling:

You will love the Spit, James. It is awesome.

+1 Download and try the free TF-51 then decide :)

Great shout artmustel, forget about the TF-51 rep inbound

Amorak I would like to hear your opinions on the TF-51 given your experience :D

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I. Don't think the GT220 will work at all with dcs as it's not DirectX 11 compatible, minimum would be a 500 series nvidia card and even then you would have to play at reduced graphics levels.

If you can afford a new pc the Spitfire is well worth the price of admission.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

James, something doesn't add up. If You have a 220, then You shouldn't be able to play DCS at all nowadays, as the card appears to be not DX11-compatible (judging from brief description I found on the net), thus it doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Unless You use some old DCS version (pre-1.5), but then You will not be able to install Spitfire on that one.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2.0 is only for the NTTR map, which you will have to have early access purchased. I'm not sure what happens if you download 2.0 and try to start it without the map, but even if you could get it started, you wouldn't be able to do anything with it without the map.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Come back when You upgrade Your PC to be compatible with DCS. Hopefully, by that time ED will have released the historic Normandy map, fitting the Spit and other warbirds much better than both current, modern maps.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.