Su-27 instruments functions (?)

Bourrinopathe

The 'Leveled Flight' light (ПРИВЕД К ГОРИЗ) illuminates when the 'Horizon Recovery Mode' of the САУ is activated.

That happens if you press the rightest button on the joystick (also known as panic button) (look at thread page 2 - joystick images). The system then recovers the aircraft to a leveled flight using maximal 5G. This mode also activates additionally if 'Н бар' (hold barometric pressure altitude) or 'Н рв' (hold radar altitude) is on because this modes also establish a leveled flight.

holdaltmodes.png

The previous translated 'canopy warning' (ЗАПРИ ФОНАРЬ) light actually stands for "canopy closed" so when it illuminates the canopy is'nt closed correctly. If it occures during flight one must reduce the speed to maximal 500 km/h put the oxygen mask on and watch the pressure difference which musn't exceed 0.6 kg/cm² (difference cockpit-outside) which is actually the top mark of the black section in the instrument:

post-2860-1138047528_thumb.jpg

If it exceeds and the pilot is at an altitude where the outer pressure isn't lethal he must turn off the pressure system and use the cockpit depressurize switch which releases the pressure of the cockpit:

pitpressure.png

The previous translated 'drogue chute' (ЗАМОК ТП ОТКРЫТ)light illumates obviously if the chute is deployed^^

For the other lights I need some time, I'm currently at page 120 of 280 (of the manual). The weapon related lights (radar lock etc) appear at page ~180

• 6 months later...

The Su-27 upgrade is here!

We can now abuse the direct control switch to bypass the СДУ and pull some cobras in style.

I've just noticed Devrim's cockpit english translation, so I'll drop the link >>> HERE <<< as it's a wonderful learning tool.

Thanks Devrim! Nicely crafted!

The new beta DCS Su-27 manual also contains some useful information. Go grab it ;) (feel free to check the DCS Su-27 thread).

PFM!!! :thumbup:

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Thanks mate.

I'm re-working on all cockpit mods. I'll follow your advice.

Thank you. :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 2 months later...

Here's the fuel gauge warning lights with the corresponding fuel levels:

YA3TSYu.jpg

And that's the note next to the HDD:

FQlGB0T.jpg

I only tested the first warning light and it's on with 5014kg left (not 5590kg as suggested in the note).

(Su-27 for DCS 1.2.14)

UPDATE: the in-game values are:

Бак 4,1....5014 kg

Бак 3.......4004 kg

1.5...........1504 kg

Бак 5.......1004 kg

0.6.............604 kg

Based on the Su-27SK manual, there should be 4 fuel tank groups:

WNLcAyB.jpg

Схема расположения топливных баков

− tank number 1 - 3180 kg; (forward integral fuel tank)

− tank number 2 - 4160 kg; (centre-section integral fuel tank)

− tank number 3 - 1060 kg; (wings integral fuel tanks)

− tank number 4 - 1000 kg; (aft (boom) fuel tank)

TOTAL - 9400 kg.

(that's about 12000L with an average kerosene density of 0.785kg/dm³)

The Su-27 has a rather precise fuel consumption sequence elaborated to preserve its maneuverability/balance (Center of Mass (CM)) (depending on the initial fuel quantity):

With 9400kg fuel, the sequence is:

− 1720 kg from the tank 1;

− empty tank 4;

− empty tank 1;

− 70 kg from tank 2;

− empty tank 3;

− 3210 kg from tank 2, except (consumables compartment? --> расходного отсека);

− empty tank 2 feed compartment

Based on the sequence, the first warning light is on when the tanks 4, 1 and most of the wings tanks are empty (tank 3).

On the fuel gauge, the lights do not exactly correspond to an empty tank (=Бак):

• Б4,1 probably stand for Бак 4 and 1 (9400-5014=4386kg --> Su-27SK tanks 1+4=4180kg | that's close enough ;) )
  • Б3 obviously stands for tank 3 (5590-4430=1160kg (using the note | close to the Su-27SK manual (1060kg)))
  • 1.5 is the 1500kg warning (+ vocal warning message)
  • Б5 (880kg warning (note)) should mean there's a tank 5 (?) there's a 800kg vocal warning message too.
  • 0,6 is the bingo fuel last warning (w/ vocal warning message and bingo fuel vocal message)

The fuel measurement has an accuracy of ± 170 kg.

Game/sim-wise, it's pretty straight forward and there's really no problem using that gauge. The fuel is burning, the light goes on, ok there's roughly that fuel quantity left. Done.

But I'd like to know if there's a specific known structural fuel system schematic for the Su-27S?

Or if anyone could confirm there's a tank 5? (or what it means) (I'm curious)

And if you have the exact value for the fuel quantity left for each warning lights, please do share :thumbup: (values added above)

Any detail would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Bourrinopathe
more data in the data ;)
  • Like 1

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

• 3 months later...
s9dmKCH.jpg

Jt4klb0.jpg

24mjzKH.jpg

GtD6dt4.jpg

wow awesome!

Does it specify anywhere which type of autopilot is enabled when the trigger is pressed? E.g. is the autopilot level is refering to either transition to level flight or if it was supposed to be altitude roll and hold?

Edited by FlyingHighAU

Does it specify anywhere which type of autopilot is enabled when the trigger is pressed? E.g. is the autopilot level is refering to either transition to level flight or if it was supposed to be altitude roll and hold?

If I'm not mistaken: neither of the two.

The autopilot trigger is used to briefly disengage the current autopilot mode(s) (barometric altitude, …) when pressed (and held), to let you adjust the new flight parameters (altitude, attitude, …) and re-engages the previous modes when released.

It acts like a quick bypass and adjustment command.

Here's the original text if you want to translate it:

4.13.2. Совмещенное управление самолетом.

Для изменения положения самолета при включенной автоматической стабилизации (горит сигнализатор АВТОМ, а при стабилизации Нбар и Нрв горит сигнализатор Нбар или Нрв), необходимо:

− нажать гашетку совмещенного управления на ручке управления самолетом, при этом управляющие сигналы из САУ в СДУ не поступают, индикация режимов Нбар и Нрв снимается (сигнализаторы гаснут);

− управляя самолетом вручную, установить требуемое угловое положение в пространстве и нужную высоту;

− отпустить гашетку совмещенного управления, при этом возобновится режим стабилизации новых значений параметров полета и загорится сигнализатор того режима, при котором была нажата гашетка совмещенного управления.

При углах крена и тангажа более 80° после отпускания гашетки совмещенного управления происходит отключение САУ, при этом на приборной доске высвечивается сигнал УПРАВЛЯЙ ВРУЧНУЮ.

Отключить САУ при нажатой гашетке совмещенного управления можно кнопкой СБРОС или кнопкой ОТКЛ САУ.

(Совмещенное управление = combined control)

(the Transition to Level Flight mode is activated by pressing the button to the right, labelled: ПРИВЕД К ГОРИЗ - "Autopilot level" on the picture you linked)

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Like 1

The auto level button is the famous "panic button".

This button allows the pilot to automatically recover the horizontal and level flight both in pitch and roll in a disorientation situation or when loosing situational awareness in IMC.

Auto pilot off is the other SAU off function while pressed to fix the flying attitude and alow the SAU to keep it when released.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

• Б5 (880kg warning (note)) should mean there's a tank 5 (?) there's a 800kg vocal warning message too.
  • 0,6 is the bingo fuel last warning (w/ vocal warning message and bingo fuel vocal message)

Maybe a feed tank?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

...Or if anyone could confirm there's a tank 5?[/b][/size] (or what it means) (I'm curious)

Note that there is a discrepancy between the tank number indications on the gauge/decal and the small schematic drawing you posted - i.e. the central feed tank is labelled "tank 2" in the latter, while there is no "tank 2" indications on the gauge :) .

Since the central feed tank is the last to be emptied, it is clear that this is "tank 5" given the lamp sequence :) . The last light(bottom) is not a tank number reference, but a critical low level warning - i.e. "bingo state".

And if you have the exact value for the fuel quantity left for each warning lights, please do share

I don't think you can get such an exaxt quantity - on the MiG-29 fuelgauge there are yellow markers pointing to the empty tank lamps indicating a range on the fuel tape rather than a specific quantity - i.e. when an empty tank lamp goes on, the remaining fuel quantity is somewhere between value x and y...

Game/sim-wise, it's pretty straight forward and there's really no problem using that gauge. The fuel is burning, the light goes on, ok there's roughly that fuel quantity left. Done.

....like that :)

Edited by Alfa

JJ

Thanks for the help guys.

The tank 5 label on the warning light has to be the feeder tank, indeed. Even if there's no Бак 5 on the structural schematic.

The remaining fuel quantities I've posted are from the game. We'll have to wait for a obsessive-DCS-level Su-27 to simulate the gauge error margin and fluid simulation ;)

------

About the sensors slew and control:

If I'm not mistaken, the radar (and OLS/IRST) elevation and functions are controlled by the weapons control system (СУВ) panel (left console):

LPmdZo8.jpg

The three arrow buttons on the upper left are used to move the "field of view" of the radar and OLS/IRST.

The control knob on the left is used to set the expected target relative elevation (ΔН).

The toggle switches are for the different modes and the laser range finder (ЛД).

The "Su-27 for DCS World" russian manual call the Target Designation Cursor: Строб захвата and as the joystick label on the control stick is ЦЕНТР ЗОНЫ СТРОБ., I'm thinking it's the TDC slew control.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

• 3 months later...
Su-27 fuel tank-sequencing procedure is corrected

Are there any details about this?

Edited by Bourrinopathe

Here's the fuel gauge warning lights with the corresponding fuel levels:

And that's the note next to the HDD:

I only tested the first warning light and it's on with 5014kg left (not 5590kg as suggested in the note).

(Su-27 for DCS 1.2.14)

UPDATE: the in-game values are:

Бак 4,1....5014 kg

Бак 3.......4004 kg

1.5...........1504 kg

Бак 5.......1004 kg

0.6.............604 kg

Based on the Su-27SK manual, there should be 4 fuel tank groups:

WNLcAyB.jpg

Схема расположения топливных баков

The Su-27 has a rather precise fuel consumption sequence elaborated to preserve its maneuverability/balance (Center of Mass (CM)) (depending on the initial fuel quantity):

Based on the sequence, the first warning light is on when the tanks 4, 1 and most of the wings tanks are empty (tank 3).

On the fuel gauge, the lights do not exactly correspond to an empty tank (=Бак):

• Б4,1 probably stand for Бак 4 and 1 (9400-5014=4386kg --> Su-27SK tanks 1+4=4180kg | that's close enough ;) )
  • Б3 obviously stands for tank 3 (5590-4430=1160kg (using the note | close to the Su-27SK manual (1060kg)))
  • 1.5 is the 1500kg warning (+ vocal warning message)

The fuel measurement has an accuracy of ± 170 kg.

But I'd like to know if there's a specific known structural fuel system schematic for the Su-27S?

Or if anyone could confirm there's a tank 5? (or what it means) (I'm curious)

And if you have the exact value for the fuel quantity left for each warning lights, please do share :thumbup: (values added above)

Any detail would be appreciated.

Thanks!

First, thanks for posting that detailed information :thumbup:

Second, I wonder if "tank 5" might be the cache tank for use during inverted flight? From your calculations 'Tank 5' should have a fairly small capacity, which empirically the cache tank does. Odd that it isn't shown in the Su-27 fuel system diagram though.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

About the sensors slew and control:

If I'm not mistaken, the radar (and OLS/IRST) elevation and functions are controlled by the weapons control system (СУВ) panel (left console):

LPmdZo8.jpg

The three arrow buttons on the upper left are used to move the "field of view" of the radar and OLS/IRST.

The control knob on the left is used to set the expected target relative elevation (ΔН).

The toggle switches are for the different modes and the laser range finder (ЛД).

The "Su-27 for DCS World" russian manual call the Target Designation Cursor: Строб захвата and as the joystick label on the control stick is ЦЕНТР ЗОНЫ СТРОБ., I'm thinking it's the TDC slew control.

The control knob on the right is the HUD mode selector with the following settings:

• φ - ФИ0 (phi-0) boresight mode (keyboard 6)
  • навиг - навигационный (navigational) flight mode, sub-modes are probably controlled from the flight director/navpoint panel
  • ОЛС - оптическая локационная станция - BVR EOS mode (keyboard 2 + O)
  • РЛС - радиолокационная станция - BVR radar mode (keyboard 2 + I)

The following three are marked as БЛИЖН. БОЙ for close combat modes.

• верт - вертикальний - vertical scan mode (keyboard 3)
  • опт - оптический - optical (bore) mode with slewable zone (keyboard 4)
  • шлем - Щел-3УМ шлем - helmet mode (keyboard 5)

Considering there's a sliding switch on the stick that changes between ДВБ (long-range) and БВБ (short-range) modes I have no idea how the switch and the panel interact.

Also, for the fuel tank position, the striped area underneath Tank 2 might be the cache tank, as it's marked as расходный насос - same as a switch in the МиГ-21бис cockpit controlling the caching tank pump.

Edited by Stealth_HR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

Quick information from ED :

Su-27 fuel tank-sequencing procedure is corrected

Full configuration:

1600 kg from Tank1

650 kg from Tank4

1560 kg from Tank1

100 kg from Tank2

1060 kg from Tank3

3200 kg from Tank2

350 kg from Tank5

880 kg from Tank2

Normal configuration include only tanks # 2, 3 and 5

Tank #2 is the feeder tank.

The tank 5 has been added to the sequence and the tank 2 quantities have been split accordingly.

These numbers aren't confirmed "final" as the coder is in vacation. ;) (please do not quote)

And thanks to the team for the details! :thumbup:

• Like 1

As far as I understand the details, Svend_Dellepude is right.

The Б.Бой-Д.Бой is used to switch between short-long range missiles (and similar weapons).

From the Su-27SK flight manual, section 5.1.5:

OLyeMKl.jpg

На ручке управления самолетом (РУС) установлены:

− переключатель Б.БОЙ-Д.БОЙ, для выбора вида ракет ближнего боя, при наличии вместе с ними другого оружия;

Since my knowledge of the Russian language is very limited, I won't try to provide a precise translation.

Here's what our brutal friend Google has to say.

Also:

Б. Бой = Ближний маневренный бой

Close range maneuver combat

(Воздушный бой = dogfight)

Д. Бой = Дальний ракетный бой

Long range missile combat

As usual, feel free to clarify or to correct any mistake.

Edited by Bourrinopathe
translation sickness ;)