Helmet collision with canopy

Icebeat

Does any know if it is possible to get Helmet collision feedback with the canopy?

Others games detect the collision of your head with the virtual canopy and move the camera position a bit back plus produce a sound so you have the illusion of a real canopy contact.

If we don't have this feature, could be an easy and cool thing to have in VR.

Thanks,

That would make it hard to climb out of the cockpit, Just-Cause-style

Unless the state of the cockpit was included in the coding argument.

It is a feature we need. Especially in cockpits with poor all round vision. Would you suggest that we lose some essential limitations to dogfighting so we can make climbing out of the aircraft realistic when that is such a minor aspect of air combat.

I personally do not care for the helmet collision.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

100% supportive of this, would be a great immersion add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

The only close closed canopy aircraft I have flown in is was a 2 seat Bocian Glider. I don't recall bashing my head against the canopy. Would this routinely happen in a fast jet or WW11 fighter?

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

It certainly is immersion breaking when you look behind and find your head outside of the canopy.

That said, a certain other flight sim does have canopy limits and it can get very annoying.

If this does get implemented, I'd ask that the limits are set not at the virtual head of the pilot, but at the actual eye point, to allow movement to maximum extremities but to avoid graphical breaching the canopy frame.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

"age equalization device"... :huh:

They don't make enough of those ! :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The only close closed canopy aircraft I have flown in is was a 2 seat Bocian Glider. I don't recall bashing my head against the canopy. Would this routinely happen in a fast jet or WW11 fighter?

Unless your head is made of magical matter that transports through thick glass, it would happen in every jet, WW2, etc aircraft to ever exist with a canopy.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Unless your head is made of magical matter that transports through thick glass, it would happen in every jet, WW2, etc aircraft to ever exist with a canopy.

The point I was trying to make was, that from my limited experience I didn't bash my head on the canopy 'cos I knew where it was and so avoided any painful collisions.

I've experienced 'the other' flight sim that has the head collision feature..I found it annoying :doh:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

The point I was trying to make was, that from my limited experience I didn't bash my head on the canopy 'cos I knew where it was and so avoided any painful collisions.

I've experienced 'the other' flight sim that has the head collision feature..I found it annoying :doh:

You might not bash your head on the canopy IRL in a glider, but you're not flying in combat, whipping your head and body around to keep your eyes on your enemy. :smilewink:

For a helmet collision with the canopy, you could just build a little tunnel to put your head under, and you'd have the ultimate in realism. You'd even FEEL the collision! :D

The only problem I see with a thump in the sim would be the physical (virtual) limit to your head movement, when there isn't a limit to it in the real world, so your head tracking would get out of sync with your eyes, and that'll raise the upchuck factor.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

If you get the racing sim Live for Speed and play it in VR your driver is really you...you can lean up and look in the rear view mirror and your driver avatar is looking back at you...your head movements are really there in the game...it's a cool feature.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

One of my all time favorite things to do, is land the Harrier on the aft of the aircraft carrier in multiplayer... then, open the canopy and literally stand up in the cockpit and watch the other pilots land and bolter... its a blast...

So, if they do this, hopefully we'll still be able to stand in the cockpit with the canopy open ;)

By the way... if you havn't tried this yet.... give it a try... its amazing to hear the ocean and watch the Hornets coming in.

Not doing any collision detection on your head movement is the best way to reduce motion sickness. If you move your head and the view stops at some arbitrary position which isn't where your head is, the desync is very very problematic and breaks immersion if not worst.

One of my all time favorite things to do, is land the Harrier on the aft of the aircraft carrier in multiplayer... then, open the canopy and literally stand up in the cockpit and watch the other pilots land and bolter... its a blast...

So, if they do this, hopefully we'll still be able to stand in the cockpit with the canopy open ;)

By the way... if you havn't tried this yet.... give it a try... its amazing to hear the ocean and watch the Hornets coming in.

:thumbup:

Yes I have, it is awesome!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hmm, I haven't done that yet. Sounds awesome!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

So gonna try this. I've opened up the canopy after taxing, but somehow standing up never occured to me.

As for the original topic, I have the "other sim" and I don't care much either way. If I do it its by accident, or on purpose and I pretend I'm a dog...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just darken the screen if the virtual head collides with the canopy.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Not doing any collision detection on your head movement is the best way to reduce motion sickness. If you move your head and the view stops at some arbitrary position which isn't where your head is, the desync is very very problematic and breaks immersion if not worst.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat