New hook/wire behaviour

smallberries

I've been noticing today that I am getting turned sideways on Stennis landings by the wire a bit, which is probably proof of landings that aren't in line, and is really cool. However the wire isn't reliably releasing when I raise the hook. I have even driven back to the back of the ship past the wire strart point and it hasn't released. This, I suspect, is less realistic?

About the latter: There was even a thread about this behavior but i forgot the title. Do you use your breaks after landing? In RL, you must not use your brakes but apply full thrust after touchdown. The tension of the wire pulls you back a little and the wire detaches from the hook. If you brake, you don't move back and the wire stays attached to the hook. Not even ground crew can help you then, because of the risk of injuries when the wire is still under tension.

I've been noticing today that I am getting turned sideways on Stennis landings by the wire a bit, which is probably proof of landings that aren't in line, and is really cool. However the wire isn't reliably releasing when I raise the hook. I have even driven back to the back of the ship past the wire strart point and it hasn't released. This, I suspect, is less realistic?

IRL when you come to a complete stop on a trap, only then will you go idle. No brakes, as the ground crew signals to pull back the wire. It is a little jolt backwards, then the ground crew stops the pullback and the aircraft continues aft till the wire is released from the hook, then they signal for you to go hook up, power up to stop your aft momentum and then taxi off. Brakes aren't really used in the LA.

If you time the power to idle right (NOT right at touchdown, just really a feel thing just before you fully stop), the tension of the wire will pull you back enough to get the wire to drop off, in which case the ground crew will tell you to hook up and taxi.

If you raise your hook and the wire didn't release, they tell you to lower it again, then do the pullback, raise, thing again.

It's pretty accurate, you just don't have a cooperative ground crew helping you get clear in DCS.

Yeah, I do hit the burners when I trap. I think this might have to do with the wire now pulling you back depending on how you were lined up. I was getting away with lining up poorly and the wire was still arresting me in a straight line, whereas now if you're not aligned with the runway the wire seems to be pulling unevenly and it's starting to yaw my jet as I trap. I've actually had it turn me sideways. I think that the wire may be getting caught for that reason, but what was interesting is that I drove back to the aft of the ship until the wire was slack, and it still didn't want to unhook. I mean, there's no way that tying a loop around the hook is actually simulated ... o.0?

I ran into this problem several times (the hook not detaching from the wire), waiting 4 minutes until they pulled me all the way back before it's released. No breaks used, turned on mil on touchdown. It seems to be related to the angle of the aircraft, in some weird way. What you can do, is just wiggle the aircraft from side to side with the nosewheel steering as they are pulling your back, and align your aircraft with the runway. Works every time for me, and the wire releases in seconds. Let me know if your got it to work!